What happened to FU - Page 3

What happened to FU

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Dude, just use a huge site like bestsharing, and have the list hosted on FU. So that way when you download a map you get the bestsharing (see unnoficial mirror even if they don't know about it) link.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Storm wrote:Bandwidth solved for now... and I made FU entirely for the reason GameSpy existed. I don't care if there are people that can use fileplanet without issues, but I'm not one of them and I will refuse such implication
Well, if we stay the course, we will have banner adds etx in time. So why are you unable to use fileplanet?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I refuse to use fileplanet. Hell no. Fileplanet is the worst file server on the planet.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

gamespy and affiliated servers work for me, however it's annoying havign to register+login to get stuff then wait in lien tog et it.

Ontop fo that the pages always laod up slow which makes downloading soemthign a chore,a dn looking for something a nightmare
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forboding Angel wrote:I refuse to use fileplanet. Hell no. Fileplanet is the worst file server on the planet.
However, it is free and spring is not getting any smaller. These privately run servers are not going to get any bigger and they are going to be stiffled by the bandwidth.

I personally am going to use my CS site for gundam. In the future the mod will be hosted there along with many other files.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Smoth, we've got like 5 hosts who have steped up and offered various ammounts of bandwidth. What we really need now is someone to rewrite FU so that it's capable of distributed sharing between multiple hosts. Oh, and while you're at it maby fix some of the old problems like FU being unable to search for maps reliably, it would be great if when people joined a battle on a map they didn't have we could just automatically start streaming it to them rather then the current system of forcing them to manually find it.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Added links to r1ch's map mirror and IaMaCup's mirror on the first page, use them wizely and storm's gonna use the FU downtime to fix up the system so this kinda thing doesn't hit us like this in the future.
R1CH

Post by R1CH »

Aha, this would be why everyone is complaining of lag on my game server :). Guess I'll go fork over the $10 for a 100mbps port.
El__Castro

Post by El__Castro »

All these offers are excellent, as temporary solutions, and it's always been the plan to work with SY team if we can to help with any sort of bittorrent implementation, however, File Universe wants, and fully intends to continue to provide the primary maplink service for TASpring for the long term. Most of the offers and suggestions so far are temporary, or do not consider the amount of work Storm, Gnome, and others have put into the infrastructure of FU. Simply having the bandwidth (or more importantly, quota - we don't even use half the bandwidth during peak load) isn't enough.

The response in the form of donations to *Universe has, so far, been overwhelming, and it is greatly appreciated from all of us, not least Nexus (the guy who's been paying for it all.) Hopefully this response from you guys will allow FU to make a more speedy return. I would like to reassure you all that we ARE working on this to prevent it happening again. For those who are already saying Spring should jump ship, I'd like to point out that this is only the second outage in more than 1 year of *continuous* service. FileUniverse itself has been improved immensely over time, and is being worked on even as I write this post. As I said, the support and votes of confidence that have come in as donations are encouraging; those suggesting FU be dropped at the first sign of trouble, however, are doing the exact opposite, and show a lack of appreciation for the 9 terabytes FU has served with almost 100% uptime, since November, 2004. We ask only for patience, and if you are so inclined, some financial support until the server is supporting itself properly again, and funding its own (exponential) expansion. We have big plans in the near future, and it's our hope that Spring will be part of them.

Storm's sentiments are unanimous amongst us at *Universe, (so his attitude in defending them is, clearly, unnecessary). :P We don't want FU to be another FilePlanet, and that has been Storm's dream all along. Under no circumstances, whatsoever, at all, ever, nevertimesagoogol will we join forces with Gamespy. It's just not happening.

Official word on developments will come from TAUniverse.com, either on the front page, or in the File Universe forum. It's also worth noting that that's where future problems and queries ought to be discussed also, since our relationship with Spring is a slightly removed one: They can't give official word on what we're doing. :P

Thanks again for all those who have donated, and those who will in the future. It's the best encouragement we can get.
smoth

Post by smoth »

funny, I never recieved any issues with gamespy. I requested hosting once from *universe and was IGNORED. Not even denied, just ignored.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Someone mentioned above:

"Now all we need is someone to rewrite FU for us to..."

Yeah - that's the hard part :P Storm is a busy con kbot, and noone else has stepped up to the plate forever, and my PHP skills arent nearly strong enough to take on something like that. Maybe if you wanted the whole fsking server written in Java, I could do something but failing that - :P
El__Castro

Post by El__Castro »

How can you all forget one poor little garden gnome? Gnome's doing it right now, you boinkheads!
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

load balancing is possibly the easiest script on the planet

<?php
srand((double)microtime()*1000000);
$number = rand(0,4);

//declare mirrors
$mirror[1] = "http://mirror1.com/";
$mirror[2] = "http://mirror2.com/";
$mirror[3] = "http://mirror3.com/";
$mirror[4] = "http://mirror4.com/";

$filename = //FROM DB or W/E

$final = $mirror[$number] . $filename

header("Location: $final");
?>
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

smoth wrote:We could see about getting some planet gamespy hosting. Then we could have all the bandwidth you guys could want. I have been with gamespy since `98 and it is really no big deal.

That would get us unlimited bandwitdth. Plus planetspring would get a TON of attention.
Moron.
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

planet whatever spy is the worst crap ever
smoth

Post by smoth »

Caydr wrote:
smoth wrote:We could see about getting some planet gamespy hosting. Then we could have all the bandwidth you guys could want. I have been with gamespy since `98 and it is really no big deal.

That would get us unlimited bandwitdth. Plus planetspring would get a TON of attention.
Moron.
What the fuck is that suposed to mean caydr?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I hate fileplanet with such a large passion...

Bittorrent is not a good solution either. Multiple mirrors is a good solution. You know, we could use sourceforge. It's free and no restrictions...

Edit: Smoth makes a good point about planetspring getting a lot of attention. It might be worth looking into, however if maps and mods start getting hosted on fileplanet or gamespy in general I will eat all of your children with a spork.
smoth

Post by smoth »

can someone tell me... in clear words WHY people hate *planet sooo much?

Fileplanet is slow, given however, I can still get 9 year old files there.

I used to never use fileplanet and only use ftp.cdrom.com... till that got fawked. Now many really neat mods that were hosted there no longer exist. I can still find my fileplanet files. So why the hate?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Because the site sucks, have to wait for hours on end to get 1 file, ad's are loaded with spyware and popups, need i go on?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I have to side with the majority here, FilePlanet is really not a good solution to download hosting, as the site is... well, crappy.

Return to “General Discussion”