Community, Respect, etc.

Community, Respect, etc.

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

FoeOfTheBee

Community, Respect, etc.

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

To prevent bad behavior, you have to have negative consequences, that is, punishment. Written guidelines are certainly a good idea, but really, people already know what crosses the line in a lot of cases. So I am not opposed to community guidelines, but what is really necessary is quick, severe punishment.

First 1 month mute and 1 month without posting privileges, then 1 month or permanent account bans, then IP bans for a third offense. I would feel perfectly comfortable with these consequences now, but I can understand why someone would want to have guidelines before breaking out the IP bans.

So I encourage mods to be tougher. There is really no reason to tolerate the recent antics on the forums and in the lobby - it's not like we need these people to buy the game. And there are plenty of players now.

So mute them, ban them and toss them right out of the community. They can go play Starcraft* with the other lamers.

*No offense meant to non-lamer Starcraft fans.
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Everything you say makes sense. I'm all for it. 1 Month ban for anyone who spams more than X number of lines of garbage. (Maybe 10 - 15?) We can easily setup guidelines for people who spam; what other actions do you think deserves a mute/ban?
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

2 weeks time is probably enough time to let someone cool down.
Also, although a lot of people come through like crazy on the Client, I've observed that on the forums, flare-ups seem to be regular, spaced out, and eventually die down. What I'm saying here is that it's just "that time of month" for the forum :P, let it be
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

This forum is full of bannana men and the reign of the cookies shall soon arise if nothing is done.

I'm tired of being singled out and flamed by people, then accused of spamming by the same people who flamed me, then flamed for defending myself or other people. And I'm tired of the people who actively look through the forum for chances to flame.

It's negative and it's a drain on us all, even if we dont read the thread in question.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Mostly you get flamed for your spelling, and that's usually because you make a post that is damn near unreadable.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Just for the sake of being mean and pretending to be helpful...
SwiftSpear wrote:Mostly you get flamed for your spelling, and that's usually because you make a post that is damn near unreadable.
...is an example of something that would have been better to keep to yourself as it only serves to piss people off.

Just like what I'm saying right now, just want to point out what not to do.
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

Well, sa AF si allayys writign shityt, ist hard to undersannt waht the fcuk he wnts to say msot of teh tmie.

And sorry, this has nothing to do with his english skills. Its just that if what he writes isnt worth his time typing it carefully, then its unlikely to be worth being read by anybody.

Maybe reducing the posting rate while increasing the posing quality would be a sensible solution.
mongus

Post by mongus »

I wont support flamming by stupid causes, an to flame bc of the spelling is way stupid.

Exactly you two, swiftspear and Abbel use to post nosense, flames or waaaaaayyy offtopic random stuff.
In my list you deserve the ban or to be flamed with much more merits than most of the regulars of this forum (except dragon45, he makes more merits than you 2 toguether).

Im all for ban people from this forums if they reach the limit.

And i hope admins kick spammers from the lobby as often as needed.
Dead.Rabit

Post by Dead.Rabit »

everything seems to be fine to me.. the problem is that no1 has more right over another... ok sure so there are a few arse holes in spring, but if u ever have a problem

like unsynched etc or game wont load or something and if u post it in the client theres always people to help.

in essence i think there should be 1 person who has absolute power over baning people for short amounts of time. i think this person should be secret so if he catches anyone doing something wrong like innapropriate spamming.

i remember once som1 just randomly sending "dshusudh" to everyone.
and things like annapropriate hosting.. i remember sum1 who got angry with sum1 for commbombing and kicked midgame ... destroying all chances of a fair game for his allies.

what i mean is for an annonymous entitiy to be able to ban people from the cliant for a day if they do something bad or from the forums for a week or 2.

this seems fair to me as if no1 knows who it is. =]

on a side note... i volunteer
mongus

Post by mongus »

Dead.Rabit wrote:this seems fair to me as if no1 knows who it is. =]

on a side note... i volunteer
roflmao :shock:
was that intentionally funny? :P

no need to be that secretive Dead.Rabit, if the ban/kick was unfair, there is allways the rigth to ask for it to be removed, (as someone already did), and also there is nothing wrong with being responsible for being the admin,.. somehow the admins have the support from the most of players/posters.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I don't flame often at all. I don't waste my time sugarcoating my opinions, but being in disagreement with someone is not flaming them. I acctually don't really have anyone that I even feel is worth flaming on these forums, but I've been around long enough to see that the vast majority of flames alanti receives are for poor spelling. It never really even bugged me that much, but I know the poorly written posts drive some people insane.

I don't get this comunity. Why don't people here speak thier opinions like they mean it? There seems to be several thousand built up grudges and little vendettas flying around left right and center. It's like everyone is wearing a face of peace and love for everyone else but they all secretly wish that certian people would just die.

