Common play mistakes even vets make

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

manored

Post by manored »

How about we talking about the mistakes we did (or say other people doing) while playing spring?

* I think many vets still commit this mistake. I used to stack a lot of wind generators next to each other until I noticed that that way the destruction of a single of em can blast em all!

*I attacked one guy with medium tanks and he tried to counter with gunships (his mistake). The gunship shot causes so few damage to medium tanks that i was able to aniquilate his base before he finaly destroyed em.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Not building AA, then I bomb your labs. :P
tombom

Re: Bigger

Post by tombom »

manored wrote: *I attacked one guy with medium tanks and he tried to counter with gunships (his mistake). The gunship shot causes so few damage to medium tanks that i was able to aniquilate his base before he finaly destroyed em.
I think this teaches us an important lesson: NEVER BUILD BANSHEES.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Anything with a laser can kill banshees. This includes AKs.
Felix the Cat

Re: Bigger

Post by Felix the Cat »

manored wrote:How about we talking about the mistakes we did (or say other people doing) while playing spring?

* I think many vets still commit this mistake. I used to stack a lot of wind generators next to each other until I noticed that that way the destruction of a single of em can blast em all!
First of all this is an AA specific thread and I fully expect some individuals to bitch about it later on.

Hey, I still do that.

I figure that by the time I'm building large masses of wind gens, it's not a problem to build them adjacent in large masses. By the time it's enough wind gens that all of them being destroyed would be a serious setback, I generally have my base area relatively well guarded against raids, and any other event that destroys the windgens probably means I've lost anyways, so I figure that there's no issue.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

unless its a map like Xanthe or Speedmetal I just use solars

8)
DemO

Post by DemO »

You make solars on xanthe?

CRAZY MAN!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

There are SOOO many common mistakes and tricks like this in AA, I'll list a few.

- Going kbots on any flat forested map (kbots early staple unit, the rocket kbot, shoots really poorly through trees and is mostly useful for climbing that vehicles cannot climb)

- Forgetting to put up at least moderate AA in the early game (no brainer)

- Not teching up soon enough, there really is an ideal tech time in AA, you can extend your L1 push a while by building secondary facs and pushing, but if you don't tech at least reasonably close to the idea tech time you will be economy fucked buy your opponent, even if he has much less mex

- Not bringing builders with raid groups. If you push the enemy out of an area it does 2 things, opens up many mex spots for you, and leaves tasty metal corpses all over the place. Send cons with your destruction raids to build your economy up at the moment of your opponent's biggest loss

- Wasting units not scouting. Scout first, and scout often, if you waste units on a D line you can't take out you're just stupidly giving your opponent metal and putting him ahead. If there's enough D your force can't punch through then don't try, eventually your opponent will think you've given up and stop amassing d, when the reality is you've just been making your army unstoppable.

- having no counter to early weasels. Weasels are as deadly as a bomber swarm with no AA, get those LLT up fast enough.

- NOT PUTTING GUARDIANS/PUNISHERS IN HIGH TRAGECTORY. THEY LITERALLY DO 10 TIMES THE EFFECTIVE DAMAGE. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS.

- not paying attention to structure/unit costs as opposed to metal income. Hammers and thuds cost 300 metal, rockies cost 100 metal, if your metal income isn't chugging use the rockies, if your energy income is the bigger concern use hammers. Wind gens as opposed to solar is the same thing, solars cost 7 times the metal cost of a wind gen, don't build them when you don't have metal, even though they are a safer solution.

- Air First... This is a bit adaptable actually, but generally speaking air fist is about 50 times harder to pull off then ground first. You have to be 1 part lucky and one part a spring phenom of a player to pull off regular air first victories. As a rule of thumb, if you haven't ever been considered one of the best players in spring don't try air first, it's too hard to pull off without the most intimate knowledge about the game. Air's strongest L1 units are very easy to kill with AA and need alot of active babysitting to use properly in the battlefield. You have to keep your opponents ground small and contained to where they can get AA up and get thier attacking forces being attacked as soon as they step outside of the borders of thier AA, and you have to get your cons up grabbing all the scrap metal that would normally be too risky to send ground based cons. Air is expensive, unwieldy, and requires an active control of the map, don't use it.

- Teching too early. It just metal stalls you and you end up with your l2 fac slightly before your enemies, but no l1 army or ability to hold ground against L1. You can't support your L2 fac when it goes up because of all the mex you lost because you couldn't afford HLT and guardians on your front lines. Be patient and make sure you have the metal income to support L2 when you start building your plant. A good time is just after an enemy assault so you know that they will be down for a short while giving you time to build, and there is lots of corpses for you to suck up and keep the process as painless as possible.

- Failing to check your F2 map with your commander at some point early in the game, and building vehicles that can't get out of your base.

