Semi-aeronautical units

Semi-aeronautical units

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

agentdz015

Semi-aeronautical units

Post by agentdz015 »

Ok ├óÔé¼ÔÇ£ here's a unit idea. Everyone is familiar with amphibious units ├óÔé¼ÔÇ£ units that are basically ground units, but also have limited abilities on or under the water. What about semi-aeronautical units? Units that have limited ability in the air?

Think of a turkey ├óÔé¼ÔÇ£ it walks, but can also fly short distances.

Imagine this applied to, for instance, a mobile heavy cannon. It could fire when on the ground, it could walk, but also, if it encountered a wall (for instance) it could hop over it. (literally hop, or pop out a set of helicopter blades ├óÔé¼ÔÇ£ it's not important... the point is the functionality...)

Other takes on the idea...

-- A crawling bomb that can, on it's final approach to the enemy, can leap into the air and dive bomb it's target. If it misses, it still blows up ├óÔé¼ÔÇ£ that way you can't just hop all over the map to move faster, but it would be able to close the final distance faster... this could also work for a new kind of land mine.

-- A turret type defense that CANNOT move normally across the ground, but can (for short distances, slowly, with a high energy cost, increased vulnerability and no ability to fire while in flight, and with a relatively long recuperation time between hops) take flight to adjust where it is mounted. This could make an interesting siege type weapon.

In any case ├óÔé¼ÔÇ£ I'm sure the idea could go in different directions ├óÔé¼ÔÇ£ but I think it's an interesting train of thought.

Feedback?
Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

Sounds good.
BoredJoe

Post by BoredJoe »

are you drunk?
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

Jump jets!

This seems like it would be hard to program though. Especially if they'd use it on their own without specific instruction
FolCan

Post by FolCan »

I bet it would be useful for the ppl making the Battle tech mod
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I want the jumpsuits from Starship Troopers the book. The one's that can jump, have fifteen different guns on each arm, and can pretty much destroy pretty much...anything in their path!

Nukes away!
mongus

Post by mongus »

kurota.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

ooooohhhh. harsh. but fair!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Annual topic rotation

Anyone remember the link to the cocnept image of the jumping unit I posted?
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

sort of on topic, it'd be awesome to have bouncing betty type mines
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Machiosabre wrote:sort of on topic, it'd be awesome to have bouncing betty type mines
We have experimented with this for A&A, without acceptable success. :(
Abe Xedinski

Post by Abe Xedinski »

This is a bit off topic, but what about subterran units? like the NOD APC in Tiberian Sun?
Soulless1

Post by Soulless1 »

Abe Xedinski wrote:This is a bit off topic, but what about subterran units? like the NOD APC in Tiberian Sun?
oh *yeah*! That would be awesome
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I posted the weapons tdf to make a boncey mine in the TLL topic, it had interesting results and showed up mainly as an anti lvl1 swarm weapon, having a far smaller impact on lvl 2 unless you surrounded a lvl 2 unit with them in tight rings...

Return to “General Discussion”