there is more to spring then BA and SPEEDMETAL - Page 2

there is more to spring then BA and SPEEDMETAL

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

FLOZi wrote:This thread will achieve nothing.
Except getting people to talk about it. The problem with 80% of the player base thinking this is all that is spring..
FLOZi wrote:In lobby advertising ftw!
Some of us are working on scripts art or models so we cannot advertise our mods. Others are playing them. Even more bothersome is the constant retarded drivel that is main.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

There are currently like 2 games of speedmetal up with players in them why do people still care about it
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

1) Supply and Demand
2) Natural Selection
3) Deal with it. Bitching is not a way to promote shit.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Dragon45 wrote: 1) Supply and Demand
Supply and demand is an economic principle that has to do with the availability or lack there of when it comes to goods or services. There is a constant supply and the demand is met. What I am talking about is the fact that people think that is how they should play spring because that is what they were told.
Dragon45 wrote: 2) Natural Selection
ummm no, dude that a set of principles from biology that require actual offspring to even be applied. In other words.. we would have to talk about off shoots and mutators.

Dragon45 wrote: 3) Deal with it. Bitching is not a way to promote shit.
I am not trying to promote anything, I am trying to make a statement. What would I be trying to promote? How is ANYONE in here bitching?

If anything, it is a matter of people lacking the ability to think for themselves, a lack of mental independence. The ability to survive and think on their own is lacking. So I am saying, there IS MORE to spring then playing speed metal with BA,
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Natural Selection isn't about mutation, it's about killing off the unfit. In other words, do your duty, shoot a speed metaller!
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

The problem here is that most people play Spring because of its TA roots, not because of its exciting modding opertunities. While I respect and admire the huge amounts of work that has obviously gone into the total conversions like Gundam, EE, NB, et al, I play Spring for BA cause its basically TA in 3D. Most people come to know the Spring project through its TA links, not because of its vast array of awesome mods, and play it because it is TA. If you were to advertise outside the Spring community about the different mods, then you will most likely get non-TA players in playing the non-TA mods.

As for getting rid of the Speed Metalers, I dont think that will ever happen :(
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

there is more to spring then BA and SPEEDMETAL
This topic divided by zero. OH SHI...
tombom

Post by tombom »

People play what they like to play.

Maybe have an autohost up, the EE and nanoblobs had a lot of people playing because people were more likely to just jump in and have a go.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

IBTL
And oh, EE ftw
smoth

Post by smoth »

WHERE'S THE RUM GONE!
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

I know what else there is.

Smurfing on speed metal.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

Dragon45 wrote:1) Supply and Demand
2) Natural Selection
3) Deal with it. Bitching is not a way to promote shit.
I wrote a big rant about this that probably applies here
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

i play BA and speedmetal all the time and im really cool
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

dm4, big game hunters, q2dm1, de_dust, pro-q3dm6 and speedmetal won't go away. live with it.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Let them play speedmetal. they will get bored after one year...
drolito

Post by drolito »

i always like to play a little speed metal even if i play most of the time others map ...

SpeedMetal, Speedrnetal, MetalHeck, SpeedMetalDuo, SpeedMetalQuattro, SpeedMetal Island ... they are all very funny ...

But it's sure that is not the same challenge ...
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

If people like to play speedmetal and BA, let the play speedmetal and BA. What's the problem. Honestly, why would you care? They are not taking anything away from you.

If you wan't more people playing a certain mod, advertise with people who are not currently playing spring. Most mods are a lot closer to a current commercial RTS game than they are to Speedmetal. Just because Speedmetal uses the same engine (and even mod) as your favorite mod does not make them similar games.

Trying to recruit players for other mods from the speedmetal playing group is pretty dumb imho. Speedmetal is about build orders, and huge armies blasting the living hell out of each other. "Real" mods and maps are very different, and are much more complex to play.

