Spring Strategies, each and everyone! - Page 4

Spring Strategies, each and everyone!

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Scratch

Re:

Post by Scratch »

My favorate stratagy? George S Patton said it best: Fixed fortifications are a testement to the stupidity of man.

To translate: Never EVER EVER get bogged down in trench warfare. Keep your front line moving, even if it is backwards, because that way, you're always on a war of attrition....
If a guy followed George Patton's doctrine with full knowledge of the ability of units in Spring, you'd have one deadly opponent.

Also, its funny how people here with the l@@t strats I don't recall meeting ingame, at least they weren't anyone noteworthy.

All the good tactics are hidden away because they actually win.
Scratch

Re: Spring Strategies, each and everyone!

Post by Scratch »

On second thought you have to have some kind of style. A well developed style can beat even the best of players. Though my only real tip for noobs is to pay attention to what your allies are saying instead of ignoring them, that does seem to be the biggest ingame problem.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Most spring mods don't have artillery that's even nearly as dangerous as the real kind. That's the reason fortifications suck, your enemy knows where you are but you don't know where the enemy is. With the short-ranged, low-damage arty you see in most RTSes it's no big deal to look for it after it starts shooting, in real battles you are screwed by the time the shots hit and by the time you get to the source of the shots the arty is long gone. In RTSes static defenses are often more cost effective than regular units in combat and artillery is fairly easy to counter.
manored

Post by manored »

I wouldnt say fortifications are stupid, they are a weapon against stupidity... lets say that the stupid enemy decides to attack you head-on (or maybe the circunstaces force him to do so)... nice to have a fortress, isnt it? :)

In RTS I think the main function of fortifications is to keep the enemy at bay for a minimal cost so you can concentrate more resources on attacking and expansion.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

So you're spending big money on the chance that your enemy is stupid? Worked really well for France...
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

It is all about beeing Stress-resistent - and keep on going faster into a kind of juggling competition - just that there are no balls to throw in Circles, instead Units. Strategys are for the Moment of Exaustion, when both Sides are locked in some kind of stalemate, you notice repeating patterns, this attack, this drop, and countered again.. you can´t use special Strategys until the Situation is this Stable.

So good real Strategys are easy to use (no long complicated preparations), come as a surprise, and are never getting part of the standard prossedures. So after you tipped the Stalematebalance to your favour, there is this phase where the enemys stress rises (loads more to do, with little more remainging) - and i think this is even more important, never letting the Pressure go..

My favourite, would be i think, Radarjamer and Conbot, building further Jamers and AntiAir, Mortys(or Levelers) - strict order to stay to the Jamer, and letting always two groups patroul Parallel the Outward Metallspots of the Enemy..
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Nonsense, a strategy is how you approach the battle. E.g. a lot of resources put into early attacks, deciding which territory to claim or fight for, which tech tree to use, which subset (if applicable) of the units you want to field the most (go for loads of flashes or a good number of missile trucks?), ...

Blitzkrieg was a strategy and that was definitely employed before a stalemate occured.
manored

Post by manored »

KDR_11k wrote:So you're spending big money on the chance that your enemy is stupid? Worked really well for France...
Well diferently from games you cant spend resources to "produce" more soldiers on real life, you have to wait for then to be born and grow up, and there is a limit of how much equipment each can carry or handle and how good training can make then, so you will have spare time to build forts.

Strategy is how you plan to win the war from the beggining to the end, not what you improvisate on the middle of it, thats more like tactic.
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

Defense is so a clever enemy can't make your life miserable by sending random parties of 3 flash through your base. Build the minimum amount to make the enemy send attacks that are big enough that it is worth your limited time and attention moving your mobile army to intercept.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

If you have the right attitude when you play your enemy will sense that, and that's more important than any kind of attack.

Remember when Caesar delt with the Ghouls, when they retreated to their hill fortress he realized it was a sign of weakness, and entrenched them into a siege that was like fifty miles in perimeter.

Of course the Ghouls had reinforcements, but Caesar was smart also, having a well disciplined greek army, and knowing what his troops were capable of (and having a killer german cavalry) was able to completely destroy both the Ghouls and their relief army at once.

But the main thing I think he had was a sense of weakness, if you sense ingame your opponent is afraid of a certain thing you should exploit it and you will almost certainly win.

