Ideas for discouraging speedmetal - Page 2

Ideas for discouraging speedmetal

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

DarkOppressor

Post by DarkOppressor »

I find it disturbing that this community seems hellbent on telling people how to play a free game. If you don't enjoy speedmetal, don't play on it. That aside, leave people alone and let them play what they want for crying out loud.
Last edited by DarkOppressor on 15 Jul 2006, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
HAARP

Post by HAARP »

Shall I break Godwin's Law?
NightSky

Post by NightSky »

Why do people care so much about what other people are doing? If people are playing in a speed metal game, guess what, they are not in your game, and not bothering you in any way.

If we are going to start telling people what maps to play, lets start assigning times people can play, what side they can play, what tatics to use... And if its getting let, lets tell them its their bed time!

The real problem with spring i see is how the so called 'noobs' are treated. I have 2 friends i tried to get playing spring. Every game they joined they got !kicked for being a noob, or totally annihilated so fast they didnt learn anything, and the experienced players on their team continually calling them 'Fu*ken noobs', discouraged them from playing. Now i cant even get them to play any more. And a lot of people who work and have families dont have a lot of time to spend spectating games or spending countless hours learning to play under such rude conditions from other players. Speed metal is popular with 'noobs' because they can play and compete quick

Just my opinion...
I do prefer non-speed metal maps now, but it did take me a while to learn how to play on them.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Speedmetal is not a strategic map. I don't think anyone should get delusions of mastering strategy playing speedmetal. What it is is a fast paced skill map. If you beat your opponent on speedmetal it's because you outbuilt him, that's basicly the jist of it.

Speedmetal is not your thinking mans game, speedmetal is fastpaced motor/game skill, and that's it.
Theotherguy

Post by Theotherguy »

another reason we want to discouragle players from speedmetal is that it detracts from the normal games. For every speedmetal server there are four or so people who could be playing a regular game, and that translates into waiting in the lobby for an insane amount of time while speedmetal servers pop up and down around your regular server like flies.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

NightSky raises a point. Treatment of newbs in Spring is generally poor.

However, from my perspective, a lot of newbs both a) haven't the faintest clue how to play, b) can't be bothered to spec a game to gain a clue, and c) aren't willing to listen to advice/orders from the more experienced players on their team.

Why?

a) Most newbs nowadays lack clue as to how to play. Up until maybe 6 months ago, most newbies to Spring were people who had played TA before. They had a basic idea of how to play, how resources worked, etc. However, it seems that more and more people are playing Spring that are completely new to the TA concept. Therefore, more and more newbs tend to lack clues.

b) Most newbs can't be bothered to spec a game. Let's admit it, speccing a game tends to be extremely boring for the first 10 minutes - so even if someone specs, he will be bored and possibly drop in the beginning. Specs as a whole don't tend to pay attention to economics, but only to the fights, which leads to an ignorance of resource management.

c) All too many newbs just won't listen to people who know how to play. For example, I play on Altored Divide a lot. It's vital to stick an LLT or two at the entrance to the middle from your side, to stop very early raids. I always remind everyone to do that. However, last time I did that, there was a completely new one-stripe player who simply refused to listen - he was like "omg mind your own business, I am building my base right now". Needless to say, we lost.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

We need tutorial missions!

How hard would those to make?

who implented the LUA in spring?

Can that person do some documentation?
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Felix the Cat wrote:NightSky raises a point. Treatment of newbs in Spring is generally poor.

However, from my perspective, a lot of newbs both a) haven't the faintest clue how to play, b) can't be bothered to spec a game to gain a clue, and c) aren't willing to listen to advice/orders from the more experienced players on their team.

