What happened to FU - Page 2

What happened to FU

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Nightstorm71

Post by Nightstorm71 »

An old idea:

make the Maps-size smaller by using templates to design. So every one could use this. There then no more 50Mb Maps.

It was always a Problem for no DSL-Users to get new Maps.

Greetings Peer
Lord JoNil

Post by Lord JoNil »

I like the idea with a "download from host" button but wouldn├óÔé¼Ôäót it be better to have that and another button to send a request to any user in the ├óÔé¼┼ôBattle Screen├óÔé¼┬Ø, who has the map, and ask if you could download from them?

In this case you could distribute the load. On one hand everybody gets the maps faster due to higher bandwidth in conjunction with FU and on the other FU don├óÔé¼Ôäót have to supply the map to everybody.
FuzionMonkey

Post by FuzionMonkey »

Compress map download and upload, then spring will automatically uncompress?

BZ2 or something like that?
kissmet

Post by kissmet »

FuzionMonkey wrote:Compress map download and upload, then spring will automatically uncompress?

BZ2 or something like that?
.sd7 is a compressed format.

BlacStar.sd7 total 10,2 mb
3,0 kb - BlackStar.smd
0,2 mb-blackstar.bmp
3,0 mb - BlackStar.smf
13 mb - BlackStar.smt

Total 16,2 mb aprox.
FuzionMonkey

Post by FuzionMonkey »

you can still compress compressed things...

lol
DarkOppressor

Post by DarkOppressor »

Is anyone making a torrent?
kissmet

Post by kissmet »

FuzionMonkey wrote:you can still compress compressed things...

lol
Max compression were used for this:

BlackStar.sd7 10.728.294 bytes
BlackStar.zip 10.730.058 bytes (adds 0,01%)
BlackStar.rar 10.728.371 bytes (adds 0,0008%)
BlackStar.gz 10.729.966 bytes (adds 0,01%)

You sir, win the internet!
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Yhe, I was goona say, cause i ocasionly zip my sd7 to stop people getting them (IE to add a password) and it actully takes more room, cant beat a 7-zip on ultra. Which is what we use.

aGorm
DarkOppressor

Post by DarkOppressor »

How come when I try to compress a folder of maps with 7zip on ultra, it's bigger than the folder?
kissmet

Post by kissmet »

DarkOppressor wrote:How come when I try to compress a folder of maps with 7zip on ultra, it's bigger than the folder?
Good question, in short it's because the Spring .sd7 format already compress the maps so much that regular compressing does not manage to do a better jobb.

So trying to recompress them just makes a clean copy of the file, in addition to adding information about where the diffrent files start and stop inside the compressed file. That information is what makes your compressed file larger than the original.
DarkOppressor wrote:Is anyone making a torrent?
http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5652
Also try:
http://www.ta-spring.com/maps/
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

DarkOppressor wrote:How come when I try to compress a folder of maps with 7zip on ultra, it's bigger than the folder?
7zip adds data to the already heavily compressed content. So you end up with a few kb more than before.

Nightstorm71: Yes, by splatting the same set of textures map sizes could be greatly reduced as users would already have the map texture in their spring. There dissappears 90% of the filesize of maps designed for this. Textures would be placed as per heightmap and other specific instructions in the smd say lush/arid/volcanic world-whatever. Question is when we are actually going to see this happen for real. This would solve the bandwidth problems as you don't have to download a huge texture map with every map.
FuzionMonkey

Post by FuzionMonkey »

Well what would happen if say... I know somone that has a 5TB B/W dedicated server that needs to use some bandwidth up.
IceXuick

Post by IceXuick »

haha kinda funny,

everyone telling me to use online image/file hosting stuff (when my server went down) and now everybodies img link to FU is down, except mine, which are on my own server!

(thought not all, still have to re upload some)

on the other hand! this sucks! Torrents indeed are a great way to temporarily fix this.
Hopefully FU gets more BW next month.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

not quite, a lot of people here use imageshack.us which has several servers
Storm

Post by Storm »

Well what would happen if say... I know somone that has a 5TB B/W dedicated server that needs to use some bandwidth up.
Then I says Hi. :twisted:
smoth

Post by smoth »

We could see about getting some planet gamespy hosting. Then we could have all the bandwidth you guys could want. I have been with gamespy since `98 and it is really no big deal.

That would get us unlimited bandwitdth. Plus planetspring would get a TON of attention.
Storm

Post by Storm »

No.

Period.

If we were to move to anything affilated with GameSpy, I would personally go in and eraze the whole fucking site myself. I'm not kidding.
zorbawic

Post by zorbawic »

i think that the lobby online map list should contain mirror links
smoth

Post by smoth »

Storm, bandwidth needs to come from somewhere. I don't know what your personal problem with them is but they have always been fine in my eyes. I don't know what YOUR problem with THEM is but they have the bandwitdh and they can get spring some much deserved attention.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Bandwidth solved for now... and I made FU entirely for the reason GameSpy existed. I don't care if there are people that can use fileplanet without issues, but I'm not one of them and I will refuse such implication if so the whole *Universe network depended on it.

Return to “General Discussion”