Non-TA units

Non-TA units

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Zoombie

Non-TA units

Post by Zoombie »

I heard that The Yankspankers (that is a wird name as i have constantly said) are going to make non TA units for Spring, and i was wondering what they would be. SiFi, fantasy, Technothriller or a wird combination of two or three... but if you need some unit ideas i could probebly think up some... hmmm howabout a steam powered dragon!.... uhhhhh no
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

My suggestion: Just wait and see :)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Make us a dalek, just for me eh?
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

no kindoms shit!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Actually there are a great number of players who say kingdoms is shit bacause other people do even though they've no idea why and in most cases they ahvent a clue. And then there are those of us who just miss explosions.
I think it was the single resources and the high expectations that OTA created.

But I think the SY's could pull off a medieval or prehistoric RTS if they wished, but just remember they themselves said they're not artists
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Personly I was gonna make a brand new set of races, nothing to do with original TA, and reake havok with them. But ill prob wait for the NUF. It would rock casue all the total conversions will probablie get put into spring. Ummmm. And then, as it can support all the races, with a lot of time and effort someone could balance all the races aginst each other and youd have hundreds! Well, a lot of races anyway, way more than the normal 2 or 3

Starwars ATA vers a WW2 tank... that would just be funny....

aGorm
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

but just remember they themselves said they're not artists
Programmer art is no worse than abstract art. :-)
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

You could say there ausom unit balencing is an art form in itself. I dont care if they cant draw.

aGorm
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Now see here, the main reson i dont like TAK is becasue.... i miss explosions. Also the TA graphics engian is not realy very good with organic units. Mainly its the flame effects that i hate, they look realy bad. Also its the whole one resourse thing, less units and NO tanks or nukes. However it dose do Zombies quite good. Mainly my freind made up a very fun thing to try to stop. He builds nothing but zombie makeing places and starts sending them in MASSIVE hodes. It was at thease times i always said "i wish i had gaurdians... oh how i wish i had gaurdians"
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

WillRiker wrote:no kindoms shit!
i think my statement still stands. let me just rephrase it:

TAK is shit.

none of us want to see ANY orcs/elfs/wizards/magic spells/dragons/magic in general/witches or any other LOTR (and yes the movies sucks, face it the only reason why you liked them is coz they spent more then them then albanian government spends in a year) crap with in 1000km of spring.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I'll not repeat myself. TAK sucks. I say it with good reason and based on my own judgement.

That aside. The springers have already said that their program happens to also support TA format. because in the end it will have their own unit type also.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

WillRiker, thats the bigest load of crap i ever heard. Sure TA Kindoms wasn't a patch on TA, but it wern't that bad. And Fantasy games like WC3 arn't that bad either so I wouldn't mind if someone made a decent fantasy war game in spring.

And LOTR was very good. Sure they missed out some bits that disaponted me a little, but all in all they were very good films (well the last two, the first one was a bit slow i'll admit). The reason they were liked was becasue they were good.

aGorm
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Riker! How dare you defile the holy grail of the fantasy world. LOTR is a classic book and though the movies seem to miss out a lot and cut the story short and werent exactly the best, JR Tolkien is still my fav author and I sugegst you read the LOTR trilogy and the silmarrilion and then come back and say its utter shite. Afterall a good book doesnt need a collection of armed forces and tanks does it?
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

WillRiker wrote:... none of us want to see ANY orcs/elfs/wizards/magic spells/dragons/magic ...
Next time, try to speak only for yourself.

I like TAK.

And, if you're considering that wizards and orcs will show up in TA-Spring, you are extremely probably very wrong.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I didn't like TA:K either.

Basically because the TA engine was made for long ranged combat, not melee combat, so any long ranged units became immensely overpowered in that game. The resource system had a lot to be desired as well.

Basically, there were gaping holes in the games balance, because it was thrown together too quickly.

Tis a shame, noone has made a good fantasy RTS yet. Noone really knows how to do melee combat in an RTS properly (except for perhaps Rome, but that's because its on such a huge scale, they can afford to kill a guy in less than a second).
And although the LOTR movies were very good, LOTR:Battle for Middle Earth just plain stank. It was like the graphics of today with the gameplay of 10 years ago. Yeuch.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:... the TA engine was made for long ranged combat, not melee combat ...
I also think that is one of the biggest problems in TAK. And also in most others like Warcraft 3.

Probably the game that best implemented melee combat that i have seen, is really starcraft...
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

RTW is an awesome strategy game, definately has the best meelee combat of modern games, AOE was good, though I can't really say about multi.
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

LOTR is good, but not really RTS material.

Kingdoms sucked because it didn't actually do anything new.

Starcraft generally sucks. Although you are right about melee combat. OTA could do that, but it was kinda sad.

Yes, LOTR cost more than most national welfare budgets, but most military budgets outclass all 3 films in 1 go.

I think I remember SJ or someone mentioning that the Melee combat effects would be put into spring for the community to work on.

End List.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

[K.B.] Napalm Cobra wrote:RTW is an awesome strategy game, ...
haaa, what game is that? I can't seem to get past the Return To Castle Wolfenstein translation...
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Yeah, strategy- poke your head around the corner and blast some nazi's.

But anyway, I meant rome total war.

Return to “General Discussion”