I miss a main chat channel without bots

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

We used to have a main channel, where all players could talk together, I miss that, a lot.
Silentwings

Re: I miss a main chat channel without bots

Post by Silentwings »

You have #ba, without bots. https://github.com/spring/uberserver/bl ... l.py#L1375

Also, #main was never bot free - if you don't count the period before bots existed on the spring server. Time of death: circa 2011, cause of death: mix of human+bot advertising spam. For the last few years, Springlobby auto-joins users to #newbies, which is bot-free, and users may later choose for themselves whether to stay auto-joined there. We also act to prevent human advertising spam within #newbies.
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

#ba is not joined by default, players needs a general DEFAULT chat channel where all players are.
Silentwings wrote:
#main was never bot free - if you don't count the period before bots existed on the spring server.
#main used to be a discussion channel, at least when we had 200-300 players connected as the same time.

I really dont understand why devs here act like all is great in a perfect world while we never had so few players left?
Maybe some decisions are bad no?
I think it is a BIG DEAL, to not have a default main channel, and I am not alone to think that.
Last edited by triton on 06 Nov 2017, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It is not reasonable to require a channel that is forcibly auto-joined by *all*, some games/communities do not want it.

If BA wishes BA players to chat in #ba, it is ready and waiting. If new functionality server side would help with that, I suggest working out what is wanted and asking for it. (For example: perhaps autohosts with a botflag could be given the option to force-join players to a chosen channel when they enter the autohost.)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

CA spam killed #main

It was cancer before that anyway.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Robophobes!
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

Is it possible to have players auto-join BA channel when they download BA?
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

New players using SpringLobby are all auto-joined to #newbies by default, which is also a bot-free channel.
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

Which is not good enough. All BA players in only one battleroom is mostly because of that, if I had a way to talk in BA chat with ALL BA players, I would have to join the main "dsd" battleroom WAY LESS, like I was doing 10 years ago?
It seems so obvious to me, how cannot you see the truth? Or how can I be wrong so much?
Players who download BA needs to have a BA channel that they cannot close, like official "useless" channel. I think most BA players closed the newbie channel after some time.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Silentwings wrote: If BA wishes BA players to chat in #ba, it is ready and waiting. If new functionality server side would help with that, I suggest working out what is wanted and asking for it. (For example: perhaps autohosts with a botflag could be given the option to force-join players to a chosen channel when they enter the autohost.)
Is there something stopping you working out what you want and then asking (presumably via https://github.com/spring/uberserver/issues, or just talking to host owners) if anyone wants to have/implement whatever functionality you think of?
Players who download BA needs to have a BA channel that they cannot close, like official "useless" channel
Currently, any user can exit any channel, if they choose to do so, either temporarily or permanently. I doubt there would be anything to gain by changing that. (The "official server" tab is a bit useless to non-power-users afaics, but it is not a channel and you cannot chat in it.)

Force-joining users to game specific channels has been done in the past - I remember it getting complained about. I think it was done via a lobby bot with special powers, and game specific lobby clients have certainly done it. Not sure if its currently done anywhere.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

triton wrote:Which is not good enough. All BA players in only one battleroom is mostly because of that, if I had a way to talk in BA chat with ALL BA players, I would have to join the main "dsd" battleroom WAY LESS, like I was doing 10 years ago?
Not a silver bullet, but perhaps a bandaid...

YOu could ask licho on the ZK server to set up a bridge between #ba and BA's Discord "Main" channel. It works really well.

As far as autojoin channels, you could distribute springlobby portable with a springlobby conf that autojoins #ba. Beware, thar be dragons, and dealing with springlobby's conf file is pretty maddening in a lot of cases.
Floris

Post by Floris »

YOu could ask licho on the ZK server to set up a bridge between #ba and BA's Discord "Main" channel. It works really well.
no thanks
Senethril

Post by Senethril »

Imagine the community size increase in term of number of players:

Reune the player in their own langage ll permit to establish certains points permanently to the game system:
-they ll want maybe less reune on private server because they dont dispose commands for configure a game because their level is lower than on official(any other priv community i tried they learn less and play more for fun)
-they ll meet more easily the players without discontinuity because the chat is enough invasive and not permit to remember who is who

-they ll regroup more easily teams instead of stay with minimum mates, the game mode ll certainly increase in exemples types and numbers

-Give them the choice of langage choose they want surely the imposed time of selection for participations open or close permit to garanthee they unicity

Even if they finish by create theyr own community, the only solution to use as far as players is a bot on irc instead on discord which still more free,springlobby mainteners should on its own manage and regule rooms of players auto(langage,admins status are exemple)
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

triton wrote:Which is not good enough. All BA players in only one battleroom is mostly because of that, if I had a way to talk in BA chat with ALL BA players, I would have to join the main "dsd" battleroom WAY LESS, like I was doing 10 years ago?
It seems so obvious to me, how cannot you see the truth? Or how can I be wrong so much?
Players who download BA needs to have a BA channel that they cannot close, like official "useless" channel. I think most BA players closed the newbie channel after some time.
For a while now I have been thinking of setting up my own builders for all OSes as there doesen't seem to be much control over the existing ones. Then I could also provide customised builds for various games that would auto-join their channels and filter out other games in the battlelist.

Another change that may greatly benefit the one-big-room situation is to join battleroom chat with the other chat windows and make it so the chat panel occupies the lower half of SL window no matter which tab (battleroom, battlelist, ...) is selected.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The only time #main was ever worth bothering with was the day I let people spend their cookiebot cookies on weapons to attack eachother
smoth

Post by smoth »

Gl:hf with that. Content dev egos demanded a community split, did it and now the main server is like a dead irc server. Gj!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Agreed, wishing for water doesn't make it rain. Better to have any game going, then have a huge set of ghost towns and happy devs.
TinaNamdev

Post by TinaNamdev »

Is it possible to have players auto-join BA channel when they download BA?
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

Probably technically possible. Most new people auto-join #newbies, though, and I don't see any reason that that isn't enough for now?

Return to “General Discussion”