I find it odd that people say that I should be banned for flaming when I honestly can't give you a single name of someone I dislike on these forums. You'd think I would have at least one person I hated if I was flaming constantly. If you don't dislike anyone then who are you flaming?

Personally I gave up flaming AF for his spelling long ago, but every second post he makes seems to bait another spelling nazi. You can only be flamed so many times by so many people before you have to consider that maby it's you that's the problem, and not them. AF Makes alot of relevent and valuable posts on these forums, and is undoubtably one of the more monumental comunity members, but it's still going to drive people nuts when he puts so little time into making coherantly spelled and gramatically structured posts. Back on the old Natural Selection (half life mod) forums there was a rule against flame baiting, and it was considered just as bad a flaming. As far as I'm concerned if you're going to be flame baiting then you need to be willing to deal with the consequences of it when people flame you, be it willing to accept being mutally banned when it becomes a irreversible circle of hate and flame, or being willing reach an agreement that doesn't leave both sides at eachother's necks.

I know I've pissed off poeple in the past, and I've had alot of PM conversations with people here because of it. Seriously, if you have an issue with me, frigging PM me, because I don't have an issue with you and I'm not going to bite your head off because you want to put me into my place. I honestly don't go around trying to anger people here, and I'm not saying things with layers of hidden hostility hidden undernieth my words. I'm the kind of person who just says exactly what they mean and never adds emotional context under it, and I don't pick up when I'm saying things with an emotional tone that might bug someone. My brain just doesn't work that way.

Seriously, please, personal grudges and vendettas are the last thing I've been trying to create here. If you have one lets deal with it together like adults and not start throwing drama bombs in my general direction instead. I'm just gonna not pick up on it and end up pissing you off even more.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

posts should be written like resumes - short and to the point, thats all im gonna say :)
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

nobody like a smart ass - making posts correcting peoples spelling is being a smart ass...
unless you are obvioulsy doing it in jest, which case its ok cos its funny hehe
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Summary:
Having a difference of opinion and stating your opinion is not flaming, even when you are wrong.

I don't flame you intentionally because I honestly don't dislike anyone in this comunity and I don't have a reason to insult you personally.

If you feel I've got something against you or you have something against me PM me. Tossing drama bombs in my general direction is just going to end up hitting people around me and I probably won't notice them anyways. Deal with your issues with me like an adult. Several members of this comunity can attest the fact that if I have a problem with you I won't be going behind your back and pissing in other people's beer and calling it yours, I'll be PMing you and working it out until we reach an agreement one way or another.

[edit] Steve: Normally I would have just posted this in the first place, but apparently people don't want unprocessed opinions and statements, so I spent ages trying to suger coat everything to be as nonoffencive as possible.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

BigSteve wrote:posts should be written like resumes - short and to the point, thats all im gonna say :)
Three word sentances.
SwiftSpears too long.
Still too long.
I am king.
Hail to king. :roll:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Das Bruce wrote:
BigSteve wrote:posts should be written like resumes - short and to the point, thats all im gonna say :)
Three word sentances.
SwiftSpears too long.
Still too long.
I am king.
Bruce is flamer.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Das Bruce wrote:
Three word sentances.
SwiftSpears too long.
Still too long.
I am king.
Bruce is flamer.
Three words good.
SwiftSpear learns quick. :roll:
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Well, wer all see what is happening here, and why.
Das Bruce kicksa in and some pointless posts are made.
Not that it's very upsetting.

It's hard to keep things on topic, and mostly require someong to keep things in order. Note the AA thread lead by Caydr.

And for the rest, I'll just tuirn you to an previous post of mine, which was located slightly at the wrong place, at the wrong time. And it's long:
http://spring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3865
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

Well, about flaming, mongus:

AF and krogeths and cadyr annoyed be simply because of their immense arrogance coupled with incompetence.

Flames go byebye -Moderator

then there is the sudden impulse to just create an opposing pressure.

AF, for example, isnt as obnoxious as he was 6 months ago, which may party be related to him getting shit back. Humility by proxy, as a matter of speaking.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You have a short memory Sabbel, if you remember I would put the tiem into coherent and well structured posts adn perfect spellign and soemtimes I do do a quick skim to churn out the nasty obvious mistakes nowadays, btu I simpyl dont have the tiem to make the perfectly formed posts you want me to make, and given the time I would make them perfectly formed.

Also, an architect cant build a house but he can design it, and design it well. Just as I can design and plan my AI without knowing how to implement it.

And believe me there will be a day where I will have all the thigns I have speculated on and theorized, and all that 'philosophical crap' will be sitting infront of me kicking peoples asses, all I need right now is time to implement everything.

As for caydr, I dont think he ever declared himself king of modding, rather the community see him as a very active person who does a lot and they've built on that to give him the reputation and image he has today.

Eitherway you cant put us down for trying to be creative and wanting feedback.

And I found that first sentence about my spelling hurtful.

Return to “General Discussion”