FileUniverse official statement, listen up.

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Storm

Post by Storm »

Originally posted by El Castro in the TAU news stream:
Anyone attempting to connect to File Universe will be returned a HTTP 509 - Bandwidth Exceeded error.

File Universe has exceeded its 1 Terabyte allowance for the month, and the quota will not be increased, meaning FU will stay down until the end of the month. This is necessary as increasing the quota now would also cause the whole server to exceed its allowed quota by a considerable margin.

This means that the Spring Maplink, which allows people to download maps for TA Spring directly from the lobby, will also not work until the first of next month. Please do not report this as a bug. Please do not report that the server is down: It is working perfectly (or you wouldn't be reading this post).

This was not unexpected, and we have been planning on using this as an opportunity to perform some much-needed maintenance and upgrades to FU, and other areas of the *Universe network, and there is some scheduled-downtime planned during the next few days on TAUniverse.com, UnitUniverse.com, CFUniverse.com, and SupComUniverse.com. If and when the outages do occur, it will be late at night to very early morning, USA time.

Among these upgrades, we intend to install measures which will prevent this from happening in the future (which will potentially result in a decrease of download rates during peak load), and we are currently in the process of negotiating long-term deals that would justify an increase in spending to raise the total quota outright.

The best thing you can do to help is click the donate button, and give us your pocket money, as the server is expected to incur some additional costs this month already. We apologise if you have been inconvenienced, and hope to have the problems permanently resolved by this time next month.

FileUniverse will be operational within 6 days.
This means that if people don't start feverishly clicking every f.ing ad they see or donate a spare buck through paypal, you will see this kind of crap in the end of every month because Nexus is already forking up truckloads of money for absolutely no gain just to keep this thing afloat. Please just f.ing help.
FuzionMonkey

Post by FuzionMonkey »

Damn... 1 TB.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Could it be an idea to make FU one large torrent tracker?
And seed with a cap to make sure the files stay available?
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

That's been suggested numerous times (especially) by myself.

The problem is getting the people to code the damn thing.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

The point here is that I'm not going to donate money for something that can be fixed technicality.
And I'm also not going to click on ad's I don't care for.

Storm: post a request for someone with the skill's to implement something like this.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

I suggest multiple mirror sites as a solution. BT is too dependant on the users. Perhaps some well established gaming sites could help with this(not fileplanet!).
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

However, the thing about BT is that everyone who is connected to the Spring lobby could somehow be connected to the Spring map tracker through some sweet programming means, and if I recall correctly yesterday we had a hundred eighty something people in the lobby. FOOD FOR THOUGHTOMG
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Tim Blokdijk wrote:The point here is that I'm not going to donate money for something that can be fixed technicality.

Storm: post a request for someone with the skill's to implement something like this.
If you won't donate the money, then start donating the time to develop it.
Fat Zombie

Post by Fat Zombie »

I don't mind clicking on the ads. It generates revenue for the site, and you don't have to buy anything, or even look at it.

And as for bittorrent, it's an okay system, but I can't use it as my network uses some sort ofproxy server, and i'm not allowed to modify my network settings. :(
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Fat Zombie wrote:I don't mind clicking on the ads. It generates revenue for the site, and you don't have to buy anything, or even look at it.

And as for bittorrent, it's an okay system, but I can't use it as my network uses some sort ofproxy server, and i'm not allowed to modify my network settings. :(
Can't use it as in you can't open your ports? Or it totally blocks it? If FU would seed and track, it would mean that you could still get the files. The problem is threefold: 1) setting up a tracker on FU. 2) Editing the FU pages to use the tracker instead of vanilla downloading. 3) Editing the spring client to use BitTorrent instead of HTTP requesting.
Fat Zombie

Post by Fat Zombie »

Pxtl wrote:
Fat Zombie wrote:I don't mind clicking on the ads. It generates revenue for the site, and you don't have to buy anything, or even look at it.

