Should see some new people coming in

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

wizard8873

Post by wizard8873 »

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/in ... opic=64510
found that in the client. looks like spring is growing. yay!
Agiel

Post by Agiel »

I'm afraid another wave of publicity is a bit too early. We're still waiting for the new GUI, map format and a complete linux port. Let's hope the new guys aren't put off right away and miss all the cool stuff 8) .
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

ehh, he stretched the truth a tad bit with "Play with up to 16 players online in 8v8 matches without lag," but hey, that's cool. People really ought to wait for the new GUI before publicizing this though.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

The real wave of players will come when we manage to allow the linux and windows players to play together. That should get us on the front page of slashdot. (and you guys know what that means)
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Decimator wrote:The real wave of players will come when we manage to allow the linux and windows players to play together. That should get us on the front page of slashdot. (and you guys know what that means)
Run for the hills! It's a sign of the Apocalypse!
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

Decimator wrote:The real wave of players will come when we manage to allow the linux and windows players to play together. That should get us on the front page of slashdot. (and you guys know what that means)
Ok, it's been said alot now, and I don't know why noone's seen it yet.

Linux and Windows CAN play online across Wine. It's been said before. Sound just doesn't work.

Can anyone confirm this?
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Ive played vs somone who was playing on Wine. It worked fine.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Likewise, I play with a friend who uses wine all the time. I think running natively is a big deal though, for some reason.

Crazy penguins.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Slamoid wrote:...

Linux and Windows CAN play online across Wine. It's been said before. Sound just doesn't work.

Can anyone confirm this?
Most certainly. I've done that many times.

However,
- It doesn't have any sound. This makes a major diference in my ability to play. I've lost games i would certainly win if i had sound.
- Fonts don't show up correctly, with letters on top of one anothers. Many times i miss what people are saying.
- Most important, it isn't native for Linux. Some people (Microsoft haters, mostly) will not play it like that. It won't make it get shiped with distributions (like Freeciv who is shiped with many Linux distributions). It won't make it get on the news of Happypenguin.org or, possibly, Slashdot. No one, in the huge amount of Open Source programers for Linux, will help coding Spring if it isn't to run natively on Linux.

The funny thing is that, the most problematic thing with multi-platform right now is synching. But it runs synched if through wine but not if running natively. hahaa!
mongus

Post by mongus »

However,
- It doesn't have any sound. This makes a major diference in my ability to play. I've lost games i would certainly win if i had sound.
i play better without sound :? must be something related to attention span or ..

those guys beat us in the "wow cool" "good!!" "dldn" superflous reply thing, thanks we dont have not much of those "great" contributions latelly.

and, someone told once, that crosslinking forums was not good.. mind explaining why?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

PauloMorfeo wrote:
Slamoid wrote:...

Can anyone confirm this?
Most certainly. I've done that many times.

However,
- Fonts don't show up correctly, with letters on top of one anothers. Many times i miss what people are saying.
- Most important, it isn't native for Linux. Some people (Microsoft haters, mostly) will not play it like that. It won't make it get shiped with distributions (like Freeciv who is shiped with many Linux distributions). It won't make it get on the news of Happypenguin.org or, possibly, Slashdot. No one, in the huge amount of Open Source programers for Linux, will help coding Spring if it isn't to run natively on Linux.

The funny thing is that, the most problematic thing with multi-platform right now is synching. But it runs synched if through wine but not if running natively. hahaa!
People who only play games native to lunix are not gamers. The bugs with the wine version are a little more then tolerable from what they sound like, and a little more advertizement would be nice, but TAS' user base will always be a massive windows majority. Spring really doesn't need lunix compatibility. It's getting it because there's people willing to put thier time into working in that direction, our devs want to work with lunix compatible code as much as anything, and thus at some point we're going to have portible spring.
Orbu

Post by Orbu »

You're aware that if Spring is slahsdoted these servers will be overloaded... here will be a complete chaos and for 2-3 days will be no site activities... You better prepare more bittorent seeds.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Well aware, Orbu, but we'll have a lot more players after the firestorm. :P
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Orbu wrote:
You're aware that if Spring is slahsdoted these servers will be overloaded... here will be a complete chaos and for 2-3 days will be no site activities... You better prepare more bittorent seeds.
Odd, I don't recall that happening when it WAS slashdotted.
det

Post by det »

Nemo wrote:Likewise, I play with a friend who uses wine all the time. I think running natively is a big deal though, for some reason.

Crazy penguins.
I have to disagree with your insinuation that a native version is insignificant. I play spring under Wine a lot. There are a number of problems, I will list them.

1) Sound does not work.
2) Text doesn't work properly out of the box.

I was able to fix this issue by installing some Microsoft fonts. Under Debian or Ubuntu there is a package called msttcorefonts that will install these.

3) The real show-stopper for me is that the game gets slower the longer the game plays (and it is not directly proportional to the number of units in play). Eventually the game gets so slow, it is unplayable and I must leave so others can finish. I think it may be related to a memory leak in Wine as Spring under Wine consumes more memory the longer it runs.

A native packaged version would be much nicely integrated into your distrobution as well. I am also sure there is a speed penalty for running under Wine.
munch

Steady Growth

Post by munch »

Spring is growing just fine I think. When I first d/l it less than a year ago I was used to logging in and finding 10-15 people on line - you might get a game if you were lucky. Numbers have been steadily growing since then as word spreads. There was a big jump when Betalord's client was included in the standard build because it's so much nicer than what we had before, other than that it steadily crept up to the 100 user mark a couple of months back. There has either been fast growth or another jump in the last couple of months (whilst I've been away due to too much work): when I logged on the other day, there were 150 people online! That is to say the online user base has grown by a factor of 10 in less than year.

I can see we could easy have 1000 people online in a years time, even without any front page slashdot exposure =)

We probably need to think in terms of splitting a server down into separate rooms, e.g. based on experience level or mod. We're already at the stage now where there are so many games going that you need to scroll to see them all.

Just my tuppence

Munch
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

Im wondering how many ppl can the server take without some hard performance decreasing.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Das Bruce wrote:
Orbu wrote:
Odd, I don't recall that happening when it WAS slashdotted.
If I recall correctly, it was not on the front page. That makes a big difference.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Eitherway for me this site has gotten a heck fo a lot slower the last few weeks, has anybody else noticed? Sometimes pages simply give me errors such as unresponsive or timed out
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

det wrote: Issues with wine.
My apologies, I thougt the issues with Spring under Wine were rather minor - that memory leak is certainly not something you can shrug off and deal with. Here's hoping for multi-OS network support in the not too distant future =)

Return to “General Discussion”