.73 : two observations

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Should this be in development? I've been posting there a lot lately about little observations and technical questions, but maybe I should reserve it for really important stuff. Please move if you think it's appropriate.

First, I think shadow rendering for grass is off now. That's great. Performance seems to be better, but it might be just me going crazy since I have this new video card and everything seems superfast.

Next, there's this strange performance thing I found. Using HOME and END keys, I can adjust the view radius on the map, how far out it should render at maximum quality and gradually be less and less detailed.

I think its default setting is 100 or so.

Anyway, when I increase this value to eliminate "popping" of distant mountains as I zoom on them (it's very slight as it is, but if I've got the FPS to spare, why not), I find that my FPS drops very suddenly at a certain point and I'm wondering if there's some kind of bug. Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore since we're using this SM3 renderer instead in the near future, but if any code is carried over, it might be worth looking at... I'm a dunce, sue me. I don't understand the technical stuff, I just tells it like I sees it....

So here's my findings. On left side is view radius, on right side is my FPS. My FPS is capped at 75 because I love VSync.

100 - 75
118 - 75
128 - 58
132 - 45
138 - 40
250 - 38

As you can see, Between 118 and 128 there is a loss of performance of almost 20 FPS. Between 118 and 138, there is a loss of 35. Yet between 118 and 250, the loss is hardly any higher, at only 37.

If it was some issue of exponential division making the calculations exponentially more difficult and driving performance down sharply beyond a certain point, I could of course understand that. But instead there's just this small range in which there's a huge difference, and everywhere else it's mostly constant, or at least predictable. Any ideas?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Caydr: shadow rendering on smoke and other particles appears to be off now, too, which helps performance quite a bit.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

It's very well possible that somewhere between 138 and 250 (closer to 138) is a value where the entire map is already rendered in highest detail. Hence increasing the value further wouldn't cause a further increase in detail & decrease in FPS.

And the default (in spring, don't know about settings.exe), is 40.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Will the shadows now be toggleable in settings.exe? I run fine with everything turned to max and 16X AF + 4X AA w/ TransAA
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

They are and have been for quite a long time.
Soulless1

Post by Soulless1 »

I think he means the shadows for grass etc...
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

REVENGE wrote:Will the shadows now be toggleable in settings.exe? I run fine with everything turned to max and 16X AF + 4X AA w/ TransAA
How do you activate all that? All I've got is antialiasing and vsync.
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

I'm guessing he just uses his driver menu :-
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Yeah caydr, all of these settings can be applied using the settings panels for ATI and NVIDIA drivers. Just set it up to manually choose your own settings. Transparency anti-aliasing is a NVIDIA only feature though I think.

And yeah, I mean those grass and particle shadows.

Return to “General Discussion”