Connection speed test and ping

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Sometimes there is some modem users, or some other kind slow connection users. So i think it would be good to add some speed test button in the lobby.
When you do the speed test, it saves the result, and it is always shown in the game room. So we can kick modem users from the "5v5" battlerooms, etc.
The speed test would test the upload and download speeds.

Example of download speed test: http://kuivuri.pp.htv.fi/speed/

Another idea is that we could see each player ping value.
Ping is the most common reason which makes games lag.

Oh, and memory amount would be also good to shown, as in original TA battle room.
Bhaal

Post by Bhaal »

a benchmark would be better to stop people slowing down the game^^
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Yeah, that is also very good suggestion, but we still need the connection speed test. Some fast CPU can still have slow connection, OR really bad ping.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

The ping show before the game is tenth times better than the connexion speed.
You can have a pretty good connexion, and lag....and I'm sure most of the time, that's not the 56k users who made the game lag, but the owner of a 2mbit who have download/p2p launched.

And about CPU power, I've got an 1,8 ghz but I offen have less CPU hit than people with 3ghz. (Yohan 1,8ghz vs celeron 3ghz ...)
And sometimes, people choose setting too high for their computer, so a benchmark wich just said "decrease setting/it's ok" would be good.

p.s sorry, I'm a bit in a hurry, and I throw idea
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

Torrasque wrote:The ping show before the game is tenth times better than the connexion speed.
You can have a pretty good connexion, and lag....and I'm sure most of the time, that's not the 56k users who made the game lag, but the owner of a 2mbit who have download/p2p launched.

And about CPU power, I've got an 1,8 ghz but I offen have less CPU hit than people with 3ghz. (Yohan 1,8ghz vs celeron 3ghz ...)
And sometimes, people choose setting too high for their computer, so a benchmark wich just said "decrease setting/it's ok" would be good.

I would have to agree with Torrasque, it is not (in my experience anyway, it may very well be different for other people) any one 'profile' of Springers that have this problem
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

Torrasque wrote:The ping show before the game is tenth times better than the connexion speed.

torrasque i think ur right on the money, for instance having a 3.0Ghz and 512RAM and a regular graphic card using shadows ,detailed sky and reflective water on a 5v5 in a big map is just non sense however there are lots of ppl who do this such as other things of the kind.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Connection speed plays a big part. For example, if a 56ker is hosting a cable user, then there is lag when giving orders.

56k pipe simply isn't big enough in large games.

Return to “General Discussion”