The 56k factor

The 56k factor

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

The 56k factor

Post by AF »

Ok well my mums making ti ever more difficult to get broadband without moving out, and there are lots of others on 56k dialup. So will we be able to ply spring or is it so bandwidth intensive its a Broadband (256kbp+) only club?
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

i hope 56k's can't play it!
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

hope they can. i have been a 56ker for about 7 years (broadband now 2meg) but i know what it feels like...
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

in its current state, i don't think its very 56 k friendly...
Archangel of Death

Post by Archangel of Death »

What looks like it will probably be the minimum speed connection that can play it well?
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

56k also doesn't work great in OTA, 2v2 is about the max you can do for 20 minutes, after that lag is too severe. I don't think it will be very heavy on upload, the principle is the same as in OTA and that rarely sends more than 10kb up.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Well there are enough anti 56k people out there, I advise you to simply not play 56kers and take pity on them instead of flaming them for being on a 56k. I know if I could I'd get DSL but I cant.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I'm still on 56k, and I've never been on cable.

I have, for a while, relegated to myself that modern games will not play on 56k. Its part of the reason why I still play TA ;)

56k is outdated and outmoded. You can't expect them to make Spring work on a 500mhz (sadly, my specifications too), simply because that is the hardware of several years ago, and it would limit spring exceedingly.

No, make Spring for broadband. I don't expect to be able to play Spring till I upgrade to broadband.

But if and when I do upgrade to broadband, I expect Spring to be as good as I can get for a broadband connection! 8)
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

56k and ota go great together. i neverhad any problems, however the max ive played was 2v2.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ok so by reducing the bandwidth voerload by comrpession ro whatnot so that any ordinary game by OTA standards would work on a 56k then you've just reduced the limits for DSL connections aswell. Thus when DSL is outmoded and we're in need of greater bandwidth the DSL people will still be able to sue it. Though knowing the way the market changes I doubt anyone but the americans will have that problem
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

You guys should really get broadband. (I haven't used dialup since last millenium. Seriously.) You can do so much more with it, like streaming video, p2p, and bittorrent for starters. Not to mention look at multiple sites simultaneously. Split the cost with some roommates if you must. It's worth it.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I find that a most unfair thing to say. Do you realy think they dont wish they had it?!?! Points you havent taken into account:

1) Area, some areas just can get broudband at the moment I have several friends that are just to far into the sticks to recive it.

2) Some people like poor Alantai, cant get it simply because there perents wont get it. They have no control of the situation.

3) Whilest BB prices have droped, some people dont think they can afford it. Addmitadly mostly there rong as its just as cheep, but hay, maybe its not. There always a setup cost that can be quite high.

There is no rule about not being able to look at multipl site on 56k either, nor can you not do any of those other things you mentioned. You jsut cant do them fast.

PS I do have BB so dont come back and say im a losser whos attached to his 56k cause i much perfer my 1 meg BB.

aGorm
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

Sorry aGorm. I assumed everyone here was 20+ years old, given that TA came out when I was 15.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Hell are younger people not allowed to play computrer games then? :-) no worries mate. Im only 18 myslef but i remember when it came out. Well actully when the CC came out, cause I was a bit behind but hay.

aGorm
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Meh. I was one of the first w TA myself. X-mas prezzie when we first got PC.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

It prob wouldn't have run on my first PC... it was a 486 DX 100 with 32 meg of Ram.

Dont diss cause that was very fast in the day!

However I got it personly whne they relased the box set with all 3. Befor that it was borrowing of mates, and I had only just got a good enough computer to raealy run it well so i thought hay, lets buy that realy good game.

Little did I know it would take over my life for teh next 10 years...
(never have i spent 30£ more wisely)

aGorm
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Yikes and now I dotn even ahve dialup, the mother has cancelled AOL (aol wtf was she thinking) sayign 'it's for my health'
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

What is she trying to do? Give you a heart attack?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

No no no she says it's to prevent anything bad happenign says I go on it too much already. Of course she doesnt understand and has no intention of listening since she thinks it'll just be another excuse I've made up to stay on the computer.

Return to “General Discussion”