Spring Strategies, each and everyone!

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I am going to say most of my offensive tactics, which do prove useful...

Aerial Transports
Aerial transports are very effective at what they do, transporting.. They give slow units, like skuttles and vehicles, a lot of speed, as much as some aircraft, I use these in raids to bring my units around and flank the enemy....

Defensive/Offensive Lines
Ever said screw it, and blown a hole in the ground? Thats what I do when the enemy won't sit still, I use strong units like guardians/punishers and better to dig big holes that the enemy can't cross, then take pot shots at em with long range stuff, when they try to escape send other units there...

Expansion of Defenses
Heh, I wonder how many people have seen this one? It's when I build defenses in areas that seem useless, but have some metal or something else important, I do this with planes because they are fast, and easy to group up, I ruined many games with this one, works best on hills :P

Defending your Defenses
Put 4-5 dragon teeth in front of a tower and see what happens, nothing touches it unless it fires up more, this one is good for rushers or people who make raids that come too fast to repair your units in time....

That's all I got for now, I don't feel like typing more, what are your strategies?

Last edited by Snipawolf on 29 Oct 2006, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: TA Spring Strategies, each and everyone!

Post by KDR_11k »

Snipawolf wrote:It's when I build defenses in areas that seem useless, but have some metal or something else important
Why does an area with something important seem useless?
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

By Useless I meant almost no strategical value, except the metal, if you do the expansion first, then its yours and they can't touch it :P

Edit: Something else important might be a large hill or mountain, maybe a chokepoint...

Anyways post some of your strategies...

Unless their top secret :wink:
Foxomaniac

Post by Foxomaniac »

1. Attack Attack Attack!

Keep pressure on the enemy so he'l either have to park units here and there or build tons of defenses, if you find that you can't assault his main base you should go and assault his metal extractors, I doubt that he'l make every Mex as an exploiter >_>.

2. Attack from unexpected locations!

This one is obvious, find holes in his defenses and attack from there or from a completely uncommon spot...... or even better AIRDROP!!!!111 if he doesn't have AA.

This is good w/ Gunships as well, I avoided the tons of MTs and FLAK into the back of their base where all the yummy goodies were (fusion/metalmakers/anti-nukes/etc) and allowed me to win the game 4v1 O.O .

3. T1 = always useful.

Nuff sed.

4. Mix units.

Mixxing units makes them ten times better >_>.

5. Cons, lots of em.

You'l need them for many things such as HLT Wars / Mex Capping / Factory Guarding / Guarding T2 Cons =P / Repairing your almost-dead Comm.
Muse

Post by Muse »

1: Porc
Don't do anything!
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Then my defensive expansion would pwn joo!

And better materials :P
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

See the thread I just necro'd. "TASpring Gameplay Tips".

Everything here and moar!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

1. Predators!
Quick, cheap and good for scouting. They appear weak but their laser can wreak havoc with enemy drones. One predator will lose against everything but everything costs more than a bunch of predators. They've also got the biggest range of sight so make sure you have some of them around.

2. See and don't be seen.
ACVs see a lot. Use them to shoot at your enemy before he knows you are there. Especially with long range weapons that's effective. If your enemy fields bigger units always keep in mind that they see more than a drone. Especially enemy ACVs should be taken out quickly. When you face a Trireme you must use a big unit to spot it, any scout drones will be destroyed immediately.

3. Mix!
This can't be emphasized enough: Don't rely on one unit type. If you use too many drones you'll see Triremes ripping them apart before they know what's happening. ACVs grouped for their orbital strikes will fall prey to missile drones.

4. Scorched Earth
Triremes explode BIG when self-destructing, that's useful for both offense and defense. Just don't forget to trigger the self destruct early enough, five seconds are a lot of time in a battle. Alternatively you can use Linebreakers but you can't prevent them from exploding big. What if your enemy was losing the battle but manages to put enough missiles into your Linebreaker?

5. Energy.
You should spend ressources to increase your energy capacity. Don't overdo it and lack the ressources to build the upgraded units and don't forget it or you'll see orbital strikes hitting your base while you can't even fire your Titan missiles. Okay, this goes into "well, duh" territory.

6. Don't underestimate the Titan.
The missile volley is highly effective for dealing with large units. Fire it at close range and you'll break through armor in no time. The shield can be useful as well to establish a line of defense (beware of Linebreakers, though!). But keep in mind that you need energy! A Titan without energy can be taken down by a single drone! Well, not really because you can reclaim drones in splitseconds but you have to be there to give that order.

etc etc. But I guess you wanted AA strategies, not strategies for random mods noone plays.
Molloy

Post by Molloy »

This game is too sophisticated to write a neat forum post that sums up the strategy. There are too many variables. You really just have to play with good people, and you pick it up that way.

The major pointers would be 1. expand and 2. attack. Most newbies in this game play too many porc maps so they don't understand how vital those two things are if you're on a proper map.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

What mod was that for, KDR?
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

I prefer the Ten Spring Commandments

They apply to most/all mods, from what I've seen.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Its usually better to go around the enemy defenses and try to kill his economy. Only fight when its nessecary, a lost lasertower is easily replaced but a destroyed solar (about same price I think) also slows his expansion.

@KDR_11k
non-ota-based mods are fine too, just write what mods your ideas are for. (Final Frontier I think)
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

that would be his mod Cosmos vs. Chaos, still in early alpha phase.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Someone post AI code :P
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

2v2 Comm ends game

1) Get like 20 Atlases
2) Locate both enemy commanders
3) ?????
4) COMSPLODE

:cry: Steven does this every game and it dosent make LolSquad many friends :cry:
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

its hilarious and only noobs don't get one AA tower and or walk their com around.
Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn »

Actually walking comm can't be taken :P, so they are probably not "walking" it around =P.
Day

Post by Day »

maybe thats why he gets 20... so you have a hard time sellecting your commander? :wink:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Hellspawn wrote:Actually walking comm can't be taken :P, so they are probably not "walking" it around =P.
That's exactly what he said. When you get chased by atlas just get an AA tower up and walk your com in lines around it.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Day: CTRL-C?

Return to “General Discussion”