DWARF FORTRESS - Page 36

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Zpock

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by Zpock »

I think he changed how sleep works altogether, thus he made some mistake that he didn't catch until people tested it.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

manored wrote:i dont know much about programming, but the little I know makes me wonder how this bug came about from a version to other... maybe his finger sliped then he was giving a look on the sleep part? :)
It really depends how sleep is implimented to begin with.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

to much coffe? :lol:
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

SwiftSpear wrote:
manored wrote:i dont know much about programming, but the little I know makes me wonder how this bug came about from a version to other... maybe his finger sliped then he was giving a look on the sleep part? :)
It really depends how sleep is implimented to begin with.
From what I've seen Sleep is simply a very high priority task, functionally the same as any other task.

I think the tasks go something like this in priority:
Sleep
Drink
Eat
Soldier
On Break
Spar at Barracks
Updating Fortress Stockpiles
Harvest Plants
Attend Party
workshop orders in some arbitrary order
Trade at Depot
Conduct Meeting
Fish
Hunt
Plant Seeds
Haul Item

...which is generally OK but some of the tasks are misplaced, Attend Party should be at the bottom of the list as right now you have to undesignate the room the party's in (thus bringing the festivities to an abrupt halt) in order to get your dwarves to go back to work, and then re-designate it so that the remaining unemployed dwarves can go back to partying.

There may be more to priorities than just a linear list, I've definitely see a dwarf Haul Item before Conduct Meeting, Conduct Meeting before Plant, and Plant Seeds before Haul Item, which is what we like to call a nontransitive paradox.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Dwarves don't pick tasks. Tasks pick dwarves. So it's sort of a weird implementation.

The Coma problem was caused by sleep not decreasing the "drowsiness" count for the dwarf.
manored

Post by manored »

I dont know what that word means, wich I suppose is a good thing if you wanna a detailed game :)
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

ok last night i started playing dwarf fortress. the intro of it way just be the (adjective) around but what really caught my attention was the map creator and the long list of instructon that you haft to remember to play the game well.

it took me to 11:20 pm last night to acutaly play a simple game of dwarfortres. thats because the firs time that i ran the map creator and it was nearly finished a bloody runtime error occured.

when i got into the game and had my first look at itim like... what the hell dos this do? what is my goal? how do i build this? whats that? all the things that could be answered iun the help guide when i read it. weel to the instruction page to see what everything does.. see you in an hour when im finished reading!
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

The Wiki has a number of excellent tutorials including a great "Quick Start" guide.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

my hero comes again..
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

pharoph wrote:what is my goal?
losing.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

ok i finaly found out what the basics are...
and yet there are thousands of other option still to be discoverd. how fun :P
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Michilus_nimbus wrote:
losing.
QFMFT.

By the way, did anyone else notice that elves have a disturbing tendency to EAT THE FLESH OF THEIR FALLEN FOES NOW???
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Wolf-In-Exile wrote:
Michilus_nimbus wrote:
losing.
QFMFT.

By the way, did anyone else notice that elves have a disturbing tendency to EAT THE FLESH OF THEIR FALLEN FOES NOW???
They are very ecologically sound, nothing should go to waste.

Also, from the perspective of someone who lives thousands of years a human doesn't seem all that different from a cow.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Pharoph, the best place to get help and answers is probably the #bay12games channel on WorldIRC. There are usually a lot of people in there, and somebody will probably know the answer.
manored

Post by manored »

Changing the game options (they are on a text file) to equalize grass and terrain floor can help too, varied grass can be really confusing :)
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

when you are equiping your caravan with stuff ad training ayour dwarfs what would you equip them or the caravan with? just to know what you guys do.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Havn't played for a long while, there's wars and stuff now? :shock:
manored

Post by manored »

I usually dont change the standart items cause they are fine, but if you change you should make sure to bring at least one anvil (else you will have to buy one to make metal stuff) and plump helmet spawn (Easiest way to feed your dwarves).

As for skills, you should make sure to give at least one of your dwarves some administrative skills as those cannot be gained otherwise. Others skills arent very important since your dwarves can peform then even winhout knowing then, but the most important ones are:
*Miners
*Woodcutter/workers
*Planters
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

ive got up to farming but my dwarves went to sleep so i saved and quit. what is the perpous of a meeting hall?
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

pharoph wrote:ive got up to farming but my dwarves went to sleep so i saved and quit. what is the perpous of a meeting hall?
Leisure and happiness and a nice place for your dwarves to be instead of outside.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”