Game query protocol

Game query protocol

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwarden

Game query protocol

Post by Dwarden »

What query protocol, if at all will be TA Spring using? (ie for game lobby and second party browsers (ASE, HLSW, QTRACKER etc) ...

if Your networking guy get free time he should take look at

http://www.open-game-protocol.org/spec/ ... _v1.00.htm

and modify it for TAS needs ...
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

I made my own protocol for the lobby/server. I'm going to write up some documentation on it, but it's pretty minimal and possibly full of holes at the moment. It's my first protocol!
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Woot for reinventing the wheel!
Dwarden

Post by Dwarden »

Was just suggestion ...
OGP got thru many revisions to reach first final release (and there was lot of work put in to made it secure and traffic friendly also
some games implemented it already (older builds) or modified for theirs need ...
will wait to see your protocol documentation ...
smokingwreckage

Post by smokingwreckage »

SO don't reinvent the wheel, mmkay, cos reinventing the wheel is bad, mmkay?

I could be wrong.
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

do you know what a protocol even is? its a pre defined set of commands used for communication. tcp/ip is a protocol used for actually sending messages, whereas a protocol in games can be something like "packet header 0x02. this is a chat message header, so the next x bytes should be text"
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Any chance you could take the current protocol and adapt chat to use Jabber or some other chat protocol for which there are already messenger client etc so that we can just chat in the lobby in soemthign like trillian if we have everything else. Or better yet an IRC channel, there's masse sof stuff for those.

*pulls out ethereal and thinks of spring*
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

im just thinking of KISS atm... who knows for future versions

Return to “General Discussion”