Rotatable Buildings - yet again.

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Yeah. Only now they need testing - http://edf.tauniverse.com/spring.zip. :D

Add

Code: Select all

bind '<' spinbuilddir
bind '>' unspinbuilddir
to uikeys.txt. That way you'll have to shift-press a key to change orientation, but at least it will work while queueing orders.

I post this in GD because I need testers, not only developers, and the relevant thread in Dev is rather disused now.

Post feedback here, any bugs you find, anything. I need to know if it works in net games, because I can't test it myself. I don't even know how to test it - because I doubt you can connect through the lobby with this version.

[edit] - oh, and somebody mirror the file - I don't know what limit does that ftp have now.
Last edited by Sean Mirrsen on 02 Jul 2006, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
colorblind
Spring Developer

Post by colorblind »

It seems to work ok. Nice work!

But you might want to post the patch somewhere, so that the devs can have another look at it.

"(un)spinbuilddir" isn't very intuitive; I would suggest "leftrotatebuilddir" and "rightrotatebuilddir". I'm not too keen on the info->AddLine messages you've thrown in; I can see for myself that I've rotated the building direction.

If aynone want to test it online you have to make sure everyone who joins the game has the same exe. I would recommend backing up the original one :P.

As for your bandwidth limit: compress the exe next time. It saves you aprroximately 1.5 mb.
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

It won't be much work to remove the messages or change binding names (which is kinda unrelated, since you normally don't see them). My primary concern is whether or not it works in netplay - I have no means to even play Spring on our local net, let alone test anything.
Rafal99

Post by Rafal99 »

It doesn't rotate ground decals under buildings!

But great job anyways, thank you for it!
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Rafal99 wrote:It doesn't rotate ground decals under buildings!
Aha! I saw this one coming a mile away. Doesn't *really* break anything, but if it'd be possible to rotate the decals as well that'd be superb.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Works fine by the looks of it, but it seems to rotate the wrong way. :?
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

then bind it the other way :P
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

I want to mention somthing that it seems most people overlook:

An MTR/DTR (Daily Topic Rotation) issue was just addressed and fixed. For this alone, I think SM deserves 3 things:

1: A cake.

2: A beer.

3: A "hoe". (No offense intended to any culture, race, sex, or garden implament by the use of the word 'A'.)

Words cannot express my grattitude for putting somthing this "simple" yet complex into a game that everyone can enjoy. Well done.:lol:
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

omg!! you forgot cookies!

e: updated the MTR part of the wiki
Last edited by esteroth12 on 02 Jul 2006, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I am the cookie King, I ahve a special cookie for sean
smoth

Post by smoth »

Ok, done trying it, you need to rotate the grounddecals.

*Edit* and you need to turn the unit also. While it might seem like no big deal because the south has the units already turned around the the units get lost in the factories less often.

Fix that it would be the NICE * End edit*
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Rafal99 wrote:It doesn't rotate ground decals under buildings!...
O_O
<_<
>_>
>_<

I KNEW I forgot something! :headbash:
Ok, will try to fix it.

Regarding units - you mean units getting built like buildings (like in nanoblobs) or units being built by factories? In the latter case, I think they are properly rotated... I mean, the buildings are placed as if they are mere units turned to a certain direction, and since the built units orient to the nanopad piece's direction, it should even theoretically work fine.

As for the offerings - I'll accept the cake and the cookies, for my b-day was merely some 2 weeks ago and I can still use 'em, but I'll reject the beer - I don't drink, though it's strange for a russian, and not the hoe - being frequently taken to a place of ultimate terror, exhaustion and humiliation (referred to as "dacha", which basically is a countryhouse with some small vegetable field attached), I've seen quite enough of those.
And yes, I am aware of the implied alternative meaning of the word "hoe" :)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

the funny thing is... I think he missed the intended meaning of "hoe". Either that or I read it wrong :shock:
smoth

Post by smoth »

If you build a base pointed north, the unit is still pointed to the default... south.

Sorry.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I guess he hasn't tested with AA.

I'll explain: in Absolute Annihilation, i've disabled unit rotation since it could commonly add anywhere from 1-5 seconds to the buildtime of any unit (and for things being built with assistance from constructors, that could very well be doubling the built time). It also causes traffic jams in one-way-exit factories.

The thing that needs to be fixed is the rotate piece that the unit sits on has to turn 90 degrees or whatever on creation. This is how I fixed it in OTA:AA for multi-direction factories, but I'm sure you can come up with a better solution, o great and wise developing one.

If you can't fix it, the multi-direction factories, in AA (played by more than 3/4 of the community according to the last time server stats were available) the tweak you've done will unfortunately be useless, since the units will still have to turn to go anywhere, eliminating most of the benefit if I understand correctly.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Honestly, you should develop your mod around the engine, not expect the engine to be developed around your mod. If rotatable factories work with other mods, I'm sure there's a way to make them work with AA.
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

No, actually the problem here lies with the engine. The system just assumed the factories were all facing one way, and set the unit heading to piece direction - despite the fact that the relative direction is hell knows where. I fixed it now. Works fine in AA. Link in first post updated. Now working on rotating building decals.
Slamoid

Re: Rotatable Buildings - yet again.

Post by Slamoid »

Sean Mirrsen's filehost wrote:Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
Apache/1.3.34 Server at http://www.edf.tauniverse.com Port 80
There is poop. Lots of it. Could this be some sort of lamers' attack on TAuniverse? Or just devs being too good?
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

He must have one crippled quota... I'll fix it when I'm back on my PC later.

[edit] Or now. What the heck do you have on there that's using over 2 GB of bandwidth in 3 days, Sean?

[double plus edit] What the hell is that crap? Who else has access to your ftp? I see one file in particular that's grounds for getting the whole damn thing nuked, it's a certain 160 MB zip... you might want to delete it asap.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

NEVER give someone access to your FTP. This lesson I've seen learned the hard way many a time.

Return to “General Discussion”