floting buildings

floting buildings

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Zoombie

floting buildings

Post by Zoombie »

Why cant we also ahve floting buildings, where you have dirigables and hover tanks floting over a massive abysse and a few platoues. If a unit is knocked off the side of a platue than it would pummit to its death. Air craft would plunge into the depths of teh chaseme as missles and rockets smash it out of the sky. Dirigable baloones will burst into flames as the buildings they carry drift downward slowly.
zzymyn

Post by zzymyn »

I had to read that 10 times before I got it...

Do you mean terrain with... no terrain? Like infinite depth?
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

I guess he means the ta maps had fog as non passable terrain. Looked pretty cool somehow. Even i didn't play that maps often.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

He's probably asking for maps like the on set ones Tremblor, with isles protuding out of an ocean of impassable clouds:
(Don't freak out, it's not Spring but 3D demo replayer)

Save that he wants the chasm to be bottomless, and not use the cheap trick of the cloud surface hiding it. And he wants falls animation and all.

While it would be nice if Spring could handle acid maps, lava maps, and clouds maps with appropriate special FX and pathfinding intelligent enough to know how to behave on each, I would probably takes much complex changes to make it works like in Zombie's post, and there's more urgent issues to deal with first.

Maybe a single .smd tag to make water level impassable could suffice for now, as anyway it's already all what used cavedog's lava and cloud map. (But maybe we need a more precise tag to define whethere shots hitting the "water" surface provoke a lava splash or are just "absorbed" by clouds.)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

for a moment there I thought you meant thigns like flying buildings like in starcraft or platforms.

I wodner, how high up are the clouds in spring? Could we change an aicrafts unit file so it could fly up past the clouds? Perhaps its somethign soemone should try out (take screens if you do)
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

aren't the clouds the border of the skybox? I don't know if it's a good idea to let objects fly out of skybox :-).

If you mean the clouds on pic above .. this is just another kind of water/lava, but it would look great if a plane is falling down into fog it just fades out!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

No I meant clouds as in the clouds you see in the sky on any spring map with clouds turned on
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Those clouds are just a background picture, at the infinite. They're not 3D, and they're not reachable.

Return to “General Discussion”