TA Spring - New logo & Site design, updated again!

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Wich logo is the best?

From first row?
51%
From second row?
3%
From third row?
46%

Total votes: 37

moth3r

Post by moth3r »

Hi, my name is Ivan ├à┬áantić and I am from MOTH3R (http://www.moth3r.net) design studio from Croatia. While playing Your game, I have noticed many problems concerning graphic representation. I believe, concerning game's great engine and potenetial, and the fact that there is no similar strategy, it is a true shame that the game has not been presented in the best possible way. Due to those reasons and non-comercial nature of the project, I've created 3 general logotype solutions for game's logo. If Spring team accepts these solutions as satisfying, I'd like You to give me credit by publishing my url or something similiar, and more active role in team's development of the game, having in mind my profession.

*UPDATE* It seems that sun You all so love is rising over and over again ;)

I know long post but i can't help it.
Last edited by moth3r on 16 Mar 2006, 22:03, edited 5 times in total.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Those logo look cool.
If youre logo are used, you will of course be credited.
and more active role in team's development of the game
The more you contribute, the more active role you will have during the developpement.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I like all 3, i think they should all be used, and that this is a much better logo presentation than the rabble that came before it

*oh I can only presume aGorm will post in this followed by someone trying to peddle neuralizes artwork project, and finally a link tot he current logo*

I think all 3 logos should be used mixed together in different situations, as they're similar enough but sometimes one logo would better suit the context than another. They're flexible enough to be used anywhere regardless of colour or size, and they're nice and simple.

And I know someone is gonna ask what the unit at the bottom is, so lets keep it ambiguous, no calls to replace ti with a peewee or a krogoth etc....
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

yeah... they all look cool... but I don't really like any of them better then the one we have... I think if you could make something more based on the current "sun" look... i would like them better... meanwhile any artistic interest is awsome... keep up the good work... I'm not the only person with an opinion.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The sun look will only go so far, though I think rather that a 4th variant be added to the mix based on the sun logo but in style of the other, whereas a simple variant of the sun would be no more successful as a new logo than aGorms replacement of XTA, which I still think is better than the current logo.

@moth3r: perhaps you could collaborate with the site redesign when it gets underway to fit in with this logo and vice versa?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Well im not fussed, there all quite cool, sort of stuff I was doing (well, prob a bit better :-) ) but the problem is that the SY's are unlikly to change there logo, they like it to much. They said they wanted somthing realy simple, and thats what they chose.

I still hold taht neuralizes are way to complicated in genral to be used, mine probablie were to in hindsight. I expect these are to though...

However... Its nice to see someone else that can design around here :-) and I love the robot.

aGorm

*your right AF... I will post. Now... 3 more befor neuralizes i rekon.
moth3r

Post by moth3r »

AF wrote:I like all 3, i think they should all be used, and that this is a much better logo presentation than the rabble that came before it

*oh I can only presume aGorm will post in this followed by someone trying to peddle neuralizes artwork project, and finally a link tot he current logo*

I think all 3 logos should be used mixed together in different situations, as they're similar enough but sometimes one logo would better suit the context than another. They're flexible enough to be used anywhere regardless of colour or size, and they're nice and simple.

And I know someone is gonna ask what the unit at the bottom is, so lets keep it ambiguous, no calls to replace ti with a peewee or a krogoth etc....
I do design for a living and because of that i rather early learned importance of functional & flexible artworks on all sorts of media.

If You like all logos so much then.. each one can represent Single, Multyplayer game etc. Third one on example can represent "lobby". Doing the logos, besides of TA i was inspired with design that Relic did on Homeworld.

Another question not directly connected to this thread is GUI. Maybe would be nice to see unites represented in GUI without textures only by flat, shader models. Than you can have them all in particular style or color so general look will be clean & unified. On that way they will represent a 3d blueprint of what you can build in factory or by bot, commander. This is completly compatible with design that Relic used when they were making concept art, gui for Homeworld. Anima style.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

...This isnt homeworld....

:-) but yhe, homeworld does look nice I'll admit.

aGorm
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

I like the Spring logo as it is right now, You don't really need much of anything of an identifier for the game; Spring is Spring, 'nuff said.
Having said that, I dislike logo 3 the most because it is a bit too defined (whatever it is, it's still definitely some sort of mecha or suit or something along those lines), Spring is an engine, not a game (XTA, AA, SWS, WD, etc. are games). I'm not crazy about the Jolly Roger (skull and crossbones) motif in logo 2. I don't especially like logo 1, but I see nothing wrong with it.
Also: a new logo for Spring is something that you should go to the devs about (SY? Zaphod?), this is their project.
Moth3r wrote:If Spring team accepts these solutions as satisfying, I'd like You to give me credit by publishing my url or something similiar, and more active role in team's development of the game, having in mind my profession.
Does this conflict in some way with the GNU GPL nature of Spring? I don't think it's good to accept things with strings attached, innocuous or not.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

It wasnt just used in homeworld, but combiend with a good CEGUI skin it'll look amazing in the new GUI, nm as it currently is.

