We need a newb only room in the client

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

On several mods, (EE, XTA) there's no way a newb (1 or 2 bars) can play without getting suashed like a bug, since almost everyone who plays these mods is an oldtimer.

We should have a newb only room so newbs can learn in a place where they have a chance to win. I'm not suggesting banning newbs from main, just putting them in #newb and showing only the games in #newb by default, while allowing them to move to #main whenever they feel ready.

This would also help newbs try out a wider variety of mods.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

What I used to do is put "Experienced [ModName] Only" or "Skilled Only" in the title. It actually helps quite a bitm strange though it may seem. You get two types of people when you do that: Actual experts/skilled folk, and newbies who earnestly and properly want to improve, which is even better. I loved helping out an enthuisaistic new fella, its really good at giving you the warm fuzzy feeling inside

:-)

IMHO, the community isnt large enough yet for what you're proposing; further stratification can wait until we hit the 1000 person mark.
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

Dragon45 wrote: IMHO, the community isnt large enough yet for what you're proposing; further stratification can wait until we hit the 1000 person mark.
You might be right about not being large enough... But I think it would be worth a try anyway. Worst case the room just won't get used much, best case it brings more players in by making learning a less traumatic process.

Of course, I'm saying this as someone who wouldn't have to do the actual coding.
Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

Dragon45 wrote: IMHO, the community isnt large enough yet for what you're proposing.
More like isn't mature enough *coughs and points to Caydrs "theft" thread*. Seriously, I see so many noobs get told to piss off and leave. And they do. Wow, Great job, thats 1 person who'll never come play spring again.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

#main is the newb room IMO

otherwise we need to learn noobs to join the newb-room.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Why not have an Expert room instead.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Capital idea!
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

LordMatt wrote:Why not have an Expert room instead.
My thinking is that newbs need protection from experts more than experts from newbs. Though I concede this is debateable. Why not have both?
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

First of all is there enough new players to make battles 24/7 on lobby server ? i.e different timezones

Personnaly i am against idea of forcefully splitting playerbase over ammount of hours played. what happens to player if they cant find enough peep to play when they join. U sure there going to be enough new players to cover timezones & down the road aswell ?

Aslong as peep can see each others rank when joining a game = problem solved. U will learn after 1-2 games, that playing against vets is a different ball game. And if u are up to the challenge.

Should not be enforce == creating more problems
mongus

Post by mongus »

Do it as in Gunbound,

the special servers for noobs, cant be accessed by old timers.

That keeps the yellow dragons safe and helps them learn among themselves.

I would love to help those little stupid basterds at our noob server..

(oh, and ban speedmetal on noob that servers).
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

even better, ban speedmetal altogether...except maybe in some sort of experimental room or something. It's good for quickly testing whether something works.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

My thinking is that newbs need protection from experts more than experts from newbs. Though I concede this is debateable. Why not have both?
I agree, but I think it would be easier to seperate experts from noobs, than noobs from experts, as noobs by definition are just going to go the easiest route to get a game, which is #main at the moment. I would certainly prefer to play in a room where I knew both allies and opponents could hold their own, rather than the current crapshot (in which I tend play with people I know these days).
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

hollowsoul wrote:First of all is there enough new players to make battles 24/7 on lobby server ? i.e different timezones

Personnaly i am against idea of forcefully splitting playerbase over ammount of hours played. what happens to player if they cant find enough peep to play when they join. U sure there going to be enough new players to cover timezones & down the road aswell ?
I'm not suggesting that newbs be forced into the newb room... Just that they have the option of going there, while experts do not. I think a lot of newbs will happily stay there as long as they can, before moving to #main where they'll probably get squashed.

At times when there aren't enough newbs on, they'll probably go to #main, and when there are enough newbs on, they'd probably stay in #newb
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

How about, experts can join, but only spectate. That way they can give tips.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

i think #league would be a suitable room for experts.. We're holding tourneys there. And in the future you need that room for the ladder.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

i think #league would be a suitable room for experts.. We're holding tourneys there. And in the future you need that room for the ladder.
I agree, however aren't the battles displayed no matter what room you are? I think the idea is to segragate noob battles from expert battles in some way.
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

Techincal u can segerate the battles by founder name & only display battles with founder in same channel(s) as u.

But aside from that i am still against splitting up player based on how many hours they played online...

And if i coded above in UnityLobby, it would be off by default. And left up to user to turn on etc...
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Maybe there should be a room (not sure what to call it) whcih everyone starts in and they dont get out till they have logged more than 5 games on a map other than speedymetal.

aGorm
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

That's possibly a good idea, maybe....

Still I did see that someone has made a 'how to play AA on greenfields' video. Untill we have propper tutorials and missions videos like that for the various mods on various different types of map could be a really good idea. A sort of non-interactive tutorial as it were.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

I'll make a nice flowchart for noobs to look at

Code: Select all

Map------>Comet------Players----1v1--->Spam Gators---->Win
 /\      |else                                |
 /\-----                                      |else
 /\-------------------------------------

Questions?

Return to “General Discussion”