Nutty, workable unit idea that might help eliminate porcing - Page 3

Nutty, workable unit idea that might help eliminate porcing

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Licho
Zero-K Developer

Re: Nutty, workable unit idea that might help eliminate porc

Post by Licho »

Dragon45 wrote:So its easier to porc because units cant shoot through each other - that doesnt mean porcing is best solution; that just means its easier. Accepted.
I certainly dont agree with this assumption, this is nonsense imo..
Besides there are many units that can shout "through" each other using high arc ... stuff like stumpy, hammer, bulldogs, any aircrafts...
Last edited by Licho on 07 Jan 2007, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

THIS THREAD IS 6 MONTHS OLD, PAY ATTENTION TO TIMESTAMPS!

That being said someone check out draco's fix and see if it actually works...
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

yeah but what happens when everyone packs it full of commanders? or snipers + flak? or crawling bombs?

WAIT! CAN IT BE AIRLIFTED :-) ?
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

can i be in this thread too?
rcdraco

well

Post by rcdraco »

Blox is fixed and I've added some new content, with that being said it is nowhere near complete, the builders still have trouble being transported, and the balance is bad, but it does work. Here is the newest link:

http://www.unknown-files.net/index.php? ... &dlid=2150
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Screenshots
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

rcdraco

here it is

Post by rcdraco »

Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

MAKE A NEW THREAD AND LET THIS DIE IN PEACE FFS
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

No, keep the thread alive. A unit with shelves that houses a huge amount of units, can repair, ressurect, capture, fly, go underwater and automatically give you victory is even better than the tipical «i got this great idea, let's make a unit even bigger than the ones we now have».
smoth

Post by smoth »

or people could acknowledge that EE and Gundam both already solved this.
manored

Post by manored »

PauloMorfeo wrote:No, keep the thread alive. A unit with shelves that houses a huge amount of units, can repair, ressurect, capture, fly, go underwater and automatically give you victory is even better than the tipical «i got this great idea, let's make a unit even bigger than the ones we now have».
But gigantic units are fun :-).
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

The easiest way to stop porcing is to make a mod where defenses appear useful on paper but when they actually get used they get pwnt by medium sized army. Eventually, after the porcer has been defeated several times in a row. (even after a 30 min no-rush limit) he may finally realize that the simcity approach isn't winning it for him.

Or he may just say the mod sucks and go back to AA.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Quanto042 wrote:Or he may just say the mod sucks and go back to AA.
qft
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

this thread sucks
*back to AA*
crap if only i COULD >.>
10053r

Post by 10053r »

Honestly, I'm not sure I understand why porcing is hated so?

You need to realize that there is great enjoyment to be gained from building a great base and watching as unit after unit bounces off your lines. Since this game is after all about fun, I'm not sure where it got decided that people who enjoy playing defensively should not be allowed to play that way. In my view, we should support as many styles of play as possible. It is the mark of a great game when there are as many fundamentally different ways to win as possible.

Sometimes the best defense should be a good defense. If you don't want to play with defense being a valid strategy, make a mod without defensive units.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

10053r wrote:You need to realize that there is great enjoyment to be gained from building a great base and watching as unit after unit bounces off your lines.
Until you've done it for awhile, and it just gets boring.
10053r

Post by 10053r »

For you. Some people like playing games like civilization and simcity to build things, while others like playing first person shooters to blow them up. I like RTS because it combines both. Deemphasizing defense means that you are deemphasizing an entire portion of what makes an RTS an RTS.

Defense should be balanced with offense. To do that requires making defense more powerful than offense. This is a bit non-intuitive, so I will explain.

There are several ways to attack (for example, planes, nukes, ground, artillery, etc.). Each of those has a counter-strategy (planes have anti-air, nukes have anti-missle, ground has towers, and artillery has planes, ground, and shields). A counter-strategy should always be cheaper than the strategy. This means that if Alice knows how Bob is going to attack her, then she can use a smaller amount of resources and attention to defeat the attack than Bob spent on it. Then, Alice has some left over for an attack of her own.

Balancing HOW much better defense is than offense is tricky. I like a 2:1 ratio, because since there are about 5 basic ways to attack, a 2:1 ratio means that it is impossible to build an impenetrable defense for all possible attacks with the same amount of resources as your opponent. It also means that if I know you are going to attack me one way, I can defeat the attack before it arrives and still have stuff left over to kill you with.

However, you also need to take into account the fact that defenses are usually stationary, while offense is usually mobile. Therefore, it takes maybe 3 missile towers to cover an early base, but only one bomber to take it out. So missile towers should get an additional 3:1 resource bonus over the offensive units. It should therefore take around 6 bombers to evenly match a missile tower. This bonus should of course be balanced against the range of the defensive unit. For a stationary unit with a large enough range, I could see the bonus going the other way instead.

For those of you who actually sat through this much verbiage, I'm sure that some of you are saying that this will just lead to a creeping tower strategy. To this I would reply that creeping towers will be impossible if the opponent is actually dynamic enough to switch offensive strategies. That is to say, if you try creeping laser towers on me, I'll just switch to aircraft or artillery or nukes. If you try creeping laser towers, nuke defense, shields, and anti-air, I'll overwhelm you with sheer numbers.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

porcing as a main strategy is incredibly boring, but it has its uses. Lets say you're playing a team game, and for whatever reason, the game hasn't gone so well for you personally, and you are losing against whoever you are up against on the other team. A good player can make it VERY difficult to finish him off, even if he made some early mistakes, allowing the rest of his team a chance to win the game. This only means you avoid losing the game, if you don't think you can win it.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I remember a game where, abandoned by my allies, I hard porced against ginkeolog and his team. Forty minutes of chewing up metal, hurrah!

Return to “General Discussion”