Do you have a computer running Vista ? - Page 2

Do you have a computer running Vista ?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you have a computer running Vista ?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 79

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Vista has more controls than XP.

As for Hi definition sound, its just that Microsoft have decided to stop nannying soundcard makers by making the drivers and their APIs all work nicely together and forcing the sound card people to do what the rest of the hardware industry does, liek the graphics card and printer people.

There are drivers for those sorts of sound cards.

As for nvidia and ATI, they've had quite a long time to build their drivers, and the 8800 card is no exception. Ontop of that I and other have been reporting the same bug to nvidia for months and no fixes as of yet.....
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

maybe the 8800 is screwed and you should just RMA your card.. :roll:
drolito

Post by drolito »

Probably my CPU can work with Vista ... but vista is not better than XP for a simple core ...
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

I've got a question (to the ones who use vista and think its useful):

What does Vista better than XP?
I mean, they took five years to code it and there is not even a new filesystem!
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

I'm throwing in with AF, I think its a driver quality issue. After the Catalyst 7.3 fiasco causing huge amounts of BSODs on people including forcing me to do a system restore to get a working PC back I went ahead and bought an 8800GTS that should be here tomorrow. Nvidia is almost certainly ahead in OpenGL support which means I should be able to play Spring again.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ok to the list of games that dont work with my 8800 reliably (driver crashes) I can add:

Supreme Commander
STALKER shadow of chenobyl
X3 Reunion

HOWEVER

I have noticed some things.

I can play Gundam 1.1Q Epic coms on altored divide for 40 minutes, but I can play tiny com on small supreme battlefield for 30 seconds.

Also when playing X3 reunion if ti crashes the game recovers and pretends nothing happened and I carry on playing, its just a 2-3 seconds black screen.

This momentary black screen happens in Supcom too and STALKER, but these two games also crash sometimes when it happens, its a roll of the dice.

Star Trek armada 2 (DirectX 8) works perfectly.

I have CC3 here to test sometime.

nvidia have a set of new 8 series cards coming out e.g. 8500 GTS, and they're not listed in the 100.65 drivers, so they need to release a new set of drivers soon for these cards other than the beta 101.41 I'm using (same results in 100.65 WHQL drivers). nvidia have ahd amonth to work on the 101.41 drivers to fix issues and I've been sending a torrent of complaints and bug reports to them over that time.

Also, Vista ppl with nvidia cards. When you want to change your driver, downgrade or upgrade, you have to uninstall the drivers first or they become unstable. This doesnt just mean running the nvidia uninstaller, it also means going into device manager, uninstalling the 8800 hardware and saying yes when it asks if you also want to uninstall the drivers that run it.

Overall Vista is more secure, stable, better interface all round (I aint talking about aero), and a lot of design silly mistakes in XP are fixed. My one and only qualm is nvidia drivers.
FuzionMonkey

Post by FuzionMonkey »

I have vista and an 8800 and its pretty cool, but games crash occasionally. Supcom runs fine though... its really nice with full detail. Using 100.65. I tried the 101.41 but they didn't work as well for me.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

There are some bugs in 100.65 that're fixed in the 101.45 betas that I prefer like being able to come out of sleep without graphics screwing up.
Wasp

Post by Wasp »

AF, you may need to RMA your card,
I'm using an XFX 8800 GTS, on Vista 64-BIT I'm have no problems running Supreme commander, stalker, X3 and oblivion, not a single crash.

I'm on the 101.41 drivers.
drolito

Post by drolito »

Caradhras wrote:I've got a question (to the ones who use vista and think its useful):

What does Vista better than XP?
I mean, they took five years to code it and there is not even a new filesystem!
Vista is like XP ... it is for business only :D (few add ...)
If u buy a new CPU u can put Vista on it but it's really not necessary to change your XP for a Vista !!!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I have 32 bit vista.

And whats an RMA?
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

It's when you return something because it's broken.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

drolito wrote:Vista is like XP ... it is for business only :D (few add ...)
If u buy a new CPU u can put Vista on it but it's really not necessary to change your XP for a Vista !!!
I can put a pancake on my head too...
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

i m not willing to spend money for vista or buying a new pc.

But i am keen of the technical (!) advantages of vista, if there are any.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

A little research shows I'm not the only one suffering this issue, there are plenty of grumbling 6200 7900GS and 8800GTX users suffering from the dreaded nvlddmkm crash.
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

i really really like how my OS is set up right now, and the familiarity and all is very good

until vista offers up something that is simply irresistible and smooths out all its faults and growing pains ill stick with XP

so yah....basically im too lazy ^^
Wasp

Post by Wasp »

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

After my last post I changed my TDR delay registry key to 5.

I managed to play 4 GDI missions and 1 NOD mission before cc3 gave em ym first TDR related driver crash.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R shadow of chenoybl is also much more stable, and my main reason for crashing out of that now is not drivers at all but a bug in the game (installed patch).
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

Because no one is able or willing to point out the technical advances of vista, i officially declare vista, its driver system and nvidias drivers are made of pure phail
smoth

Post by smoth »

that is nice, can we lock the thread now?

Return to “General Discussion”