Its time to remove the engine restrictions - Page 2

Its time to remove the engine restrictions

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Megatron

Re: Its time to remove the engine restrictions

Post by Megatron »

I still haven't hear a single rational argument for why this ban should remain in place. Some people seems like they're bending over backwards to make excuses for it. It wasn't hurting anyone and the BA community was better off on the official server, before someone handed BA to Mando on a silver platter.

Who was it that made the final decision? Was it SilentWings? I would like to hear from the admin that made the final decision and see what they have to say for themselves. Seems like someone made a decision that has clearly had a negative impact on a sizeable portion of the SpringRTS user-base, the least this individual could do is explain himself and face the scrutiny of the community rather than allowing their sycophants who think they're benefiting to do it for them.

So who banned 103, come out of the shadows and justify your horrible authoritarian decision. If you're too afraid to even try to defend your own decision then you are admitting it was the wrong decision and you're not someone who should be in a position of power.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Or you could just read the announce post like everyone else: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=39277

I'm flattered by your mistaken hopes of my omnipotence, less so by your misplaced capitalizations. Afaik all the engine devs, who together decide(d) what the infra they built/maintain is used for, shared the same decision - so your desire to meet with a single person goes unrequited. I'm afraid you're a bit late to the party but you can read their responses there, and then you can also enjoy viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39689#p591413 again
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

Silentwings, thanks for the link, I am new to the forums. Based on your posts it seems like you played a part in it too, but profess whatever you want. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Silentwings wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 17:45 We're planning to roll out updates to the lobbyserver, starting on Monday.

Older versions weren't hurting anyone, except allegedly the BA community. So disingenuous how these devs act like they made the decision to help the community move past bugs/spamming when all the community wanted was to be able to keep playing the version of the game they enjoy on the official server, regardless of some minor bugs. So much dishonest and false concern for the well-being of the BA community here.

While i disagree with the undemocratic/anti-open-source decision to try to force people onto BA10/104, I wouldn't care that much if it had actually worked. It failed, and now one of the only and biggest trolls of BA has complete control over it. You would think Abma would rethink this horrible decision and rollback the changes, but it seems some people are unable to admit when they've made a mistake.

I call on you Abma to respond and defend your decision. Stop hiding in the shadows, letting sycophants defend your bad decision with specious evidence, and have the courage to face the community you've spurned.

#busted
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Wow - you're getting on my nerves. And that's not as easy to accomplish as you might think.
If you would take the time to browse the forum and read existing threads, you'd have found all the answers to your questions.
Instead you go around calling on people who are not (solely) responsible to defend themselves.
Do you really think you can motivate people to respond to you, if you don't even take the time to read what they have written before?
Put yourself in their position: you go around making accusation without making the effort of informing yourself. How would you react to someone like that?
And please don't answer to this post. Just think about it.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

dansan wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 17:15 Wow - you're getting on my nerves. And that's not as easy to accomplish as you might think.
If you would take the time to browse the forum and read existing threads, you'd have found all the answers to your questions.
Instead you go around calling on people who are not (solely) responsible to defend themselves.
Do you really think you can motivate people to respond to you, if you don't even take the time to read what they have written before?
Put yourself in their position: you go around making accusation without making the effort of informing yourself. How would you react to someone like that?
And please don't answer to this post. Just think about it.
Wow, you're actually making me want to play on Mandos server. Didn't think that was possible. Anyone involved in restricting engine should be ashamed of themselves. I'm not going to waste my time scouring the poorly organized forums to find all the culprits, they should speak up and defend themselves and their authoritarian actions. This is a perfect example of how power corrupts.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

Its become quite obvious that all the culprits of the engine restriction have no concern whatsoever for the SpringRTS user-base. They have no valid arguments for the ban, and rely on myths and exaggerations.

They have discarded the largest segment of it, BA players, like a piece of trash. There are almost no games in the official spring lobby anymore. In a couple years, or less at this rate, it will be a ghost town. Its already a shadow of what it was. I've never seen a group of admins and developers work so hard to destroy their own player-base, just total disregard for the community.

Maybe when the spring lobby is totally dead and they have nobody left to lord over they will realize the error of their dictatorial ways. You people made your bed, now you'll have to lie in it.
PtaQ

Post by PtaQ »

Megatron wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 19:01 I'm not going to waste my time scouring the poorly organized forums to find all the culprits
if so, why do you expect people to waste time on answering you? They have literally given you the answers in the links btw.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I wonder why BA hasnt attract a dev to keep up with spring for years now. Couldnt be the playerbase is hostile and not worth it.. no, its not me who is wrong, its physics who is false. If i cry loud enough, water can flow upwards.

