Simplification of Resource Management - Page 2

Simplification of Resource Management

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

wha?!?! nobody runs out of resources on TA, bertha vulcan nuke silo or whatnot, nanostall is like the ultimate heresy!

Besides what about buildtime? Build speed? Nothing is as simple as the cost of a building/unit
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

i never ran out of any resources. either way in ta it tells u how much it costs to build stuff.
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

Are you kidding? Unless you're a noobie, you should have 0 metal at all times. Otherwise, you're not building enough.

My personal record is -600 metal use, +400 metal income, and +120k energy. It was a LOT of fusions and farks. The good news: I created a torrential downpour of fidos that walked through my friend's Doomsday wall like a hot knife through butter.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

8 posts in 4 minutes?!?!?! Slow down!!!!!!!
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

there is so much to respond to i must keep going, its the only way :shock:
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Well you must have a heck of a stamina, I havent had to post so quickly to respond for god knows how long for fear you might reply while I'm typing
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

if u ask me there should be more resources to collect. and they should be more strategical, like one cant build any nuke without any uranium for example. certaion units should have ammunition levels (maybe for heavy missile launchine units). they can be resupplied with transport/cargo planes. they will have a slower rate of fire but to add a twist they should also have there power increased. certainly would make it more of a rts rather then tank rash
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Well for one, most weaponry in TA is energy based, and ammo is constructed by nanites/nanolathes if you wanna get technical.

Uranium for Nukes? You dont need radioactive substances to generate nuclear blasts if you can apply enough heat and pressure anythign will explode in a nuclear fashion. xept the more complex the material the harder it becomes. Besides they're advanced enough to generate their own heavy elements therefore all they need is the energy to transmute metal, or possibly generate it from energy using metal maker technology. I get th feeling you havent played TA recently, go have a quick game then post back
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

i get the feeling u r waaayyyy tooo much into it. if they have so much tech why fight on the planet at all, why not blast them from space, and why use chemical based missile engines when super dooper alternatives are about. the whole point of what iam suggesting is to make more fun to play not to blindly follow the story, i mean 4000 year war across the galaxy :roll: few nukes here and there any the whole thing would end in a month, and thats a scientific fact :wink:
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Actually no, galactic gates are much more cost efficient than huge gigantic space ships that travel FTL, besides the obvious barrier of lightspeed and the need for billions of onboard solars and fusios to generate th necessary energy for warp tehcnology.

And have you not seen online TA games? They either space their base out so that nukes have minimal damage or build antinuke silos/units all over the place.

And any spaceyards on ground or launch sites wouldnt last long enough to be used. And orbital bombardiers would be destroyed by nukes.
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

well i dont know star trek seems to be able to warp travel easy. i mean its all fiction so i right just as u r right too
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Actually star trek can warp just as easily as we can but startrek as the necessary energy production todo so. We dont all have anti-matter matter reaction cores/Warp cores to power our FTL engines
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Ummm, last time i checked this was TA Spring... Not Star Trek Spring. There difgferent fictions. They both have there laws and facts and you cant just say well it happens in this one. If they just orbitaly bombarded the ground youd have a very borring real time stratagy, so when they made up the fictional back story and history, they made it so that there were not spaceships but galactic gates. Simple.

aNome
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

and hence we can add this ammo thing to make it a more intresting game :shock:
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

ammo is micromanagement, maybe for some mods someone makes and thinks it'll be good for ammo, btu there's already the system by which nukes antinukes and the odd 3rd party unti uses to internally build ammo. I want to send cotninuos streams of units to my enemy, If I ahve to provide Ammo refills along the way it's going to slow down considerably, making th entire strategy ineffective, allowign thm to just kill ym units when they run otu fo ammo
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

u strike deep
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Do you play warhammer as well as watch star trek? Look, TA was a almost perfectly balanced game. It was a serial blend of just enoth micro managment to make you think, and plenty of big stompy machines that were fun to kill with/ get kill by. Adding in that sort of hunt for uranium would just make the game totaly different. In sted of just building a few collectors here and a metal extractor ther youd have the hassle of searching out uranium deposits and mining them and deffending them aswell, and what if your enamy struck lucky and found both the deposits on the map and you did't. He'd have a hugly unfair advantage.

Uranium is just as an example, I know your talking about other ammo types and such to, but i hope you get what im trying to say.

aGong
WillRiker

Post by WillRiker »

i dont like CnC style games. i like more of a simulation then game. like cossacks i loved that coz of the detail of the game. i love having thousands of options and i like a slow game, i like big maps which take more then 10 hours to win. i like micromanagment.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I don't think adding many ressources and having to ressuply ammo would make the game more fun, quite the contrary units needed those would be a pain to use. TA is about having a streamlined economy and control interface allowing you to control several hundreds at once with ease. When I'm hurling hundreds of tanks and kbots toward the enemy base, I don't want to have to ressuply each one by micro-managing cargo planes on the front line.

If you like tons micro-management options, sorry, TA is not the game for you. Go play something else.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

DO NOT ADD MORE RESOURCES!
And if you want units to need to reload, do something this:

They get 12 rockets, can shoot once every second, and get a new rocket once every ten seconds. Then just make it so that building that rocket costs, and is automcatic but can be turned off.

But that would be a job for a mod, not for TA. (Maybe some mainstream units could be made like this. I dunno, they would be kind of cool.)

Return to “General Discussion”