Ban AA - Page 3

Ban AA

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

+1 for the mod bundle.

Short of haveing single player campaigns it's probably the best way to get people to play the mods. And of course you don't stop hosting the mods individually, you just make it slightly more obtuse to get to them.
Disco Justice

Post by Disco Justice »

I resent the idea that my recreation time should be dictated upon by people who think I should play a different way. I play TA to relax, and banning AA will simply leave me finding other things to do. Partly out of spite, to be honest.

Why? I would be willing to try other mods at some point, but I will not have my free time dictated upon by people who think I should play their way.

I know it's not "my" game, but it is my time. If a game is going to be put out for public consumption, and then you don't like the way the public use it, then gently encourage them in other directions. Show them benefits for changing, rather than punishment for enjoying themselves.

I can't think of a worse solution than disabling maps or mods that are the most popular. What exactly are people supposed to make of that? Are they going to be concerned that any mod that they and their friends like is in danger of the occasional axe? Quite possibly. How will they percieve the removal of a mod that the vast majority of the playerbase enjoys playing each day? Believe me, they aren't simply going to cheerfully try other mods. They're going to think that the community is run by idiots who will resort to hamfisted, clumsy tactics to lurch the community in a different, unwanted direction, rather than actively promoting other choices.

In general, when I try mods for games, there's the hassle of installing them, learning them, and then finding out that I don't like them. I gave this up a long time ago, and it's very very rare that I will install a mod. This is my decision to make, not anyone else's.

Calls for banning of maps and mods are exactly the wrong way to manage a community. If you have a problem with the community, you need to take positive steps to remedy it, not negative ones. If you want people to use other maps and mods, then showcase them.

Argh makes an excellent point on this. If you want a community to notice things, put them up there. It's not enough to have just a message board and everything else buried in a Wiki. You really think people who want to play a game are going to settle down for some reading?

Have a community portal that highlights a different mod every week. Have actual articles about what each mod brings to the table and why it's worth playing.

Encourage people.

But please, for heavens sake, don't presume upon them.
Peace

Post by Peace »

Good post, I agree wholeheartedly
with it.
submarine
AI Developer

Post by submarine »

sorry but i really dont agree with caydr's idea; i agree that aa dominates atm but maybe it might be related to the quality of the mod :)

being an ai dev i nearly tried out all mods which are available - but i always returned to aa very fast. why? simply because imho it's the best mod. compared to other mods i like the balance very much and its not as overloaded with graphical effects as ee
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Overloaded with graphical effects?

If by that you mean it looks GOOD, then yes. It looks good. Oh noes!

Also calling any mod the best mod is a bit strange. Different strokes for different folks. EE, AA, FF, Nanoblobs and all the rest are each different. Some people can't stand AA, and their fore play EE or FF or Nanoblobs or all the rest.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

Agreein' with Disco Justice

I was gonna post my thoughts on the matter but I dont wanna risk getting the EE Superfriends up my grille
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Zoombie wrote:Overloaded with graphical effects?

If by that you mean it looks GOOD, then yes. It looks good. Oh noes!

Also calling any mod the best mod is a bit strange. Different strokes for different folks. EE, AA, FF, Nanoblobs and all the rest are each different. Some people can't stand AA, and their fore play EE or FF or Nanoblobs or all the rest.
Or BOTA!!! *shakes fists*
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Dude I'm sorry.

Maybe I should have just said: All them mods.

But then again I've never heard of BOTA...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Ishach wrote:Agreein' with Disco Justice

I was gonna post my thoughts on the matter but I dont wanna risk getting the EE Superfriends up my grille
You mean the many people that contribute to the mod in any way possible.

---

Overloaded is graphics effects??? Pardon me that EE does not look as weak as AA when it comes to explosions (hopefully that will change soon). Exactly what do you think supcom will be?