Also, seems Mandos server already causes funs and the urge to yell for "devs", else everybody would be happily playing ever after in "sour-grapeistan"
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

There is really no point in discussing this with you people. My mistake was trying to apply logic/reason and have a rational discussion with people who think it makes sense to ban the most popular mod and alienate the majority of the user-base. That level of insanity simply can't be reasoned with.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

PtaQ wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 20:01
Megatron wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 19:01 I'm not going to waste my time scouring the poorly organized forums to find all the culprits
if so, why do you expect people to waste time on answering you? They have literally given you the answers in the links btw.
Just keep making excuses for them you sycophant. You're obviously just aggrieved that nobody wanted you as BA dev. You/they could have the courage to actually address my points rather than divert and attack me and let their lapdogs bark at me. Their silence on my questions speaks volumes.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

@MagoTron

Exactly. You players are famous for your reason, your calm, distinctive way of communicating and keeping it together in public, to preserve your dignity. Oh look whats over there- EA released a lootbox pre-order seasonpass, with ten minutes of cgi video. IT MUST BE GOOD.

To be honest you are having these discussions mainly with yourself. The devs have better things to do, then reading this emotinal charged drivel. Me, i enjoy pissing of entitled teenagers, who wouldnt touch a programming book if there favourite game depended on it.

Just one line of code, one little proof of willigness to work for what is so "important" for you- thats all i ask.
Mando seems very silent recently- guess the "beeing dev part" changes the perspective.
One more month and he will join the darkside too.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

I am still waiting for someone to explain why its a good thing to have alienated more than half the Spring user-base. I have already dispelled the myths and hyperbole regarding "bugs" and "ddos".

I will take the continued silence as an admission by the perpetrators of the engine ban that it is purely designed to be punitive towards BA community.
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

PicassoCT wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 20:21 @MagoTron

Exactly. You players are famous for your reason, your calm, distinctive way of communicating and keeping it together in public, to preserve your dignity. Oh look whats over there- EA released a lootbox pre-order seasonpass, with ten minutes of cgi video. IT MUST BE GOOD.

To be honest you are having these discussions mainly with yourself. The devs have better things to do, then reading this emotinal charged drivel. Me, i enjoy pissing of entitled teenagers, who wouldnt touch a programming book if there favourite game depended on it.

Just one line of code, one little proof of willigness to work for what is so "important" for you- thats all i ask.
Mando seems very silent recently- guess the "beeing dev part" changes the perspective.
One more month and he will join the darkside too.
All I'm hearing is more petty ad hominem comments. Clearly nobody here has the courage to address any of the points I've made. Its easier to attack someones character than engage in a fact driven discussion.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

We had several of these threads, in the first one some devs presented the reasoning behind the depreciation. The result, you don't get it and start the threat all over. Winning by stupidity and lazyness attrition is not winning. It's just the village idiots having a corner for themselves. Counter question why don't you upgrade your ba? Oh right, you can't, cuase yoa can't.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Counter question why don't you upgrade your ba? Oh right, you can't, cuase yoa can't.
better counter question would be "why don't you play on one of the updated BAs?", but he and others kind of answered: "no players".

The behavior leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy. Megatron, why don't you direct your indignation at the players who refused to compromise instead of the spring admins?
They have discarded the largest segment of it, BA players, like a piece of trash. There are almost no games in the official spring lobby anymore.
They chose to leave. BA players also seem to agressively steer people towards BA and ignore the other games, so from the other devs' point of view it's not a huge loss.

A few of the BA players show up on the newbies channel and gloat about how empty the official server is and redirect new players to Mando's server. That's thrashy.

(the official server isn't even that empty, there are games going on...although there have been troubles with the replay uploads recently)
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

I appreciated being given the opportunity to read this high quality thread thank you
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

PicassoCT wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 21:54 We had several of these threads, in the first one some devs presented the reasoning behind the depreciation. The result, you don't get it and start the threat all over. Winning by stupidity and lazyness attrition is not winning. It's just the village idiots having a corner for themselves. Counter question why don't you upgrade your ba? Oh right, you can't, cuase yoa can't.
This thread is an entirely different topic. This is about dispelling the myths behind their "reasoning" and pointing out that it was an abject failure in their efforts to force BA players onto other mods/version. I have yet to hear any verifiable, fact based, reasons for why the engine restriction is still in place given its profoundly negative effect on the size of the user-base.

I have heard one tired excuse about "bugs" and "ddos" and I have already dispelled those particular myths/hyperbole. I am still waiting to hear the other arguments so I can provide a reasoned, fact based, analysis of why they are wrong.

"Do you consider your position so weak that it cannot withstand debate? " -Data (Star Trek TNG)
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

Attachments
2014-09-19-1062sea.png
(178.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Literally anyone with a text editor and half a brain could update old ba to work on the new engine
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

Peet wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 23:43 Literally anyone with a text editor and half a brain could update old ba to work on the new engine
You are missing the point of this thread, or willfully ignoring it while resorting to ad hominem attacks. Your argument is irrelevant as BA doesn't have any devs. We had a version that worked just fine to satisfy the BA community and it got banned, that is the point of this thread. Moreover, that the rationale for the engine restriction was to force players onto newer version, the actual result was they moved elsewhere.

Telling BA players to "learn to code" only reveals you to be a troll and ignores the actual topic of this thread. We were perfectly happy with the old version and simply want it unbanned so we can play on the official servers again.

Return to “General Discussion”