where do i start?

where do i start?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

shnorb

where do i start?

Post by shnorb »

hey all,
about a year ago i promised myself that once i finished school and had come back from my overseas travels i would commit myself to adding something feasible to the taspring project. so i think its time i did so.
im mainly interested in the programming side of things, but havent a clue as to where i should start and what i should learn... so... urm... yeah... :roll:
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

Once you can finish the following sections of the tutorial
# Beginner tutorials

* C++ Made Easy
* C Made Easy

# Advanced Language Features and Concepts

* Tutorials on advanced C and C++ features
* C++ Standard Template Library (STL) tutorial
* Understanding Floating Point Numbers
* Remote Procedure Calls

come back, and I will light the next step of your dark path.

Go forth apprentice, and learn! :P
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

appreciated!
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Maybe you could learn to program in Python and help coding the multiplatform lobby client that Ace07 is working on (he seems to be full with school and stuff).

Python is easy to learn and you could start programing really soon.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

PauloMorfeo wrote:Maybe you could learn to program in Python and help coding the multiplatform lobby client that Ace07 is working on (he seems to be full with school and stuff).

Python is easy to learn and you could start programing really soon.
I was also about to suggest Python! :)

http://www.python.org

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/se10
:wink:
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

well python does look alot easier... so me being the lazy bastard i am... :-)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You should signup for the mailing list, and I think you're best doing c++ for now, especialyl sicne thats what all the AI's are coded in, and what the engien itself is coded in...
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Learn the principles, then learn the syntax!
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Yes we desperately need beginners trying to get their badly designed code into spring :/
Not that I'm saying not to contribute, but aiming to contribute to spring.exe itself while learning C++ is really not a good thing. It is much more appreciated and rewarding for you to make tools or external programs such as a working portable lobby in linux, which gives you more freedom to learn as well.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Zaphod wrote:Yes we desperately need beginners trying to get their badly designed code into spring :/
Not that I'm saying not to contribute, but aiming to contribute to spring.exe itself while learning C++ is really not a good thing. It is much more appreciated and rewarding for you to make tools or external programs such as a working portable lobby in linux, which gives you more freedom to learn as well.
leetism ftw.

How about suggesting that the beginner asks someone with programming experience to review the code before doing whatever they'd do to get it into Spring itself? That way, we get more people contributing, at whatever level they are able to, but we don't get any "badly designed code" submitted or whatever.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Flat-out, a beginner is going to be able to contribue very little. However, just getting their feet wet in Spring gives people experience- heck, everyone had to start soemwhere right?

Comeon Zaphod mate, even you didnt pop out of the womb with the C++ STLs imprinted onto your cortex :P
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

whatever i do im sure ill only be screwing around with things for my own entertainment until i really get the hang of things, which (if it ever happens!) shouldnt be anytime soon...

Return to “General Discussion”