Re: Autohosts operating non-downloadable engines - Page 5

Re: Autohosts operating non-downloadable engines

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

ivand wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 19:32
ThinkSome wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 07:44 Are you saying that all of your 2000+ (or how ever many you have) users in your discord channel collaborate and build spring games? That's a lot of developers!
I said what I said: It's written in a simple, international English. Everyone can read it and witness I never said what you imply I said. Moreover saying something like the quoted would sound totally stupid.

In reality around one out of 10 lurkers gives their newcomers feedback. And it's already awesome: you get 200-300 extra fresh perspectives.
We also have at least a dozen of people never had seen before joining and collaborating on the game, UI, language, web site, etc and bringing real measurable value.

You are welcome to see how it works, if you choose to leave your cave.
I see that you view Matrix and other modern FOSS communication technologies as "caveman" technologies.

In reality, the same statement about 1/10 lurkers is also true on IRC, it's also true on Matrix and will probably also be true on all other chat mediums. No need to use proprietary software to have lurkers. If anything, IRC has less lurkers as it's harder to stay connected. FOSS technologies will also outlive all your "non-caveman" ones.

The s44 lobby room is also bridged to Matrix. The reason for less users is probably due to lack of advertising. There's is really no one among us who knows how to effectively advertise.
ivand

Post by ivand »

ThinkSome wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 11:06 I see that you view Matrix and other modern FOSS communication technologies as "caveman" technologies.
I see that you again put words in my mouth. Isn't it convenient: when you have nothing to say - go say some non-sense, attribute it to someone else and then explain how nonsensical it's.

What I meant by "cave" is the fact that currently Discord is 100x time more populated and active than any alternative you mentioned and thus aforementioned ratio of 10:1 yield is much bigger numerically. When your comm media has like half a dozen users it's just impossible to enjoy the scale of big numbers, the snowballing/networking effect. etc.

All in all, I believe we understood each other standing on the matter. I have nothing more to say on that.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

ivand wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 11:59
Then simply say that it is popular. Don't say "leave your cave" as it implies that everything else is caveman technology.

I recognise that Discord has great potential as a channel for promoting games, but I don't want everything to move there. Development should still be done on an open medium.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

ThinkSome wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 12:24 Then simply say that it is popular. Don't say "leave your cave" as it implies that everything else is caveman technology.
I don't read "caveman technology" when I read this. "Leave your cave" indicates "come join society". Or, "stop isolating yourself and feeling good about it". Holding a community back over some moral highground isn't progress. Reality is a lot more nuanced than "FOSS good, proprietary bad".

EDIT: Re-reading your post I realise I've misinterpreted your position, and you're not overall anti-discord. I agree that dev discussions are usually best on forums. I would argue that Discord is more open, practically speaking, in the sense that more people are present. (It's not great for finding old info and is closed in that sense.)
saturnV

Post by saturnV »

yes, discord very chat much wow. Now back to topic:
ThinkSome wrote: 27 Dec 2020, 06:23Since, evidently, noone has time to write a proper auto-delete script, the easiest solution is to simply delete it. Do that.
Well, we are so dumb! Over a year we have been wondering why nobody adjusted the script or just disabled/deleted it.
Now abma brought up a good point in viewtopic.php?p=596653#p596653 :
Nobody ever made a pull request.
Now there is a pull request to adjust the script: instead of deleting after 120 day it will delete after 9999 days:
https://github.com/spring/spring/pull/5 ... 6e0d9f41a5
(if disc space should become an issue then old builds can be deleted by hand. but in the past the problem was that too few builds were created, which gave us this problem of no downloadable testversion existing. so it seems unlikely at this point)
The deleted files also need to be re-uploaded. raar has posted his backup.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Locked, too much vitriol and too little productive activity.

Autohost owners on 104.0.1+xyz are encouraged to update their hosts to the stable 105 release.

Return to “General Discussion”