Spring got no mention in MOTY

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwarden

Post by Dwarden »

i'm suprised that there is no single mention of Spring or it's mods in 2006 MOTY at MODDB.com ...

especially when there was so nice Mod of The Year voting about 2006 (IMHO very well done) and as Spring matured a lot in 2006 ...

read more http://features.moddb.com/287/mods-of-2 ... rs-choice/

wonder why .... maybe RTS genre (and OSS) is less" interesting than tons of FPS mods and projects...

oh well :(
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

or maybe because moddb counts Spring as a game, not a mod, thus you can't vote it in for MOTY
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

We need support for one mod to win a place, and guess what? Our masterpieces are unpopular, our community is divided and our headcount is low!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Guessmyname wrote:or maybe because moddb counts Spring as a game, not a mod, thus you can't vote it in for MOTY
No one nominated any spring mods. That's basically the only reason. I doubt BA would have gotten mod of the year, most likely you wouldn't even see it mentioned, but at least we could have had a voting page up.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I nominated one...
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

we would have got like a 20th of the player support of the big mods.....

this community it small.
smoth

Post by smoth »

springs player base on an active day would be at best 340.

That is not enough to get honorable mention. Also the only mod that would get voted for BA or AA.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

And BA/AA just change stats of original cavedog units. Whereas the winning mods have all new cool content, music, stories. Compare the quality of the hl2 mod Minerva: Metastasis with springs mods for example.

Ofcourse, part of the problem is that the spring engine doesn't really support the features of commercial games (Skinned models, good music, single player campaign to start with), so it's not even possible to get that kind of completeness in a spring mod.
smoth

Post by smoth »

:( I made a mod jc.. :*(
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

The Playerbase is the big Problem. If we take out the SM-Casuals we have not even 340 but somewhere near to 200.

I today let my little bro (10year old) play Spring vs AI. I gave him no Advice - and i returned 1 hour later and he was still alive.. and he is a fan. So we do little steps but we move on.

But the Chance of that little Player beeing scared of were big.. so what we need is a dumb-porcy AI, challenging every new player in a Autostarting FirsGame on SmallDivide... in one of the three GPL-Free (EE,GD, NB)..
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

I made a mod jc.. :*(
Yes, but AA/BA have the largest player base to vote, and besides that Spring doesn't feel complete, so mods can't feel complete either.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I think the most proffesional mod is probably EE.
Relative

Post by Relative »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:I think the most proffesional mod is probably EE.
Yet no one plays it, which ****** me off.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

EE may be the most advanced mod (and even the best), but it really needs some love in the marketing department. replays, showoff tournaments, #main spam, etc. ;)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

You have no idea what I've been up to, have you? Anyway, next MOTY is going to be different. I am about to start a hard-line advertising campaign for the engine and the legal mods.

Return to “General Discussion”