Can't use it as in you can't open your ports? Or it totally blocks it? If FU would seed and track, it would mean that you could still get the files. The problem is threefold: 1) setting up a tracker on FU. 2) Editing the FU pages to use the tracker instead of vanilla downloading. 3) Editing the spring client to use BitTorrent instead of HTTP requesting.
I'm not sure. Last time I tried it was a few months back.
alphabeta

Post by alphabeta »

The code wouldn't honestly be that difficult.. A barebones method would be to just make the download links resolve to a dynamically created torrent file instead of the actual file. You could even have a backup method for those who can't use torrents pretty simply. It's just a matter of getting the owner to implement it (or let someone else do it)

Changing the client to automatically seed files wouldn't be as easy, but another pretty barebones solution would be for the battle screen to automatically seed whatever map is selected for the match. Since most people download maps only when they're in a game in which the map is being used anyway, this could save FU alot of bandwidth.
Storm

Post by Storm »

The point here is that I'm not going to donate money for something that can be fixed technicality.

1. Besides the most popular files, there are hundreds of things on the page that are not as popular or in beta form or under constant developement. If you can ensure me at 100% notion that I can at any given time download any given file with the kind of maximum connection the FU server provides you, you may claim it's a technical problem. Until then, it is possible to partly cut down the traffic by torrenting out all the Spring maps, but while that will certainly feel good for a while, that is not a sollution because FU usage grows exponentially.

And regardless, until we find people that can recode the whole thing into a Peer to Peer system, we will still manage downtime in the end of every month. A small donation will cause Nexus to pay for more traffic while losing less money. Regardless of problem, he paid the same bulk for more than three years now. No one has ever given back to him.

2. Who the fuck cares about ads anyway? If people cared, we'd never have a problem in first place. If you forgive me for being blunt, but click the fucking ad wherever you like it or not. It will send a penny back to Nexus. Two clicks a day from each of you will completely pay for all server costs. Is that HARD to accomplish after all he done for you? After all hours we all admins coders and members put down on FU?

3. Nice to see your mental support to get this thing back on track.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

First of all add an option for adding alternate download mirrors, e.g. tasprinc.com/maps/ which could halve your map download bandwidth.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Have to add a function for alternate mirrors.

Also script a function that disables all FU only downloads after a certain server limit. Dunno how to do that, though.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Much as I love FileUniverse, I can't see the point in becoming a paying supporter until:

1) The Maps page is separated into several different pages (alphabetically). The current Maps page is so big that it crashes Opera when I try to load it. If there were a Maps A-D, Maps E-I, Maps J-M, Maps N-R, Maps S-U, Maps V-Z page layout I wouldn't have this problem.

2) FileUniverse gets a larger throughput connection so I'm not downloading at 5 KB/s or lower at certain times.

3) The upload quota is increased to something that won't hit the limit every month, as looks likely - if it hit the limit this month, chances are it will hit the limit next month unless the quota is increased or the downloads are decreased.

I mean, it's a wonderful service - but I don't see any reason to pay for it when it has those problems. If my paying for it will fix them, I'd be happy to pay.
Storm

Post by Storm »

1 I'm not asking you to pay. It'd be awesome if someone did, but that ain't anything I expect from a public with the base age of 17. Those that can, please do. Those that can't, please click the banners until they stop appearing (which they won't).

2. We have eleven admins. Barely any of them moves a fucking finger nowadays except Rabidmongoose and Datanut (they fixed up the OTA maps so good, it almost hurts). I'm gonna demote half of them and find people that can help me out properly.

3. I have never had a lower connection than 60 kb/s and considering my 0.5 Mbit line, that's pretty damn fly. When I download at school I pass 300 kb/s without breaking a sweat. Spring lobby is generally a bit slower, but that's not us as far as I know.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

ok, ill try to click the ads as often i can..
I can close the window as soon as it appears right?
Storm

Post by Storm »

Seems I just struck a deal with IaMaCup to loan some terabytes from his site until we can sort out our problems. Within two weeks, my idea is to shift the entire lobby download to his mirror. That will certainly cut us some slack.

Thank gods for people sitting on TB servers without reason :P
I can close the window as soon as it appears right?
Yes, I think so.
Molloy

Post by Molloy »

The maps section is ridiculously large. There needs to be some sort of review process before you can put a map on the main list. Many of the maps on there are broken.

If we had this process we'd have a much higher quality map list (so people would be more inclined to try out new ones rather than stick with Altored Divide and Speedmetal) and we wouldn't waste so much of FU's bandwidth. Plus, we could torrent all the maps and not have it come to 5 or 600megs rather than 5 or 6 gigs.

Return to “General Discussion”