Caesar was also vastly outnumbered, but like the Spartans, was tough enough to be able to calculate a victory anyways.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

jellyman wrote:Defense is so a clever enemy can't make your life miserable by sending random parties of 3 flash through your base. Build the minimum amount to make the enemy send attacks that are big enough that it is worth your limited time and attention moving your mobile army to intercept.
Seconded. The purpose of defense is not to stop the enemy, but rather force him to attack in full strength, making him vulnerable to your mobile units and counterattack.

My strategy, or playstyle, reminds me of liquid wars. I expand towards the enemy and when I come into contact I start putting pressure and trying to envelop him. This requires a steady stream of units - I do not sit and wait for an attack force to assemble, I use what I have to do the most damage possible throughout the game. Well, I do sit and wait if the enemy is too strong for me to do significant damage or need to guard something, but in an ideal game there is constant pressure on the enemy. This is also a mind game; to many players, especially the porcupines, a constant battle is unsettling.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

manored wrote:Well diferently from games you cant spend resources to "produce" more soldiers on real life, you have to wait for then to be born and grow up, and there is a limit of how much equipment each can carry or handle and how good training can make then, so you will have spare time to build forts.
That's only if you run out of people, usually you can still draft more when you need them. Equipment for them costs money (especially vehicles). Forts aren't free, you need to outfit them with weapons and staff as well as pay for their construction when you could be building a factory for more equipment instead.
Strategy is how you plan to win the war from the beggining to the end, not what you improvisate on the middle of it, thats more like tactic.
IOW strategy is a useless first prediction of what you'll do and as soon as the enemy doesn't move exactly as planned it becomes tactics? No, tactics are the approach to fighting an engagement, strategy is about deciding which engagements to fight and how to get the stuff you need there. Strategies change in mid-war as the situation changes, if a country you considered neutral suddently allies with your enemy you will have to redraft your strategy, decide anew where to attack, where to defend, where to abandon and in which order.
manored

Post by manored »

KDR_11k wrote:
manored wrote:Well diferently from games you cant spend resources to "produce" more soldiers on real life, you have to wait for then to be born and grow up, and there is a limit of how much equipment each can carry or handle and how good training can make then, so you will have spare time to build forts.
That's only if you run out of people, usually you can still draft more when you need them. Equipment for them costs money (especially vehicles). Forts aren't free, you need to outfit them with weapons and staff as well as pay for their construction when you could be building a factory for more equipment instead.
IOW strategy is a useless first prediction of what you'll do and as soon as the enemy doesn't move exactly as planned it becomes tactics? No, tactics are the approach to fighting an engagement, strategy is about deciding which engagements to fight and how to get the stuff you need there. Strategies change in mid-war as the situation changes, if a country you considered neutral suddently allies with your enemy you will have to redraft your strategy, decide anew where to attack, where to defend, where to abandon and in which order.
Ever person you draft is one less person to work back in the country, one less person to work in the weapons factories... so population is the more precious "resource" for a country, a lot more than money. If building a fort will minimize your casualities, you should do so.

I didnt said strategy was a first prediction, but rather how you plan to win on the big picture, planning that might require changing along the way. And the "improvisation" war suggested by Picasso is more alike tactics than strategy I would say.

I dont think liquid wars is a good example, as on liquid wars you dont get new units while resting nor loses then then battling head-on... beside, they are blobs blobing each other :)
smoth

Post by smoth »

there are ample people in the world. By your logic mannored india is the war superpower.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

It took all of, what, 74 German paratroopers to defeat 700+ defenders and capture Eben-Emael?
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

Team game - If you are lucky enough to face an opponent who likes fixed defences, build a spam squad and attack someone else to create a 2 vs 1 situation.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Self destructing llts..Its fun cause it can sometimes kill 4-5 units.
Placing heavy mines in a place where you think a com will walk to.
manored

Post by manored »

smoth wrote:there are ample people in the world. By your logic mannored india is the war superpower.
Well the thing is that the society and economy are structured in a way that doesnt allows countries to use the full potential of their population, since a lot of people are working for thenselfes and not the country... if ever indian started doing everthing the govern told him now and the govern started doing everthing he could for the nation they WOULD be the world's war super-power :) (after a few years off course, weapons and training dont make thenselfes in one day). Tough their small territory could interfere with this since its a lot of people for little space, so less resources avaible, tough following this trail of tough they would probally invade their neighboars soon.

and "manored" is written with one "n" :)
smoth

Post by smoth »

mannored it isn't that simple.
manored

Post by manored »

smoth wrote:mannored it isn't that simple.
It is, but it requires a perfect government in the minimum, what at the moment we cannot achieve in any way.

Return to “General Discussion”