Falling trees look weird

Falling trees look weird

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Gabba

Falling trees look weird

Post by Gabba »

Looking at the two videos with the falling trees, I really didn't like seeing them fall when a unit barely touches them. Besides, they shouldn't fall because of a peewee, which is smaller than them!

Suggestions:
- reduce (a lot) the collision radius.
- make the collision and falling speed of the tree look right (hard to explain: C&C Generals had it about right)
- most units should go right through the forest, but with a slowdown; even if they go through a tree model it's ok, you can make it look right - see how see Ground Control II does it.
- huge footprint units would crush trees - at least in a dense forested area, because that would basically be the only way for them to go through.

What about crushing/pushing small rocks and wreckage? (There will be wreckage in Spring, right?)
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

pewee too small ??? think a real tank in real life... they can put tree of misery why cant peewee ?

but u got good points there and some of them propably will be done...
i personally wanna see tanks "pushing" wreckages and rocks but kbots couldnt "push" they should walk over <<< walking over wreckages cant look good.
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

Do we know whether trees automatically fall when you try to build a factory on top of them? Sort of like CC Generals. That would be really nice, since it was a pain to suck them up individually when building in OTA.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

the unit your ordering to do it should automatically reclaim them.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The problem with treees falling in spring is they just fall into the ground and dissapear. In generals at least you saw the tank run over them and leave them flattened behind
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Im sure they will neaten it up. It was just a demonstration of the new feature. No one said its all done.

aGorm
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

Alantai Firestar wrote:The problem with treees falling in spring is they just fall into the ground and dissapear. In generals at least you saw the tank run over them and leave them flattened behind
Right. Actually, it would be useful if even crushed trees could be reclaimed (for less energy). Likewise, crushed rocks should turn into reclaimable rubble.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

If it could be done like in Generals or Ground Control 2 that would rule, as it is shown in the videos now it appears more like invisible nanobots eating up the trees before anything hits them leaving no trace whatsoever..perhaps a bit more realism with trees would improve gameplay a lot.
maverick256

Post by maverick256 »

argh. More trees. When will it stop?
By the way, I don't think how trees fall will really change the game play at all. More like, eye candy.
Archangel of Death

Post by Archangel of Death »

Then imagine a a small swarm of enemy Jeffys zipping through that patch of trees you were saving to reclaim for later early in your game... Trees falling will bring about significant strategy changes.

(Personally, I think that was added with Alantai in mind... but thats just me)
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

No No No, It was with me in mind. Or to be presis to show that they hated trees as much as Alantai did, and to show me what they think of my punny trees...

aGorm
maverick256

Post by maverick256 »

I really don't think trees give much energy anyways..... :-P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Could I have my honourary title reclaimed as tree smasher? and not rabid tree smasher if you get any ideas about that.

Return to “General Discussion”