Screenshots page needs remaking

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

There is a lot of old pictures, which should be removed, so people dont think those are new, and that how doesnt download the game.

What we need, is good pictures which shows where Spring is capable of, and also shows how the gameplay works.

So we should remove all those images which only shows one unit at one feet away, because that is not how the game is played.
Example: http://spring.clan-sy.com/screenshots/screen83.jpg
Someone might get wrong feeling about the game when he looks those kind of pictures...

Another example: http://spring.clan-sy.com/screenshots/screen87.jpg
Looks really messy, and doesnt give the right image of the game. That looks more like a jungle game. Ive never seen trees in any Spring map anyways...

What i suggest, is to make like 3-6 good images from each mod, and put them all in one page as thumbnails. And with the title of the mod.

So just remove almost all of those current screenshots (only few good), and lets create/add new ones, ive seen better in some topics where people pasted their screenshots...

I could gather some screenshots from Unknown-Files mods/maps archives.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

I like the second screenie TBH.

The idea of several shots from each mod is good. Some should just show off the pretty graphics, others should demonstrate gameplay.
Aun

Post by Aun »

Sounds good, but the aGorm tree map screenshot is classic! It shouldn't be removed, it shows how hectic (and glorious) spring games can get.

Now go contact the modmakers for screenshots. =P
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

I don't think Glory Shots should be neglected in favor of just posting all overhead and even icon-zoom screenshots.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Aun wrote:aGorm tree map
Out of interest, what's the name of the map? I want to pick it up.
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

ROFLMAO
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

The aGorm tree-map was never released, which makes it's constant appearance in screenshots everywhere (including Wikipaedia) all the more ludicrous.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I do not agree, it shows the progress of spring over time. Also a lot of the pictures are little interesting things that were tried as the game went along like the tree map.

also we have close up shots because even though the game is not always played at that level, it is nice to show off the details of the units.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Dude, normal people dont care about such things, they just want to play game, not know anything about the history or the small detailed things in the engine.

If we gonna sell this game to people, we need better screenshots.

When i look some new game, i first look at the screenshots, and if they dont look interesting to me, i dont download the game.
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

i have to agree to trademark, it is interesting for spring addicted guys like you and me but not for the potential players, we wonna catch
smoth

Post by smoth »

A bunch of zoomed out shots that just show birds eye perspective are also not interesting.

Things like the agorms tree map look odd and unique. Arghs nuke explosions.. masse's peewee mass death shot then in between that there are tons of great shots.

3 shots are also not enough to show off all mods.

my suggestion would be to make an archive for the old shot because guess what.. people like me go to sites like this one and find them NEAT and make me INTERESTED.

And after that it would be good to just do a mod screenshot section. A wiki styled setup would be good that way mod makers can add/manage their own shots and mods can be added without aggrivating the devs.
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

where's the guy who agressively gave class in photography???

He shall do some nice shots!!
smoth

Post by smoth »

bwa ha ha... I have threads of the stuff on my foram :P
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Caradhras wrote:where's the guy who agressively gave class in photography???

He shall do some nice shots!!
Me? I have a crappy computer though.

Ideally we'd need someone who both a) has a computer that can run Spring on full settings, and b) understands at least the basic concept of pictures having a subject and not just being a confused mass of shit. (Unless it's modern art, I'm sure some museum somewhere paid millions for a confused mass of shit that is somehow a deep commentary on the state of society.)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Felix the Cat wrote:Unless it's modern art, I'm sure some museum somewhere paid millions for a confused mass of shit that is somehow a deep commentary on the state of society.
Thank god I am not the only one who hates that stuff
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

smoth wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:Unless it's modern art, I'm sure some museum somewhere paid millions for a confused mass of shit that is somehow a deep commentary on the state of society.
Thank god I am not the only one who hates that stuff
You have to understand the history of the movement. A lot of it is crap - beating dead horses with new sticks... but a lot of "trash" modern art just has to be looked at in the right way.

Early pop-art and dadaism is a good thing to look into to understand how the morass of stupid crap that we often see now came about. Campbell Soup Cans anyone?

Modernism came from the realization of how everything had been done, except for wierd crap - so let's do the wierd crap. Postmodernism is the admission that the modernists got the last few holes, and it's now all about variations on themes. The problem is that a lot of what people think about as "modern" art is really just guys figuring out what movement involves the least amount of effort for the most return, and then cranking it out. Hence giant fifty-foot blobs of paint at your local art gallery.

But pigeonholing the entire field of modern art like that is missing a lot of wonderful stuff.

/was briefly an art-history geek in university
smoth

Post by smoth »

It is a matter of time, I'd rather spend my effort in aquiring goods from a store rather then look at every yard sale.

you have to admit there is a glut of hack artist modern art.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Ah, Dadaism. I much prefer that to Modern Art.
Peet
Malcontent

Re: Screenshots page needs remaking

Post by Peet »

What map is that?
yeah I know it's agorm's (I think it's his >_>) unreleased tree map, just had to continue the tradition
smoth

Post by smoth »

it was a treemap that agorm made WAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the day... that guy and his damn trees(something that is an OOOOOOOLD joke to those who remember btw)

Return to “General Discussion”