- not using [ and ] keys to rotate your structures towards your base exit.

- mine vehicles, not much more to say, they aren't worth they the effort they take to keep running.

- forgetting to turn off plasma cannon attack orders after the manually targeted thing is dead. Just select them and hit the stop button, it couldn't be easier.

- showing your enemy where your comm is and then doing nothing about it. Comms are vulnerable, never give up their position and leave them there unguarded, either get lots of regular units or AA in to guard them, or get them out of there. Cloak is useful for this in the late game when commslayers can get in faster.

- Forgetting limited dgun/comm ends. I'm guilty of this one all the time myself, and it sucks.
PauloMorfeo

Re: Common play mistakes even vets make

Post by PauloMorfeo »

manored wrote:...
First, there was special mouse buttons for it. I was using it.

Then, some keys for it. I was using it.

Then, last version, those keys started 1/20 times working, 19/20 times not working. I ain't using it anymore cause i no longer can set spacing. Which sucks badly.
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

My worst and most consisten mistake is complacency. Generally this is when I've 'won' but not wiped out the enemy yet. Sometimes when I get into any sort of winning or dominant position I just can't be arsed any more.
At best this leads to an extended late game where unimaginativly throw in wave after wave of units, while at worst I've thrown entire games away.

Though after innumerable irritating mistakes I always check whether a game is comm ends/limited D-gun via the I key (who ever put that in is a genius). There is nothing worse than when your strategic comm-bomb suddenly cause your entire base to self-d because you forgot it was comm-ends.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Dgun limit is for the loss. Com ends is for the win, Com continues = Com bomb in your base!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

LordMatt wrote:Dgun limit is for the loss. Com ends is for the win, Com continues = Com bomb in your base!
Nah, comm bombs in comm continues are a pretty frigging desperate move. They only really do fatal damage if you've been really lazy with air D or you put your comm on your front line and are really lazy with protecting him and concealing his position, both of which will get you slayed by good players in a comm ends game anyways.

Comm bombing another player to clear frontal defenses just means that they now have a comm with infinite defensive dgun capability, since they don't have to be the slightest bit concerned about bomb hunters.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

LordMatt wrote:Dgun limit is for the loss. Com ends is for the win, Com continues = Com bomb in your base!
Nope, comm continues = some nub comm bombs your "front line" of 3 LLTs because he didn't scout and didn't realize you had 6 more out of his sight range, takes out 2 LLTs and a HLT of his (which really WAS his front line), and leaves you the corpse to reclaim, all while complaining that you "comm rushed" him (8 minutes in, of course). :twisted:
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

No, Com con's ends with some smuck com bombing your frontline while your com is building something. You loose your com AND your frontline while he can just rush in with whatever he has to take out your ungaurded base.

Com ends on the other hand promote all for everything strats to kill com, where com killing is key. but you can always just GIVE the stuff to a ally, so yea.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Kixxe wrote:No, Com con's ends with some smuck com bombing your frontline while your com is building something. You loose your com AND your frontline while he can just rush in with whatever he has to take out your ungaurded base.
Only if you're a noob too. I mean, I assume that that "frontline" isn't everything you had to defend yourself with... where's your mobile army? Backup defenses? Do you mean to say that you had only ONE frontline, and you were stupid enough to leave your comm undefended in the middle of it, in plain view to your enterprising - and obviously superior, since he has both a frontline that you can't break through AND mobile forces with which to rush through your soon-to-be-indisposed defenses - opponent? I thought you were a good player, Kixxe!
Hunter0000

Post by Hunter0000 »

Best example of why to check if comends is on...

I was playing greenfields (zomg) a while back, and I had put com ends on because the stupid blow up your com and crush the other people with a swarm of gollies was getting annoying. 10 or 15 minutes into the game, our two enemies both self-d'd their coms in one spotso they could do it safly - whoops all of the sudden they instantly lost =)

Followed by a storm of 'wtflolz' of course
manored

Post by manored »

Those two happened on the same game:

Mistake from the AI that comes with the game: Not building a antinuke after having conditions, what made her get blasted :wink: .

My mistake: thinking that you can stack nuclear missiling orders with a nuclear missiles launcher, what caused some spots to not be nuked and one other to be nuked before time, what made some of my tanks be lauched at heights only ships could reach before :wink: .
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

A common mistake for me is not build AA untill after the swarm has left.

Oh and another mistake is to give up. If Galaxy Quest has taught us anything, it's "Never give up! Never surrendur!" You never know when who's going to win what, or who's going to be hit by a suprise something or other. So even if the odds look grim, put on a good show and fight for every inch of your land. Take not one step backwards!
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Hunter0000 wrote:Best example of why to check if comends is on...
Hit i...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Not giving up is how I may have the single highest amount of time played while losing.

Return to “General Discussion”