New Units

New Units

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

aGorm

New Units

Post by aGorm »

Hi guys, just a few questions...

1) Does anyone know if you can change the unit type in a script? IE, Have a unit that counts as a boat but at the press of a button becomes a plane? (so that it can move about on water like a ship, insted of landing under it...)

2) In the New Unit Format will you be able to have semless modles that deform with a skelington? So That more organic things can be made, like animals and such without them looking blocky?

Thanks

aGorm
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

1) Not in OTA, But possibly in Spring.
2) U really think they would go to all the trouble of upgrading the unit models then make em all look all mechanical?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

No sorry i think i lost you on 2)

If you look in TA the modles are built of bits... but if you look in say a FPS (unreal torny for example) people are made of one large moddle that deforms with a skellington. I ment would you have the option to use both, and for preference at the same time?

aGorm
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

doubt it. Them models are hard to create. Most people modding UT and related games, inc. Q3. use preset bodies and then add thier own textures to them........

Spring isdesigned for OTA/XTA style play............. That means big blocy units. If ya want infantry, say they r in space suits :P
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

You get moddles liek that in Warcraft 3 and in Dawn of War. What would be teh prob here?

aGorm
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

I can't see why they shouldn't be able to implement basic skeletons, just have certain vertexes move releative to each joint, although there may bo more to this than I can see.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Going to get into those issues in detail in the next post about NUF. Been busy working on my mod the last couple of days :)
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Mechanical, non organic units....

- ***OR*** -

6 months to a year extra dev time.

Hmm... a real brain-teaser.... Can I get back to you on that?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Remember the FPS element of Spring and the fact that some people will want to port other games to the spring engine. Skeleton with a G? I know you have spellign probs aGorm btu thats just mad 'skelington' yikes
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

It's not my fault i cant spell, I dont use that word very much.

aGorm
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Regarding this discussion, consider why is the OTA still playable!

With all those years of life, OTA still looks somewhat good because all of it's units are robotic.

No other game of that age looks minimally good having organic units. Not even the 2D ones much less the 3D ones (are there any?).

Ofcourse that only aplies to TA and not to other kinds of game that will eventually be played in Spring.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I didn't want this feature for TA! I wanted it in the spring engin for when i make my own game bassed on the engin. (Free game obviosly... and only if i get time...)

It was gonna have people but, well check starwars TA the men are a bit blocky in there looks... However if we wont be able to have moddles like this ill have to make do...

aGorm

Return to “General Discussion”