Custom signs

Custom signs

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Charlemagne

Custom signs

Post by Charlemagne »

Does this mean we will be able to build our own custom signs in game, something like the spray feature available in some FPSs? That would be awesome. =)
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

I don't think so...

However, about the original TA, the most wonderfull feature i've seen, was a statue of a comander i've seen in one map. Really cool.

This board with "Yankspankers" seems to be the same kind of thing.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Already in ordinary TA you can create your own stuff to build or put on a map. Spring is no different.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Huzzah! Sweet, I'ma build a fully-automatic senior citizen cannon!

-Shade
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I dont see why flying coloured beacons cant be controleld by an AI to produce text or images with animation in spring in the sky with a custom AI dll. Though the enemy could just shoot it down. Might be interesting
Storm

Post by Storm »

You can do that in OTA already, just like I said. Thanks.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

No one was argueing against your previos point. Thanks.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Repeating the very same point is pretty annoying. Sorry that you didn't understand. :roll:
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

I was more like referring to the ability to import a simple picture into the program and then when you build a sign, the custom picture shows up on it. somewhat like the spray feature in for example halflife 2 deathmatch, so you don't have to mess with .ufos
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Strm I wasnt saying that about TA I was saying that about spring. And aGorm udnerstands perfectly.
Storm

Post by Storm »

I just said that since it's possible in OTA, it is possible in Spring also. And no, aGorm misunderstood.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Custom signs

Post by zwzsg »

On this picture what you see is a max range sonar. When making the TA demo recorder and replayer, the Swedish Yankspanker thought it would be better if underwater units were shown as well. So they implememented the .sonar command that allow you to see underwater in a replay. However, permanent LOS isn't enough to see underwater, the only way they found to allow viewing underwater was to give the player a unit with a map-wide ranged sonar. That unit was shaped into a revovling Swedish Yankspanker sign. It is not at all some sort of player graffiti.

However, in the same TA demo recorder and replayer and interface upgrade, the Swedish Yankspanker implemented in the whiteboard feature, that allow player to do hand free drawing all over the map and to create named or not named marker. Here is a screenshot of the whiteboard feature used.

I expect the whiteboard feature to be implemented in Spring as well, although I don't know how it could be made in a full 3D game. After reading more this forum it seem it has done:
Sean Mirrsen wrote:There's a feature alloing to draw lines on the map in a funny blue color.
I don't know what Storm is talking about when saying "Already in ordinary TA you can create your own stuff to build or put on a map. Spring is no different. Is he talking about 3rd party features (trees, etc..)? Third party tilesets? Third party units? Whiteboard? Something else? This is unclear.

It would be nice if the Arm and Core logo could be replaced by your own logo, which would be a simple grayscale bmp dumped in Spring and then read and used by the engine for all your units, just like in Black & White. Even if personnaly I'd prefer having the Arm and Core logo replaced by rank insignias.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

It would be nice if the Arm and Core logo could be replaced by your own logo, which would be a simple grayscale bmp dumped in Spring and then read and used by the engine for all your units, just like in Black & White. .
I like, I like...
Shade

Post by Shade »

Charlemagne wrote:
It would be nice if the Arm and Core logo could be replaced by your own logo, which would be a simple grayscale bmp dumped in Spring and then read and used by the engine for all your units, just like in Black & White. .
I like, I like...
What a kick ass idea.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Yes, it would be nice wouldn't it. Maybe have it so that you logo is next to ur chat and stuff to, so people can tell at a glance whos who... (for instance in a clan its sometimes hard to tell at a glance which players which as the all start (CLN) or somthing... images are much easyer to remember)

aGorm
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

As for the insignia idea, I started a post about that, I even suggested that oen of thoe faces be replaced by a user model fo possibly a flag or banner or even a TV if the user wished. Maybe even clothes for k-bots =D

Return to “General Discussion”