"Is tunneling possible?"

"Is tunneling possible?"

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

b1ind

Post by b1ind »

I'm pretty sure that it is currently impossible given that Spring can only have one height value per corrdinate. This is the same reason that absolutely vertical terrain is impossible, although terrain can be made to closely resemble vertical. Tunneling would substantially complicate the inherent simplicity of the heightmap design and would also make map-making more difficult.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but yes, it 'could' be possible, given a very substantial overhaul of the engine. And yes, I do agree that it would add new levels of gameplay to the rts genre, but I think that it will have to wait for a while.

What is very possible and a neat feature of the terrain deformation is the creation of canals and trenches for additional means of unit mobility.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Not to burst your bubble but I think he posted it as a joke. :wink:
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

I think we all tried to level a mountain the first time we dgunned in spring :)
ephillips

Post by ephillips »

Very funny - I like the filename
b1ind

Post by b1ind »

Hehe, I only realized his intentions after posting, so I added the last 'paragraph'. On the same line, where is fun of burying opponents a la Scorched Earth? I think we need a couple new weapons, namely the riot bombs and sandhogs! Also, with the new terrain, rollers and napalm would add interesting twists. Perhaps the addition of a death's head fuel a new type of game: Totally Submerged Annihilation.

And a serious question: from your experiments, have you been able to determine what would happen to land unit that became submerged beyond its maxdepth?

PS: I hope my 'serious' answer to a non-serious question will serve as an answer to newer board members' questions regarding tunnels.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Hmm... a thought:

You could use the commander to make trenches, and then put your units at high trajectory. They would be hard to hit in their trenches, but they could rain fire on the enemy.

Return to “General Discussion”