Version 0.72b1?

Version 0.72b1?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Morsey

Version 0.72b1?

Post by Morsey »

Hello all, new user here. Has anyone played around with the 0.72b1 version of the engine, when it still had the 'TA' moniker? I managed to download it and the source code through some address bar manipulation.

Engine - https://springrts.com/dl/taspring_0.72b1.exe
Source code - https://springrts.com/dl/taspring_0.72b1_src.zip

I booted it up on Windows 10 64-bit and tried out some more modern maps with the test shortcut (I don't know the address of the current server, so I couldn't use TASClient) and none of them crashed (I don't know if they work well, though, I only played them for about a minute each). In fact, everything worked quite well.

Maps I tested:

DeltaSiegeDry
FolsomDamFinal
Nuclear Winter v1
Small Supreme Battlefield v2
Small Supreme Islands v2

This had me wondering if someone could fork this source code and make some sort of "Spring Classic" for folks that are interested in Springs past (or folks that just want to play the Spring they saw in all those old YouTube videos), but with modern support and bug-fixes.

What do you think?
gajop

Re: Version 0.72b1?

Post by gajop »

Your request cannot be fulfilled: it's realistically impossible to apply existing bug fixes and "modern support" to a version that old.
Unless you're interested in the history, I'm not sure what your goal is.. There are plenty of games that still have "old graphics" if that's what you're aiming for. I don't see what's the point of being explicit about using an old engine.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

0.72b1 was iconic, but trying to get it going again would be setting sail for fail. So much has changed (for the better). Hell, wasn't that released like 6 or 7 years ago?
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

Return to “General Discussion”