Make pretty posts with screenshots, in-depth tutorials, all downloads and so on on other forums to get people interested in your mod. Make a channel in the client just for those people, organize newbie joining evenings where you spec their games and help them. Write FAQs and stuff. Spring has an extremely difficult learning curve, so you 'll need to make it easier for people.

But please, don't go around insulting people who play certain maps or mods in the community you are trying to help. It leads to no goal.

By the wy, I checked. Right now there are an equal number of BA and XTA games, and only one active Speemetal game.
manored

Post by manored »

People only stop playing mods/maps/games they like then they get tired of it,
so its useless to just say to em (play other mods/maps). If you wanna em to play something else, you must directly point a map/mod/game as a good one and suggest em to play it. Even this way you may achieve nothing, but at least you tried... :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

Noobs somewhere are told that they need to play speedmetal and ba is the only good mod. They play only that.

What is the problem with this? Outside of the constant whining about the lack of speedmetal games in the lobby? Lets see, no mod was meant to be played on speedmetal. Why? Speedmetal not only drasticaly increases the unit's move speed but it also has a very high metal value. Mods are balanced based on metal extraction levels, movement speeds and several other factors. This destroys the balance of ANY mod.

A lot of you seem to think that I am upset that they are not playing other mods and more specifically gundam. Frankly, I am offended, I am seldom in the lobby to give a shit. Even more so, no one plays gundam or gives a fuck about it because "its anime" as I have said before, I don't fucking care. I promote gundam in it's thread and ocassionaly talk about it on /m/ in 4chan. Some of you more paranoid people might say... but smoth is always on about gundam!?! I am, because I am always working on it. It is my current project, can I not talk about what I am working on without people thinking I am shoving it in their face?

If I wanted to promote gundam I would add in seed and wing. Then every one of you 'tards would be up to your ears in otaku morons. Which is not my intent. This whole site would be infected with fan fictions, fan art, people talking about how hot lacus cline is and how manly kira is. There would be tons of transexual art and gay manga. I could constantly start threads about it and be a complete attention whore. I have the typing speed to constantly flood the forum with discussion. I am not in the top 10 posters because I only post one liners. Instead, I think my time is better spent improving gundam, working on effects, balance and giving those effects to other mods.

I probably could get in the lobby and spend all my time recruiting players instead of helping the other mods and working on gundam. I could just stop helping other mods get better and keep what I create to myself. However, that is not what I want. I have said it many, many, times, that to me spring having a great variety is IMPORTANT to me.

I AM GOING TO SAY THIS IN CAPS! PLAY STARWARS, PLAY EE I DO NOT CARE THAT YOU GUYS DO NOT LIKE GUNDAM! I DO NOT CARE THAT IT HAS A SMALL PLAYER BASE! I DO NOT CARE THAT FF, WHICH IS CRAP AND RUINED BY OPTIMUS IS MORE PLAYED THEN GUNDAM! I DO NOT CARE THAT MY EFFECTS IN THIS NEXT VERSION ARE FUCKING PIMP AND FEW OF YOU WILL SEE THEM! THE ONLY THING THAT BOTHERS ME, is that noone LOOKS AT THE FUCKING THING. It is a nice mod and at least could be looked at once.

What did I mean by the topic of this thread? Very simply just that statement. I think that people need to stop saying that spring is BA/AA+Speedmetal. What about BA on moonquartlet? or narrowvalley, AAVIKO or any of the other maps outside of altored divide or greenfeilds? What about some NOTA, BOTA or EE? ANYTHING, I do not care, just get out of your boxes and try more things. Spring is a GREAT thing dispite it's flaws it has a lot of offer. I WANT to see more people experience all of this. Then we might keep more players!
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

What is an otaku?

Other than that, I agree with everything you just said. I came to Spring to play TA in 3D...then I got bored. Then I played EE and wasn't bored anymore. Then I got Gundam shoved at me, shrugged and said, "Okay," and then I played that and realized "Hey, this is pretty fun!" and played that.

It's as simple as trying something new. If you like it, play it...if you don't like it, how come?

Return to “General Discussion”