FOSDEM 2020 - Game Dev Room - Page 2

FOSDEM 2020 - Game Dev Room

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: FOSDEM 2020 - Game Dev Room

Post by Forboding Angel »

My only concern about #2 would be the context. ZK had an army of people behind it comparitively. At the time Evo was mostly just me with some people helping me in their spare time with odd bits (Knorke donated a few gadgets, smoth helped with some gadgets and fix some issues, Google helped with UI chili stuffs) and there are others (Like Kaiser designing Legos), but for the most part it was only me as the one actually doing the work to make the game, getting help where and when I could.

Evo had a fairly buggy lobby client (SWL pre-reactjs), ZK had Chobby and ZK Lobby as a backup. Evo also had the misfortune of being featured by steam itself on the front page, which while I appreciate the fist bump, ultimately fucked things pretty hard.

Anyway, I'm leaving a lot out, but I'm pointing out that the two should not be compared because the situations were vastly different and 3 or so years apart.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

It's not a comparison in any way, just the chain of events. The story of Evo's release had immense effect on the community, the development of the engine and the development of Zero-K.

In many ways, the real misfortune of Evo was the fact that it was the first.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I remember those over 9000 people, while the infra flailed, and Forb was at work. Therefore keep watch, ye who where on greenlight, because you do not know the day or the hour.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

hokomoko wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 06:16 It's not a comparison in any way, just the chain of events. The story of Evo's release had immense effect on the community, the development of the engine and the development of Zero-K.

In many ways, the real misfortune of Evo was the fact that it was the first.
In that case, I vote #2, because I never heard any perspective of the engine dev side of things.
StanleySweet

Post by StanleySweet »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for everyone that registered so far and the ones who took part in that conversation. For those who missed the deadline, late submissions are accepted until the 14th of December. If you are interested, please head to https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM20 to submit your talk!

Best regards,

Stan`
StanleySweet

Post by StanleySweet »

Currently we only have 9 submissions so around 4h30 minutes of talk. if you are interested, there is still time to submit a talk.

Return to “General Discussion”