Open RTS

Open RTS

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

K-man

Open RTS

Post by K-man »

While we are all waiting for Spring to be released, here is an other very intressting project, for those of you who are more into advanced AI rather than shining eye-candy. Open RTS is a long-term academic project with main intension of creating a perfect AI - and they are looking for skilled people to contribute! And think they need some TA-infuences. ;)
Last edited by K-man on 25 Apr 2005, 15:24, edited 2 times in total.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Euwww, starcrap.
SJ

Post by SJ »

I know we have had some disagreements over the implementation/quality of the movement code Kman but dont think its a bit unnecessary to post this on the front page as opposed to say general discussion ? (where im moving it now)
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

aww. Looks like I was one of the only people to see it on the front page. It's nice to have news!
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Dont worry i saw it to... It does look a little basic visuly dosen't it? However I'm sure if it helps those looking at AI development its a good thing to take a peep at.

aGorm
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

i saw it on the front page. and again its good to have news posts, especially ones with vids and screens and more explanation on what is happening behind the scenes...
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

Hmmm... I don't like much the tone of this post. I hope Spring is not gonna be all about "shining eye candy" after all? Because otherwise I can play Warcraft III or Dawn of War for that. Spring engine will make a big difference in the RTS world if its units behave more intelligently, and if you get the feeling of being a general commanding an army, instead of micromanaging a group of maximum 12 units (Warcraft), or trying to steer a stupid horde of kbots who bump into each other and get stuck (TA).
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

Well we all know SC sux, that's why we play TA. If not only for the 12 unit controlling idea and the 640x480 crap interface which totally blocks about 50% of the entire screen.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Yes dawn of war is cool.... what stracraft? huh? or right... Starcraft is fun, and TA is great, like in the way Babylon 5 is great and Star Trek is Fun!
genblood

Post by genblood »

I'm looking forward to the release of Spring ... SC is a " OK " game
WC3 is a good game LOTs of EYE candy ... but eye candy is only a
small part of a game. You need more ... good path finding for the AI,
also you good AI if you play against the computer. Also, a good fan
base to make maps, custom units and mods too. TA has that fan base
and beyond 8) IMO ...

If you like TA you might have heard about Enemy Nations. The
game came out around the time C&C came out. Enemy Nation was
made by Windward Studios. You can download the game for free now.
The only problem is, it was written for the Win9x OS. So, WinXP systems
will have issues running it.

Maybe Spring can be used to give Enemy Nations a face lift .. :lol:
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

I did download Enemy Nations a while ago, but I was not very impressed: managing the economy was somewhat fun, but combat wasn't very convicing compared to TA. Or is there something I missed?
genblood

Post by genblood »

Comparing TA and EN is like, comparing apples and oranges ...
EN needs more micro management over resources compared to
TA. EN type of game is slower due to the research and resources
collecting over TA. What I'm saying is TA is good, lots of units,
fast attacks, flying and stuff like that. EN is alittle older an could
use a patch or two. EN, in its time was a good game. Now, IMO
its still a good game to play. Maybe one day the source code might
get released and a updated version might get released. Also, maybe
the spring engine can used with this game ...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

pfft. People send me these thigns by email, I have little time and something like this is of value.

I have every intention fo doing as much as I can in terms fo AI for spring but its getting harder and harder to get online, if I carry on like this I might end up with no internet at all and what are we gonna do then?! Send anythign todo with AI to my email address as shown in my profile. Or give it to liger or napalm.

Return to “General Discussion”