Smurf database access

Smurf database access

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

RebelNode

Smurf database access

Post by RebelNode »

I take breaks from the community every now and then. And then when I return everyone has changed their username 5 times so it feels like I no longer know anyone. Of course it's still the same people, I just don't know who is who.

Do we have any database of username-changes that I could query? I mean, I know there are databases but I don't have access to any of them as far as I know. That is such a shame. I used to feel like I was part of this community, but it's very hard to feel like that anymore when I don't even know who plays the game these days. Why not give everyone access to smurf-queries on whichever bot keeps track of them?
klapmongool

Re: Smurf database access

Post by klapmongool »

Familiar problem indeed. It is easier to feel part of the community if you recognize the people you are playing with. TASclient used to keep track of all the names someone had used. Don't know if it still does. I think Spring replays also used to give all the usernames.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

I get the same problem (although I'm slowly learning who is who). I typically go to the replays site first, but !searchuser <username> then !whois <username> on an autohost tends to also work.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

I know this too :)
The replay site works only for renames of the same account, but not for new accounts. It has no smurf db :/
But most players that I respect keep their old account (if they don't loose them), so it's mostly not an issue.
I think Springlobby keeps track of "friends" with the accountID, so that renames don't matter (you still wonder "who's that, that I have marked as a friend(ly)?" :).

Return to “General Discussion”