Individual unit kills and scores

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

CaptainMaim

Post by CaptainMaim »

I was wondering if someone... Or if it were simply possible to make it so a particular unit's kills could be displayed in place of or in addition to it's expirence score.

Also, I was wondering if the graphs at the end of the game could include some exact numbers to go off of, more like the OTA end game scores.

I think the graphs are fine but I'd like to see the exact numbers at the end as well.

This may be too much but what do the delta scores mean? Is that rates of change?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I've never been able to make heads of tails of the graphs, OTA style stats would be a huge improvement.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Second! Those graphs are not only hard to sence make, and have really weird bits of information that I don't care about in it, like how many mouse clicks. What the hell? Who wants to know how many clicks you've done throughout a game!
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

I love the graphs, look at them after every game, and would be highly disappointed to see them disappear in favor of a dumbed down version.
CaptainMaim

Post by CaptainMaim »

A hybrid could be made of course... One with more specific information, and those graphs. But most of the time I don't know what all the abreviations mean. Let alone if I'm really interested in them. It's just random letters with numbers on them to me.

And second, I'd really like to be able to see my score BEFORE the game finishes. I tend to try a little harder when I see I'm lagging behind. Plus one of the things I liked doing in OTA was kill racing (there was however little else to race in OTA, just resource production, but what else would you race?) But can't do race in Spring since you can't tell mid game how your doing. I can't even tell how many kills (i.e. How effective) a particular gun has. I just get some strange number. I don't have any frame of reference to tell me what the unit expirence means. Does it make it shoot straighter? I understand it's not even possible to derive how many kills came from it since it also counts general hits, and even that varies from target to target. So what's it all mean? I miss getting unit kill counts on units and pressing F4 to get a kills/deaths score board.

Oh, and one last thing, since the expirence gets averaged out once you include multiple units it's a poor way to tell how effective a group of units is. A straight kill count that's cumulative for all the units selected would be MUCH better.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

I love graphs too and find them very usefull. I wait till end of each game just to see them and compare my economy, damage dealt and such..
Day

Post by Day »

i love the clicks and commands per minute

oh and the graphs are good to, you can see how much you produced compared to other players
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

With my mild colour sight defiency, I find it almost impossilbe to read the graphs. Or did last time I checked a couple versions ago.
CaptainMaim

Post by CaptainMaim »

Well yeah I like that too (comparing against other players) but without hard numbers, all you can see is how well the best player did at their best time. Sometimes one player dominates so much that all the other lines of other players are like 1 or two pixels tall. So you can't even tell how they did amongst eachother.

Without a final score in numerical form and with irregular grid spacing it makes it hard to more than loose comparative analysis. Like say if your graph ends at 4349, you'd have to count how many squares the grid is tall and then divide it by the top value to even be able to approximate what someone else did during the game.

I still don't understand what you can learn from counting the number of clicks you made during the game.

I wish there were a kills grid, showing each player's kills on eachother player with a kills and deaths total at the end. Even if it's a new page added to what's already there, I'd be happy just to have that to look over.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

Kills tells you nothing.

Clicks tell you how fast a player can give orders to units. The faster you can give orders the closer you can match the speed of your thoughts to your game.

A bad player can send 5 weasels to your base

A mediocre player can split the weasels into two groups and attack

A good player can quickly lure, feint and maneuvre the 5 weasels to keep them alive while doing most damage.

A great player can do all this as well as queuing five buildings into all his convehs.

People who dont understand what RTS is about try and make out that micromanagment is all some countrstrike-style twitch gaming. Managment, and CMD/m is all about interfacing with the game and putting into play more complex tactics than your opponen in a shorter period of time.

People like seeing their kills so when they lose a game they can look at the stats and think themselves the true and unrecognised tactical genius for killing more units.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Yup, if you had to pick one stat to compare players with, commands per minute would be the best one in my opinion.
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

jellyman wrote:With my mild colour sight defiency, I find it almost impossilbe to read the graphs. Or did last time I checked a couple versions ago.

to read graphs:

PRESS RIGHT AND LEFT mouse button on deisreid value (i allways check if i dealt most damage and gahterd most metal :) )

Its really stupid cause pplz dont know this RIGHT and LEFT click crap .
bwansy

Post by bwansy »

Kill count doesn't tell us anything. Killing a flea isn't like killing a krogoth, but both only count as one.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

ginekolog wrote:
jellyman wrote:With my mild colour sight defiency, I find it almost impossilbe to read the graphs. Or did last time I checked a couple versions ago.

to read graphs:

PRESS RIGHT AND LEFT mouse button on deisreid value (i allways check if i dealt most damage and gahterd most metal :) )

Its really stupid cause pplz dont know this RIGHT and LEFT click crap .

yes let me reiterate that in huge letters

RIGHT AND LEFT CLICK REPEATEDLY ON THE DESIRED VALUE in order to get the correct graph represented.

all the graphs are very interesting and I love them, as well as the end game stats. the only game that has better end game graphs would be the AOE series. they should just fix the whole "have to right and left click a million times to see them" bit.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: Individual unit kills and scores

Post by KDR_11k »

CaptainMaim wrote:I was wondering if someone... Or if it were simply possible to make it so a particular unit's kills could be displayed in place of or in addition to it's expirence score.
How would you define a kill though? Dealing the final bit of damage? Usually multiple units attack a single target and there's no clear way to say "this unit killed the enemy".
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

How about a different score system based on damage dealt instead of kills? You could display the actualy kills that player got as well as a score based on damage dished out and the average amount of kills.

Code: Select all

// Divided by 1000 for a reasonable score not in the millions
Score (float .2) = DamageDealt[n]/1000;

KillsByDamage (int) = Kills*DamageDealt[n]/TotalDamageDealt;

DamageDealt[n] keeps track of damage dealt by players
TotalDamageDealt = DamageDealt[n] + DamageDealt[n+1] etc...
I think that's a more accurate scoring system.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

there is already a damage dealt curve.
Uberleechen

Post by Uberleechen »

I'd sorta like a metal/energy killed per player list...
CaptainMaim

Post by CaptainMaim »

I know about right and left clicking... Still doesn't give many specific amounts.

I don't think clicks per minute is a good indicator of playing skill. My dad likes to select the same location half a dozen times nearly every time he moves, does that mean he's a better player? No, it doesn't. And just like one kill for a krogoth isn't the same as one kill for an AK, not all commands are of equal worth. It's the same thing to those that care as kills per game. The kills tell you who got the most action in the game, but not what kind of action as you've stated. Damage dealt plus kills is a much more accurate scoring. Seeing both on a unit would (kills and damage dealt) would be the best way I think to tell how effective a gun or unit is at it's job.

How about this, when you either hover or click and hold or whatever you want over a specific part of a graph it tells you the number(s) at that location. Does that sound like a fair request? That way you can track the whatevers through the course of the game more easily.

And spreading out units, isn't there a single one click command to do that? I mean you could by your logic, make yourself look better by doing it all manually, like manually setting up a wall of defenses or DT's. But that doesn't make you better when you can do it in one stroke, that just means you like doing things the hard way.

Also does anyone have any problems with mid game stats? So you can see, how many commands per minute your making or kills or energy or metal or whatever. Or if there's a problem, like say knowing active unit counts. That perhaps only some of the stats should be globally visible.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

If you want to show you are better than another player, beat them.

Measuring yourself against another player to compete with them is silly. Play the game to decide who is a better player, use the stats to improve yourself.

Return to “General Discussion”