Best AI for 'Air' only maps ?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

mhunt

Post by mhunt »

Hello

I use mainly Balanced Annihilation and would like to know which AI is best to play in a mainly 'air' map (for example Speed Ball Isles 16).

I tried several but no challenge at all, for example KAIK uses primarily ground units so it'll build just that. AAI is not aggressive and other AI like E323AI or RAI don't do anything.

Same problem repeats with any water amp with islands, except that AAI at least does build ships.

Thank you
prandipadaro

Re: Best AI for 'Air' only maps ?

Post by prandipadaro »

ShardLua use air, and water, but targeting sometime have problem
mhunt

Post by mhunt »

Thank you! I'll give it a try with that map.
mhunt

Post by mhunt »

prandipadaro wrote:ShardLua use air, and water, but targeting sometime have problem
it hangs while loading the AI if I choose the 'air' only map (water destroys anything so you can only use air units). Work well on other maps.

Guess I'll try to just block the other factories.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

mhunt wrote:
prandipadaro wrote:ShardLua use air, and water, but targeting sometime have problem
it hangs while loading the AI if I choose the 'air' only map (water destroys anything so you can only use air units). Work well on other maps.

Guess I'll try to just block the other factories.

Can you be more specific about what you mean when it 'hangs'? It could mean any one of these:

- The AI ceases to issue orders
- The AI spams the console with error messages
- The engine crashes
- Unbearable lag freezes the engine
- The game exits to the desktop
- The AI tries to build non-Air things repeatedly, failing each time
- The AI tries to build a naval fleet despite the water damage

Fixing it won't be possible without more information
mhunt

Post by mhunt »

hi, I've been trying other Ais too, it seems to be the only way to have a skirmish game with only air units.

When I say that it 'hangs' it means that the game stops when loading the AI, that was before I blocked all ground and water factories.

Now, I can have that 'air only' skirmish but not on all maps or all Ais, on some maps the enemy comander is pushed to the far end corner and it won't move, I even entered 'god mode' to move it myself and it won't, it gets stuck.

Other's AI like KAIK only behave normally at the start, they make their first 'rush attack' with bombers then later it only sends one or two mini-planes.

AII and Shard are the ones that behave the best. Given the time I would try to modify KAIK to use air units more but not time for that.

At least I can do those games which is what I wanted.

Thank you.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

mhunt wrote: Now, I can have that 'air only' skirmish but not on all maps or all Ais, on some maps the enemy comander is pushed to the far end corner and it won't move, I even entered 'god mode' to move it myself and it won't, it gets stuck.
I've seen this before when there weren't enough start positions. Can you check whether that was the case?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

When I say that it 'hangs' it means that the game stops when loading the AI, that was before I blocked all ground and water factories.
So the game runs but Shards units do nothing and sit idle? Can you reproduce this and send me a copy of the infolog.txt of that game?
mhunt

Post by mhunt »

MasterBel2 wrote:
mhunt wrote: Now, I can have that 'air only' skirmish but not on all maps or all Ais, on some maps the enemy comander is pushed to the far end corner and it won't move, I even entered 'god mode' to move it myself and it won't, it gets stuck.
I've seen this before when there weren't enough start positions. Can you check whether that was the case?

I moved the start positions to the spots marked on the map.

** I clicked on the 'report' button by mistake. :( if they bother you, send me a message.
mhunt

Post by mhunt »

AF wrote:
So the game runs but Shards units do nothing and sit idle? Can you reproduce this and send me a copy of the infolog.txt of that game?

yes, but it depends on the map.

ok, willdo so the next time I can play :)
mhunt

Post by mhunt »

ok, I tried today but the game stops at 'loading AIs", here's the infolog.txt, pretty large..

Other info on this game:

Client: Spring Lobby 0.254

GAME: BA: 9.04

1 AI: SHard using Core

me: using Arm

Map: Metal Heck 3.3

http://www.planeta3.net/data/infolog.txt
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Oh dear, that's a hard crash, I'll look into the cause and see about a fix, but it'll require recompiling Shard once done. Thanks for the infolog!
mhunt

Post by mhunt »

np, I think it's more on the AI that keeps trying to use the blocked factories and can't use air only properly. I had a few games, just not really challenging, easy to win since the AI's are not aggressive enough if no ground units are avail.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

If you check out the Zero-K mod, you should find Circuit AI fulfills your needs.
mhunt

Post by mhunt »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:If you check out the Zero-K mod, you should find Circuit AI fulfills your needs.

I'll check it out, as a fan of the original TA the game that always prefer has been BA :)
mhunt

Post by mhunt »

ok, for an air 'only' campaign (with ground anti-air defenses, radars, etc..) there is no AI that would give a good play. I played with several maps and AI combinations.

I guess the only solutions is to make an AI for this type of game, if I have the time I'll make one, I hope I have the time in the near future.

Thanks for the help and comments.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I made several modifications to the Shard AI, I don't think they'll fix the problem, but they'll make diagnosing the problem significantly easier, as well as show up any unexpected situations. The infolog suggests that the Shard AI lua files are either missing, misplaced, or are missing certain things inside them, but it's difficult to tell.

I'm not sure how you would update to the latest build of Shard on OpenSuse but if you can run it again with the newest source that would be super useful

Return to “General Discussion”