Why?

a) Most newbs nowadays lack clue as to how to play. Up until maybe 6 months ago, most newbies to Spring were people who had played TA before. They had a basic idea of how to play, how resources worked, etc. However, it seems that more and more people are playing Spring that are completely new to the TA concept. Therefore, more and more newbs tend to lack clues.

b) Most newbs can't be bothered to spec a game. Let's admit it, speccing a game tends to be extremely boring for the first 10 minutes - so even if someone specs, he will be bored and possibly drop in the beginning. Specs as a whole don't tend to pay attention to economics, but only to the fights, which leads to an ignorance of resource management.

c) All too many newbs just won't listen to people who know how to play. For example, I play on Altored Divide a lot. It's vital to stick an LLT or two at the entrance to the middle from your side, to stop very early raids. I always remind everyone to do that. However, last time I did that, there was a completely new one-stripe player who simply refused to listen - he was like "omg mind your own business, I am building my base right now". Needless to say, we lost.
Don't classify by stripes, I haven't got to testing my mod yet!
mongus

Post by mongus »

NightSky wrote:Why do people care so much about what other people are doing? If people are playing in a speed metal game, guess what, they are not in your game, and not bothering you in any way.

If we are going to start telling people what maps to play, lets start assigning times people can play, what side they can play, what tatics to use... And if its getting let, lets tell them its their bed time!

The real problem with spring i see is how the so called 'noobs' are treated. I have 2 friends i tried to get playing spring. Every game they joined they got !kicked for being a noob, or totally annihilated so fast they didnt learn anything, and the experienced players on their team continually calling them 'Fu*ken noobs', discouraged them from playing. Now i cant even get them to play any more. And a lot of people who work and have families dont have a lot of time to spend spectating games or spending countless hours learning to play under such rude conditions from other players. Speed metal is popular with 'noobs' because they can play and compete quick

Just my opinion...
I do prefer non-speed metal maps now, but it did take me a while to learn how to play on them.
Cant agree more. totally, and you really touch some critical points, worth deviating the topic.

Its true, many players abuse newcomers. They play againt them, in clan games, making teams of full stars totally floor the other team, usually composed of new players and some or other valiant.
Also, some people hosts games just for noob bashing, many times in maps with known balance flaws.

And there is one excuse. No one likes to be called a noob, and many of us try very hard to learn and improve, to be competitive as much as we can.
What happens?, when comes the time to play against some non competitive one, we cannot/fail recognize its a tender and innocet noob we are playing against, and that noobs are like plants, if you treat them ind the bad manner, will take out our eyes at some point... or something.. i think i lost.

will any of you be mad, if the time spent in metally(only in the extreme cases*) maps, didnt give you the full experience for ingame time?

(oh, and for those reading this thread the first time, remember the topic is swiftspear opinion on this thread, and has nothing to do with the original).
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

omg if you thought speedmetal was bad, don't go near sheermetal... i was tricked earlier today, after thinking it would be normal (~1-2 M a mex) (didnt notice the stuffs below the minimap in the lobby)

>25K M a mex! :shock:
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Bah, it kinda gets a litthe unessacry when you get over the 100-400 M per mex mark...

a 10k E wind thou... that would make a SPAM SPAM SPAMMYYYY GAME!
mongus

Post by mongus »

i think we should ban buggi -.- (jk)
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

I believe we should have two main channels in the lobby, one for speed metal and one for other maps.
Johns_Volition

Post by Johns_Volition »

Charlemagne wrote:I believe we should have two main channels in the lobby, one for speed metal and one for other maps.
Uh.. why exactly?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Charlemagne wrote:I believe we should have two main channels in the lobby, one for speed metal and one for other maps.
Not plausable. Feel free to get #speedmetal registered if you want to spearhead that project though.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I believe the list of games should be dependent on the channel selected (only at time of creation for hosts).
Sgt Doom

Post by Sgt Doom »

Some mods are almost impossible without 300+ metal per second. FF, for example.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

that is only 1 mod. All the others have a more responsible economy, to my knowledge. If I'm wrong, point it out to me though.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Also the mods have the option to increase mex output.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

FizWizz wrote:that is only 1 mod. All the others have a more responsible economy, to my knowledge. If I'm wrong, point it out to me though.
It isn't unreasonable for FF because the mex produce massive amounts of metal per mex, and the ships cost insane amounts of metal and energy.

Return to “General Discussion”