I always found enuralizes work wasnt godo for a logo. It was alright, for an art project but not to represent the spring project, more like fanart than logo art.

I'll see if I can shove this in the mailing list and see what the currnt devs feel about it, afterall the decision maker for this is no logner an SY but Zaphod and the linux devs.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Think your mistaken mate, the SY's still run this show as far as identity goes, the Devs are just devs. Its still the SY's project.

aGorm
moth3r

Post by moth3r »

aGorm wrote:...This isnt homeworld....

:-) but yhe, homeworld does look nice I'll admit.

aGorm
Yeah, it's not.. supreme commander it is not either but screenshots and artwork from this game are telling me there are lot of similar things in common.. they both borrowed lot from anima genre.. Look especially on colors they are using.. color pallete is bright and rich.

From what i saw on http://pc.ign.com/articles/695/695946p2.html , lot of big things is going on. Now is good time for TA to evolve on next level. It is free but why not make TA look as commercial product or brand. In marketing and industry a lot of effort is putt on looks.. especiallay on product finish. So my next move will be in this direction if springs team is interested of course.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

those are so ugly they make me cry ;.;
the thing someone did earlier was good enough to stick on a game box. if nething use that ~,~
moth3r

Post by moth3r »

AF wrote:The sun look will only go so far, though I think rather that a 4th variant be added to the mix based on the sun logo but in style of the other, whereas a simple variant of the sun would be no more successful as a new logo than aGorms replacement of XTA, which I still think is better than the current logo.

@moth3r: perhaps you could collaborate with the site redesign when it gets underway to fit in with this logo and vice versa?
It is not problem to me or some programmers from moth3r team to collaborate site redesign. My way in doing this will be simple.. header must express 2 things clearly.. Project as brand and engine as technology. It must have logo wich represents brand and engine is represented by aerial panorama photo with lotsa lotsa units from the engine (like in LOTR trailer ) . It has to look epic from my point of view because this is TA Spring.

From functional view this site is ok.. only color scheme has to follow standards from "corporate design manual" :)
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Does this conflict in some way with the GNU GPL nature of Spring? I don't think it's good to accept things with strings attached, innocuous or not.
I can´t be sure of course, but I guess he didnt mean it the way you understood it (I interpreted it the way you thought as first as well).

moth3r, your definatly right with saying Spring should look more "professional" or polished. However this doesn´t necessarily mean changing the loge :D . There are a lot of things you don´t need to ask the devs about.
I don´t know what exactly what your capabilitys are, but there are quite a few things we could use a good artist for, for which you don´t necessarily need to "ask the devs" . The engine and most of the content is open source, so there´s nobody to stop you changing / adding things :D .

P.S. I´d be happy to see you around the wiki, most of it is pretty ugly at the moment. If you know your way around wikis, you could have a go at setting up a front page here
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

Well, I like the first row way more than the current logo; I think it would make the game seem way more professional.

But it should say Spring or Spring RTS, not TA spring, because we want to seem like an engine that happens to run TA content, not a TA remake.
moth3r

Post by moth3r »

Lindir The Green wrote:Well, I like the first row way more than the current logo; I think it would make the game seem way more professional.

But it should say Spring or Spring RTS, not TA spring, because we want to seem like an engine that happens to run TA content, not a TA remake.
Now i realise that... but i dont realise why so many peple insists on using "Spring" name besides of tradition when "Spring" from my point of view does not recreate a vision of "Total destruction" as association "total annihilation" did? Consider that as a question not a critique. If u ask me i dont look on spring as TA remake when it's not... i saw too many things implanted from scratch and not seen before.
mother

Post by mother »

Wow Awkward :|
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

No offense but I like the original one - it wins hands down!
Android_X

Post by Android_X »

IMHO I didn't really like any, the current logo looks better. This is mainly because of the colours used. But if I had to choose I'd choose the robot.

With the new GUI being made, talk of logos and talk of redesigning the website, shouldn't a colour scheme and over all theme standard be set?

Return to “General Discussion”