How to represent fog of war? - Page 3

How to represent fog of war?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

What visual effect should represent fog of war?

Poll ended at 09 Apr 2005, 21:01

a visual fog effect
28%
dithering (greyed-out terrain)
28%
none (as now, units just appear out of nowhere)
No votes
none, but detected units should fade in
8%
a dotted line or the like shows your sight limit
28%
other (please detail)
8%

Total votes: 25

slick_rick

Project Managers (AKA Droids)

Post by slick_rick »

Cheesecan wrote:Since the thread seems to be split between the two camps of dithering and lines, why not just make both possible? just set it via options panel and no tears wept.
You sound like every non-technical project manager I've ever had... "Why not just do both and give the user the option?"... Sure you could do that, but it will take 2.5 -> 3x longer then just doing one. If you take that approact at every option when you add up all those extra little "options" they triple the size/scope/complexity/bloat of the project.

The SY-Spring site went up in November right? This is April and we still haven't seen a beta. Let's not create more work for the Yankspankers at this point. I would rather play something then endlessly discuss something I might never play.

Yankspankers: Ignore the forums, get it playable then release it!
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

What do you mean we haven't seen a beta? Whats that in all those pics/movies? Anyway, it doesn't matter if it takes that much longer to code dual features, from what I can tell we're waiting for Joninkomiko to finish, not the others.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

[K.B.] Napalm Cobra wrote:Anyway, it doesn't matter if it takes that much longer to code dual features, from what I can tell we're waiting for Joninkomiko to finish, not the others.
Oh, I didn't know...
Joninkomiko, if you read that...go working ;)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

tut tut , get off my forum, go on, shoooooo
diggz2k

Post by diggz2k »

WillRiker wrote:wtf iswrong with u, nearly all other 3d, in fact all, 3d rts' use option 1) and all of them run very well on my pc, which is a higher mid range pc.
Are you in high school? All the cool kids are doing it! Grow up.

The game buisness needs to be inovative and different because I'm tired of playing the same ol crap over and over. One advantage of freeware games is that you can be as out of the box as you want without losing vast sums of money.

-my two cents

/edit two days late.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

I just played the latest settlers game and it used dithering and looked fine.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Now see here, i though putting both things in the game and letting the player decide was one of the main fetures of TA. In fact, i think it was stated as much in PC gamer (woo PC Gamer) and that what makes it great! So you can put both in, or else i will raise HELL. ALso thier are Three camps. Thier Camp (Dithering), Their Camp (Fogish thing/line) and MY camp (That uber cool static effect). So if you missed my idea, go back and look for it casue it ROCKS! 8)

Return to “General Discussion”