Linux port progress? - Page 2

Linux port progress?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

clericvash

Post by clericvash »

yes of course my mod folder is there, i copied all files and folders from my windows partition so everything is there but it can't find my folder
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

clericvash wrote:I tried it in wine, i just kept getting the error 'no mods found' it can't find the mods folder :(
That also happens to me. You're probably trying to run the game from the «launcher» that wine installs. For some weird reason it doesn't work.

From a console, you have to change directory (cd /home/user/.wine/.../TASpring) and execute the executable from there (wine Executable.exe).

Optionally, you can create in the Desktop an aplication launcher using as command (wine "/path/executable"), don't remember well how it is, and with a working path to where the executable is. I guess that the wine executor tries to execute the Spring's executable from some other location and, if you do a link like this, it will assign a working path to the proper location and it will find the mods.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

I know nothing about development and only a little more about linux, but something on this thread doesn't gel. If TASpring works in WINE without sync errors, why shouldn't a fix be possible for the native linux version? Surely you can just do whatever WINE does in order to get around this problem.
malric

Post by malric »

The problem is not something wine does, the problem is in the executable - the computations are slightly different depending on the compiler sping is build with.

So even if the difference is very very small in time this increases and everybody in the game gets to see another game 'state'. This can be fixed of course, by resending one state to everybody, but involves more work.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

I actually open the spring exe itself using wine, right click > open with > wine so there is no problem in it finding it as i am already in the folder and have selected the correct exe file directly :S

Hopefully they will fix this problem with the new version or the actual linux port.

I am gonig to go back to fedora soon as suse has a few problems for me, fedora was rock solid.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Doomweaver wrote:I know nothing about development and only a little more about linux, but something on this thread doesn't gel. If TASpring works in WINE without sync errors, why shouldn't a fix be possible for the native linux version? Surely you can just do whatever WINE does in order to get around this problem.
:lol: Indeed! I've been thinking many times how ridiculous that is, even though i, kind of, understand why it doesn't work.

Return to “General Discussion”