Proposal:A Day without Speedmetal. - Page 2

Proposal:A Day without Speedmetal.

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

unpossible

Post by unpossible »

lol
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Speed metal is a fine map.
Soni

Re: Proposal:A Day without Speedmetal.

Post by Soni »

Dragon45 wrote: 2) I won't have to see five SpeedMetal games sucking players from real games that I want to play in.
Rather selfish don't you think?
"I want to ban their maps so I can play mine."

How about we 'ban' your maps so you lose your power of choice and are forced into playing these maps you seem to hate?
My guess is you would whine and choose not to play, and last time I checked losing players isn't the best outcome.

I've never bothered to play speedmetal maps but have specced, and it is obviously a fast paced, no resource management, almost-spam-fest game of who can build more krogs quicker.. But each to their own, change is good in moderation I guess..
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

speedmetal noobs really should be let in their cages as krog said. trust me you do not want players from speedmetal maps in your game. we need to wean them of slowly and make a rehab centre =)
Soulless1

Re: Proposal:A Day without Speedmetal.

Post by Soulless1 »

Soni wrote:
Dragon45 wrote: 2) I won't have to see five SpeedMetal games sucking players from real games that I want to play in.
Rather selfish don't you think?
"I want to ban their maps so I can play mine."

How about we 'ban' your maps so you lose your power of choice and are forced into playing these maps you seem to hate?
My guess is you would whine and choose not to play, and last time I checked losing players isn't the best outcome.

I've never bothered to play speedmetal maps but have specced, and it is obviously a fast paced, no resource management, almost-spam-fest game of who can build more krogs quicker.. But each to their own, change is good in moderation I guess..
methinks you left your sense of humour in your other trousers today :P
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I'm not happy about forcing people to play a certain way. Speedmetal is to spring what garry's mod is to HL2. Could you imagine if valve came out so strongly against that as many of you would like us to do against speedmetal? It's just a sandbox version of the game, and it's a fun game to sandbox, get over it. I wish the speedmetalers would play more mods though, I think EE could be a pretty damn fun speedmetal game.
Aun

Post by Aun »

SwiftSpear wrote:I wish the speedmetalers would play more mods though, I think EE could be a pretty damn fun speedmetal game.
Not with that single pathway and EEs strong anti-aircraft... It would probably become a GD map because of the artillery.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I like M3M's rehab center idea.
Day

Post by Day »

rehab for the speedmetallers!
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

RedDragonGecko wrote:why the hell does so many people hate speedmetal? Or is it just all metal maps in general?
All metal maps exept Metal Heck. Since that is the only metal map who doesn't screw everything this game* is about.

*meaning most mods. though some mods like to be played on Speed metal, or are even making all others maps just like it.

Restricting a map for a day could be covered as some sort of event. Just to bumb all players who rarly play non-speed metal maps to something else.
Though there is no way or orginising it, unless Betalord makes some option for it in the lobby.
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

RedDragonGecko wrote:why the hell does so many people hate speedmetal? Or is it just all metal maps in general?
Because it completely destroys any element of balance or strategy in favour of an explosionfest. Most modders consider it an insult to the hard work they've put into balancing their mods.

It's also useless as a sandbox. A sandbox is a simplified environment where people can test out strategies. A good example of this would be a mod restricted to L1 units or something like NanoBlobs. SpeedMetal teaches the people that play it nothing but bad habits, and then, when they think they can play, they ruin the play experience on other maps by (eg) trying to Krog-rush, crippling their team.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Egarwaen wrote:
Because it completely destroys any element of balance or strategy in favour of an explosionfest. Most modders consider it an insult to the hard work they've put into balancing their mods.

It's also useless as a sandbox. A sandbox is a simplified environment where people can test out strategies. A good example of this would be a mod restricted to L1 units or something like NanoBlobs. SpeedMetal teaches the people that play it nothing but bad habits, and then, when they think they can play, they ruin the play experience on other maps by (eg) trying to Krog-rush, crippling their team.
No, a snadbox is simply something where you have easy access to all the content available. Speedmetal trades off map positioning stratigey in favor of sandbox gameplay. For that reason it's simple, it's easy, it's fun, and it's explody. There's no law saying gameplay has to be your specific brand of hard, people can play the game however they want as long as it's within the scope of what is developmentally plausable.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

SpeedMetal sucks. It wrecks the game on so many levels.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Doomweaver wrote:SpeedMetal sucks. It wrecks the game on so many levels.
So what, it's fun. This is a game, that's why we play.
Andreask

Post by Andreask »

At least play CPIA.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Andreask wrote:At least play CPIA.
It's not fun, it just ends up a BB war.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

SwiftSpear wrote:So what, it's fun. This is a game, that's why we play.
SwiftSpear wrote:It's not fun, it just ends up a BB war.
You are a little against your won statements.
But indeed, most people dislike BB wars. Maps where metal is not a problem, usually ends in a laggy LRPC or krog games. Sometimes with bombers/brawlers on it.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Zenka wrote:
SwiftSpear wrote:So what, it's fun. This is a game, that's why we play.
SwiftSpear wrote:It's not fun, it just ends up a BB war.
You are a little against your won statements.
But indeed, most people dislike BB wars. Maps where metal is not a problem, usually ends in a laggy LRPC or krog games. Sometimes with bombers/brawlers on it.
Speedmetal makes BB implausable because they don't have the range to shoot the whole map. Meaning it's all about unit spam. Old school CPIA is much less fun because all that happens is the other team gets BB up and shells your base, they know exactly where all your metal will be because the pyrimid is the only profitable area. CPIA is less stratigic and less fun then speedmetal.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

The only thing I hate about speed metal is the lag, if it didnt lag it would probably be more fun ^^
But if people enjoy playing it then I dont think anyone can complain, its all about the fun factor... massive robots exploding under a hail of super duper burining hot plasma is fun! weeeeeewwwhoooooo!!
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

Well I've played games in speedmetal with a few different winning tactics - krog rush, zipper rush (that really hurt my pride to be on the receiving end), air swarms and um krog rush.

Oh and I've managed to take control of the center and use LRPCs to win on Speed Metal, but I think that was on my mid rank days, probably against other noob to mid rank players.

Maybe we should have an alternative map/mod day - when everyone is encouraged to try a different mod or an unusual map. And if we announce it ahead of time, then all the players most motivated to do so will turn up and hopefully outnumber the speed metal players. At least a little bit.

Return to “General Discussion”