Some thoughts and observations

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Not sure if i should post it here, mods feel free to move it.

after testing the game for some time i found the following, i hope i'm not duping to much

- Nukemissles and balasitc "bullets" aren't shown on the radar/minimap, this could be handy for tracking the bertha/nukelauncher

- Units autoheal ... was this the case in TA?

- Constructionaircraft often don't hover above their projects, and by doing that wasting time.

- U can't force fire on friendly units

- When u hover your mousepointer above a unit and hold shift u can see a red ring, it's weapon range i believe, however when u select a unit and press "a" and then hold shift the ring isn't displayed, i wish it was, would be usefull for bertha targeting etc.

- When a nuke laucher is producing a nuclear missle u can't see the progress

- Unit fire at the units instead of the blips, so autotargeting facility is useless

- OTA should be the default "mod" IMO instead of XTA. This OTA mod could still need a tiny bit of balancing.

- it would be nice if the water moved up and down a tiny bit, the reflective effect is moslty lost when u are viewing from the TA-camera.

- Units still get stuck sometimes on heavy slopes

i hope i provided some usefull thoughts/obeservations.
The Grand Poobah

Post by The Grand Poobah »

- When u hover your mousepointer above a unit and hold shift u can see a red ring, it's weapon range i believe, however when u select a unit and press "a" and then hold shift the ring isn't displayed, i wish it was, would be usefull for bertha targeting etc.
This is a good idea. It's a lot more useful than the way TA did it (just changing the cursor when out of range) because it would be much easier to see what's in range and what's not, and it would work for mobile units. This should definitely be added at some point.
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

"- Nukemissles and balasitc "bullets" aren't shown on the radar/minimap, this could be handy for tracking the bertha/nukelauncher " - is this really needed? You can track a nuke by looking in the direction where it came from.

"- Units autoheal ... was this the case in TA? " - No, it wasn't. It's something the SY put in for some reason, can't say I like it.

"- Constructionaircraft often don't hover above their projects, and by doing that wasting time. " - The way the con.airs move when building is constantly being improved as I can see, but it still has a lot of bugs, yes.

"- U can't force fire on friendly units " - you can, it's just that certain units refuse to commit friendly fire. Some units can, you can try to order gunships to attck each other - I think that works.

"- When u hover your mousepointer above a unit and hold shift u can see a red ring, it's weapon range i believe, however when u select a unit and press "a" and then hold shift the ring isn't displayed, i wish it was, would be usefull for bertha targeting etc. " - Yeah, could be useful.

"- When a nuke laucher is producing a nuclear missle u can't see the progress " - You can, there's a red bar near its health bar showing progress.

"- Unit fire at the units instead of the blips, so autotargeting facility is useless " - Units DO fire at the blips, not the units. Artillery constantly miss distant targets because of this, vlaunch missiles keep hitting somewhere near your units if out of sight range, etc. Only guided missiles have issues with this, but I think they track the blips too.

"- OTA should be the default "mod" IMO instead of XTA. This OTA mod could still need a tiny bit of balancing. " - Totally agree. OTA needs to have a few things changed to account for the Spring engine specifics.

"- it would be nice if the water moved up and down a tiny bit, the reflective effect is moslty lost when u are viewing from the TA-camera. " - I don't know how much that is possible, given that the water surface is normally a non-deformable plane... maybe animated shaders?

"- Units still get stuck sometimes on heavy slopes " - I think they always will. :P
MrAstrup

Another possible bug

Post by MrAstrup »

I have noticed several times that if I choose my commander, selects a building to build from the build menue and then wants to return to the map without building anything, then I can´t click anywhere on the map to come back without either constructing a building (left click!) or giving my commander a move order (right click). This is extremely annoying when making a build queue.

I guess it´s a bug - otherwise I´m just not familiar with the interface yet.

I suggest that if a building is selected and you right click, then the first right click will deselect your building that you are dragging with the mouse pointer and the 2nd right click will then be a move order. I guess that would solve the problem

-MrAstrup
WeaZ

Post by WeaZ »

MrAstrup thanks very much for bringin that up cause I forget about it because it doesnt come up enough its very rare I do it but very annoying when I do.
chillaaa

Re: Another possible bug

Post by chillaaa »

MrAstrup wrote:I have noticed several times that if I choose my commander, selects a building to build from the build menue and then wants to return to the map without building anything, then I can´t click anywhere on the map to come back without either constructing a building (left click!) or giving my commander a move order (right click). This is extremely annoying when making a build queue.

I suggest that if a building is selected and you right click, then the first right click will deselect your building that you are dragging with the mouse pointer and the 2nd right click will then be a move order. I guess that would solve the problem

-MrAstrup
Hit escape, that works for me
cyclerboy

beta

Post by cyclerboy »

its a beta version, give the programers a break.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

We're just giving feedback, which programers could use for futher improvments.

And sadly things which aren't good yet, will get most attention, but those are also the things which need more work.

good things can be left alone

so feedback is good i think
zzymyn

Re: beta

Post by zzymyn »

cyclerboy wrote:its a beta version, give the programers a break.
The whole point of releasing something as beta is feedback!
mongus

Re: Another possible bug

Post by mongus »

MrAstrup wrote:I have noticed several times that if I choose my commander, selects a building to build from the build menue and then wants to return to the map without building anything, then I can´t click anywhere on the map to come back without either constructing a building (left click!) or giving my commander a move order (right click). This is extremely annoying when making a build queue.

-MrAstrup
I get that situation alot.
As stated, u can hit ESC to cancel build order, also u cand use the S key, but this will cancel current action aswell. (guarding moving, building..)
I think the best solution is if right button cancels build. (only selected build item).

Also realted but not directly, very often i need my commander to stop guarding some lab, and start building something.
Usually i hit the structure build button and THEN (before placing any new structure request) realize my commander would never start building the next thing in the cue because he is guarding the lab.....

In this case, it would be very nice it stop button or S key ONLY cancels current order, and not current selected building. ( is this undestandable?).
So i can then cancel the guard order, and dont have to re issue build request... then just click the new building destination and my commander start with the new cue.

Also... would be very very (very) nice to have a REPEAT (last building) key, just like in good old Autocad 14 (its in 2004 too, but needs config), or rhino.. or... U can get very fast at Cad using this mode.

An example of the usefulness of this key can be shown when building metal extractors.

(This last request can overlap sometimes the one b4 it...)

Maybe this could be an hidden bind? or in setup?

:-) :shock:
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

I'd like to comment on OTA being the standard mod. I think the reason they chose XTA is to make sure there is as little as possible original OTA content inside the install to prevent getting into trouble.

Hmm I thought of something else. Maybe it's nice to be able to press the S key which actually stops the unit doing anything. But maybe if you have a con vehicle and you press Alt S or something exotic, you move through the build queue and step by step the queue is cancelled. I think it's quite a handy command so you don't have to do the entire queue again
Last edited by Redfish on 04 May 2005, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
el_muchacho

Post by el_muchacho »

Yup, the last thing we want to see is the project being shut because of legal issues. So I'm affraid this is more important than anything else.
I wonder if the sounds could be a source of problems.
And for my own taste, XTA is good and EvOTA even better.

Return to “General Discussion”