What can spring engine/game devs learn from negative reviews of evo rts on steam? - Page 3

What can spring engine/game devs learn from negative reviews of evo rts on steam?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: What can spring engine/game devs learn from negative reviews of evo rts on steam?

Post by Forboding Angel »

The game was finished. Games don't have to be in perpetual development. Many games, once released, are one and done.

You said "Guess how that turned out", as if it were incapable of standing on it's own. That is a revision of history. Don't try to rewrite history.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: What can spring engine/game devs learn from negative reviews of evo rts on steam?

Post by FLOZi »

It was totally broken a few months after release and never fixed. People were still buying it when it couldn't be played afaik.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Forboding Angel wrote:
You said "Guess how that turned out", as if it were incapable of standing on it's own.
No, when I say "Guess how that turned out" I was specifically referring to today current game status. Am I clear enough for you?
Do not put words in my mouth forb.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I didn't, I was trying to interpret what you meant. If you don't want others to infer meaning to what you say, then say what you mean in the first place.

Don't make some vague insinuation and then get butthurt when people guess at your meaning.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

ThinkSome wrote:
hokomoko wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:Nah. Most of the AAA games that I play require me to download tiny updates before I can play. Sc2, war thunder, bf1, pubg, etc. Having to download small updates before you can play is exceedingly common and since it makes for a better product, I'm a-ok with that.
Games of higher calibre than spring games or games that you've paid more for, can allow themselves to put extraneous hurdles on the player.
With an unknown free game, the limit after which you give up, uninstall and go play LoL is much lower.
I truly wonder why some key people here are so against charging money for spring games. In addition to raising the above barrier, it would also give the spring projects funds to properly advertise stuff (i.e. have a feedback loop)
Higher caliber does not equate more expensive. Nowadays there are tons of game of higher caliber than Spring that are free. (Or at least freemium, free week-ends & beta, on sales cheaper than a sandwich). Charging for Spring games in hope that it'll make players stick more would be a risky strategy!
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

zwzsg wrote:
ThinkSome wrote:
hokomoko wrote:Games of higher calibre than spring games or games that you've paid more for, can allow themselves to put extraneous hurdles on the player.
With an unknown free game, the limit after which you give up, uninstall and go play LoL is much lower.
I truly wonder why some key people here are so against charging money for spring games. In addition to raising the above barrier, it would also give the spring projects funds to properly advertise stuff (i.e. have a feedback loop)
Higher caliber does not equate more expensive. Nowadays there are tons of game of higher caliber than Spring that are free. (Or at least freemium, free week-ends & beta, on sales cheaper than a sandwich). Charging for Spring games in hope that it'll make players stick more would be a risky strategy!
Right now none are sticking (to S44), so I'd say its worth a try. For some other game of course, as S44 is permanently handicapped with CC-by-NC.
code_man

Post by code_man »

ThinkSome wrote: Right now none are sticking (to S44), so I'd say its worth a try. For some other game of course, as S44 is permanently handicapped with CC-by-NC.
One could remove all assets where the authors cannot be reached to agree to change the license.

I doubt commercial games would change anything though, for one even if you have money you still have more work finding things to effectively spend it on and another we know how these things turn out.
Not that im against that in principle.

Games are an oversaturated market, even free ones, you cant expect miracles here really.
Even if you advertise to hell its doubtful you get players who can stick.
That isnt to say we shouldnt try a little harder, but not much.
S44 did it and didnt bring much so to speak.
Looking at the cursed for example, its a great game but nobody plays it.
Its on moddb and on lgdb but i hardly ever see anyone take notice of it.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Super Mario wrote:
Google_Frog wrote:]Super Mario what are you intending to contribute?
...Did you not read the rest of my post after you quoted? I already give my thoughts about this, I don't see how that is not contributing. Perhaps elaborating on what you mean by that?
Contributing work.

Return to “General Discussion”