Springfiles update : map categorization and search improvements

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Hi,

Since about a week or so ago, I've been making changes to Springfiles and deploying them on the server for testing.

The goal of these changes is to improve the map categorization and searching features that have been chronically broken or were lost when migrating from the old springfiles.

- main view has a new "filter" button and shows the map categories differently
Note the number of distinct maps (not files - each map can have several files) is shown next to each category for a better overview.
sf_changes1.jpg
(In this screenshot only the size-categories have been assigned to the maps)

- drastically increased the search result limits to allow thousands of games, maps etc.
- the number of result items shown simultaneously increases by 60 every time the "more.." button is clicked
- added option to search map by size
- fixed option to search maps by keywords (they correspond to the "map categories" shown on the main view)
- added option to show only the latest version of each map (works for those cases where the map name prefix is consistent)
sf_changes3.jpg
- the details view shows author, map size and other relevant properties
sf_changes2.jpg

The map categories or keywords are set separately from the file upload and are made to match the map name prefix. I've added a wiki page that contains a csv list of map name and keywords which can be processed automatically by a script on the server. Newer uploaded versions that match the same map name prefix inherit the same keywords.

https://springrts.com/wiki/MapKeywords

Is the current list of keywords for maps good enough?
They're similar to the options available on BAR or ZK web sites but not exactly the same.

I've assigned the size keywords automatically using db queries, but plan to add the other ones manually so it'd be nice to get some feedback before doing the work ;)

EDIT : PR here
Last edited by raaar on 21 Jun 2022, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
Zow

Re: Springfiles update : map categorization and search improvements

Post by Zow »

Cheers. This should make dealing with older infrastructure much better, looking forward to future improvements.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

Thanks raaar, SF has been in sore need of improvement. One thing I've been hoping to return is ability to search widgets? Pretty sure old SF UI supported them.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

How were the widgets packaged?

just a lua file, or a "game-like" package (with luaui/widgets luaui/images, etc.)?
BlueFrostz

Post by BlueFrostz »

Is there a way to search my map dimensions specifically? Input what you want and all those come up. I only say cause im looking back for old maps that were played alot, but only remeber by size and ‘minimap look’ forget all the names. I believe was lua/widget
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Yes, there are two ways to filter maps by size:
- you can use the size-related categories by clicking the corresponding link
map_size_categories.jpg
- click the filter button on the top-right to show the map filter, which allows you to specify min/max width and height
map_size_filter.jpg
note, the size-related filter parameters only appear after you've selected the "map" spring category
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

raaar wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 21:00 How were the widgets packaged?

just a lua file, or a "game-like" package (with luaui/widgets luaui/images, etc.)?
I think it was just the lua file? It's been quite a while, not sure. Maybe even varied depending on the widget

Return to “General Discussion”