Pardon EE for looking good.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

IM FING TIRED OF PEOPLE INSULTING MY MOD.. ffs if you dont like it dont play it I DONT CARE, BUT KEEP YOUR STUPID THOUGHTS TO YOURSELF FFS.. GEEZE.. I didnt start this thread.. caydr did.. go attack him not me WHY AM I BEING ATTACKED ALL THE TIME...

for reference to my irritation I cite this:
being an ai dev i nearly tried out all mods which are available - but i always returned to aa very fast. why? simply because imho it's the best mod. compared to other mods i like the balance very much and its not as overloaded with graphical effects as ee
WHY.. seriously why.. and you wonder why this happens:
We only jump down everyones throat all the time because we constantly have to defend/deal with insult to EE.. which I have not gone around saying was better or more super than any other mod.. but apparently everyone has this need to badmouth it.. and this thread just provides another excuse.. I swear my mod is hated more than smoth..
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

uh if i remember correctly didn't Caydr do a serious overhaul of the graphical effects of AA? cause if so then it might experience the "overload" u speak of.

Also i think that when a mod maker brings up a point like this, people should listen.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

Fanger wrote:IM FING TIRED OF PEOPLE INSULTING MY MOD.. ffs if you dont like it dont play it I DONT CARE, BUT KEEP YOUR STUPID THOUGHTS TO YOURSELF FFS.. GEEZE.. I didnt start this thread.. caydr did.. go attack him not me WHY AM I BEING ATTACKED ALL THE TIME...

for reference to my irritation I cite this:
WHY.. seriously why.. and you wonder why this happens:
We only jump down everyones throat all the time because we constantly have to defend/deal with insult to EE.. which I have not gone around saying was better or more super than any other mod.. but apparently everyone has this need to badmouth it.. and this thread just provides another excuse.. I swear my mod is hated more than smoth..
Fanger, your mod is awesome. Back when i played AA i never really got into it. I would play spring a few times a month.

Now i play EE, and i cant put it down. I added 15 hours to my "rank" in this last weekend alone. Its super fun and i think that even though the fanbase is small, its one of the best mods out there and i thank you for your dedication.

Keep truckin, you rock
Monolith

Post by Monolith »

A few players and I have been playing a few rounds of AA on Tiny-Me. Having fun, we thought 'Hey, let's play SWTA on this', which we haven't played in a few Spring revs. CRVs explode immediately on game start. Try again, same thing. Then we are back to AA which worked the first time. Our brief attempt at getting a different mod name in the lobby failed quite quickly.

It's self-fulfilling. We used to be OTA and XTA mod players. After seeing how popular AA was, we played that. New players are drawn to it because it is popular, making it more popular. As such, players write about it, critique it, and it gets active discussion in message board threads that are something like 500 pages long.

If everybody was playing EE or FF, Spring Lemmings such as myself would click on 'Mods' and download 'em so we could see why they were so great.

Maybe this thread will be popular enough to add a few non-AA games.
bamb

Post by bamb »

I haven't played that many mods, but I think EE is good. It's got a consistent design and look, and if you play it for a while, and go back to AA, all the AA units look kinda funny and wonky. :)

Maybe the "fanciness overload" in EE was regarding some explosions or hits, if you shoot at a factory there's lots of sparks flying (or at least was a couple of versions ago). But I don't see it as excess.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

BE CIVIL

That said, take the mod critique to the mod threads themselves. And don't hold back.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Mayeb we can make a mod without any graphical effects, we can call it void, and we can do all sorts of units such as 'empty space' and 'blackhole' and 'nowhere', and everything will look like a solid black screen....
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Actually, that might be a fun idea.
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

submarine wrote:sorry but i really dont agree with caydr's idea; i agree that aa dominates atm but maybe it might be related to the quality of the mod :)

You say that like its a bad thing...

SupCom > EE In graphics
SUPCOM AWTOSUX??????
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

shit i better go dig out my 133 MHz PC with that uber integrated graphics of love and no less than 256 MB or RAM
otherwise supcom will be UNPLAYABLE!!!
/me runs to attic

:D
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Min3mat wrote:shit i better go dig out my 133 MHz PC with that uber integrated graphics of love and no less than 256 MB or RAM
otherwise supcom will be UNPLAYABLE!!!
/me runs to attic

:D
lol good call :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”