there is more to spring then BA and SPEEDMETAL - Page 5

there is more to spring then BA and SPEEDMETAL

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

manored

Post by manored »

smoth wrote:Noobs somewhere are told that they need to play speedmetal and ba is the only good mod. They play only that. [/b]
Are you saying that there is some sort of conspiracy to make noobs play only those mods/map? That sounds like paranoia, but thats probaly what they spoke for Newtow then he discovered gravith... :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

No conspiracy manored. It is the way things are. I have seen enough in my overall time in spring to know that is how things work.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

begining yyour first months on spring on speedmetal is a terible idea. it just makes you leArn all the wrong things so you have to unlearn them again. I like the autohost anti-speedmetal defence. It forces noobs to learn to play properly instead of just playing SM because theres no learning curve to sit through.
Andreask

Post by Andreask »

There is EE. I like playing EE, its a fun mod, beautiful to look at too.
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

How about a 'try something new day'. Say first weekend each month anyone who is interested in trying something different such as Gundam makes an effort to host or join a non BA game. That might make it easier for people who are curious about other mods to find a game.

Other totally untested ideas on promoting a mod:

Host games in the lobby. Even announce ahead of time when you plan to host games for a specific mod.
Post replays on the replay site.
Work out which AI plays your mod best and post a link to that AI anywhere you can download the mod.
Create a single player campaign
Find a unique selling point for the mod and try and talk it up. AA/BA's unique selling point was that it was the best balanced mod (whether you agree or not).
I final option is to market a mod as a game outside of the Spring community. I haven't played gundam, but my impression is that it would appeal to a different group of players to TA based mods. Of course if would be Gundam players are recruited from outside and come into the lobby to find nothing but BA/XTA that might put a damper on things....
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

double post....
overkill

Post by overkill »

there is also AA and speedrnetall
Last edited by overkill on 26 Feb 2007, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

Players in the lobby right now: 160
Speedmetal games with more than one player in-game: 1

SM hasnt been popular for a long time, do you guys even go into the lobby??
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

How about a SM-FASTEND Weapon in every Mod? A Weapon that needs ridcolous extreme Amount of Metall to load & Energy to - to clear out A SM-Base Sized TargetArea and shows a Warning Area.. Like a SM-Only Nuke..

All SM Games solve after 5 Mins.. but the problem remains. They are just casuals.. although they runin the Hardcore playerbase to -by getting Noobs away from it..
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

You can disable units (though I don't think SMers are smart enough for that) and of course SM games always have stupid rules about what is allowed so it's probably "NoSM5ME".
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Before, you used to be able to join the battleroom of mods you didn't have, and then other player would link your to the mod.

Now, you can't even join the battleroom if you don't have the exact same mod as the host.

I think this also prevent casual players to play other mods.
nineinchnick

Post by nineinchnick »

Yeah and if the mod isn't on unknown files i can't even easily jump in and ask for a link. Sure, I can find that player on the list and send private message but I want things to go as easily as it can be.

To add to the topic: people have tendencies. They don't usually join games with mods different than BA or some new/unusual maps.
A bittorrent client build into the lobby to share mods/maps between the host/players would be heaven.
manored

Post by manored »

Hum... if you think well about it, the very existence of this topic is already one sign that the part of spring that likes the smaller mods is trying to increase the amount of people that play their favorite mods... interesting thing to see... :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote:How about a SM-FASTEND Weapon in every Mod? A Weapon that needs ridcolous extreme Amount of Metall to load & Energy to - to clear out A SM-Base Sized TargetArea and shows a Warning Area.. Like a SM-Only Nuke..

All SM Games solve after 5 Mins.. but the problem remains. They are just casuals.. although they runin the Hardcore playerbase to -by getting Noobs away from it..
This doesn't address the speed boost problem.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

Why not make a thread about any bad map cause jeezus christ this is like a thread bumped from 5 months ago
smoth

Post by smoth »

Ishach wrote:Why not make a thread about any bad map cause jeezus christ this is like a thread bumped from 5 months ago
Yet you posted in it 4 times as of now...............
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

speedmetal is quite a fun map to play and i see lots of 'good' players playing it

the spring community is full of hags.

OH NOEZ IT SPEEDMETAL MUST BE FUL OF NUBS COS TO MANY METALS ANDTHEY OBVIOUSLY DONT PLAY SPRING FOR FUN LIKE ME COS I PLAY SPRING TO BE KEWL LIKE THE KEWL KIDS...
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

speedmetal is an old map no-one plays it anymore
Lolsquad_Steven

Post by Lolsquad_Steven »

I play it :'(
Sgt Doom

Post by Sgt Doom »

I play it because I simply want a quick game, I do not have time for 1 hour+ games nowadays.

Return to “General Discussion”