Recomended graphic card

Recomended graphic card

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

malric

Recomended graphic card

Post by malric »

On what Nvidia graphic card would Spring to run with all the options enabled ? Does it use a specific Opengl version ?

I will use it exclusively for Linux (so I'm not interested in DirectX)and I have an ATI and I don't want another :p.

I think that an FX 5500 would do the job, but I would appreciate your opinion.

My next option would is an GForce 6200 but it's double the price of the 5500 and I don't know if it is worth.

(I have an AMD 64 3000+ so don't say it depends on the processor).
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

im assuming u r talking about XFX's? cos my GeForce FX5200 can run spring well (decals and such) but no shadows, clouds or awesome looking trees. XFX's are sw337!
malric

Post by malric »

I was talking about 'general' FX 5500 cards. :( . I saw spring on a FX 5200 at game start with more detail and it looked like it was running fine. But I did not checked exactly what options it had, or if it behaved good with many units.

So you say I should buy something powerfull than FX 5500 (which is FX 5200 with a greater frequency) ....
Last edited by malric on 05 Jan 2006, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

well as i said the 5600 is great BUT don't expect shadows, clouds or trees. still runs well though. and the 'splosions are pretty! :D
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

My Geforce FX 5200 ultra runs fine with all settings at max save shadows, but I dont knwo if thats because it's a 8x AGP card on a motherboard that only supports 4x.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

According to this hardware database...

http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/extsup ... v_crossbar

> GF FX 5200 doesn't support GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar...
Very unfortunately because all the other functionality is avaiable on the FX 5200...

And at the same time I discover texture_env_crossbar is a really cool thing, which I can't use without losing compatibility with nvidia cards :(
Damn nVidia!

I also really wonder if the crossbar is actually used, that could mean that you people couldn't use shadows all this time just the check hasn't been removed.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

I have a X800Pro, Still I turn off shadow. That costs half of my FPS, what is around 22*. Rather then 11 with shadows on.

*22 FPS, 2000 units and zoomed out max on a buzy part of the map. On the start I have like 120 FPS or so.

Spring can be good playable on a older card or be choppy on a new card, It depends on the settings.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

This is the worst possible time in the history of the universe to buy a graphics card. Wait 6 months, you'll get twice the performance for a quarter the cost.

Moreover, in 6 months, the Directx 10-compliant cards will start coming out - and if you don't have one, you have a paperweight.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

I'm thinking about buying a new mainboard with integrated GF 6100, these cost just 82 euro here, and have Shader Model 3 support. It probably doesn't have a very high fillrate though, but it's a cheap thing now and I can throw in a better card when prices have dropped again.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

umm, My video card is a Nvidia GeForce FX5200 and I can run all the pretty graphics: reflective water, 3d trees, and shadows. Unfortunately I get about 10fps when I run shadows, so I have them disabled most of the time.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

umm, My video card is a Nvidia GeForce FX5200 and I can run all the pretty graphics: reflective water, 3d trees, and shadows. Unfortunately I get about 10fps when I run shadows, so I have them disabled most of the time.
In that case the hardware info list is not updated. Send in your report :)
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Caydr wrote:This is the worst possible time in the history of the universe to buy a graphics card. Wait 6 months, you'll get twice the performance for a quarter the cost.

Moreover, in 6 months, the Directx 10-compliant cards will start coming out - and if you don't have one, you have a paperweight.
Good thing you said that, I was thinking of buying one.
Note to self - always do your research before blowing your money.
malric

Post by malric »

Caydr wrote:This is the worst possible time in the history of the universe to buy a graphics card. Wait 6 months, you'll get twice the performance for a quarter the cost.

Are you really sure (I don't watch the market too closely) ? For about a year now the price are the same where I live. A GForce FX 5200 costs the same now as it did in autumn 2004. (and that is tooo much for what it is now)

And I think it's not in the interest of manufacturers to drop prices to much... but then again maybe I don't watch the market closely.

And will Linux support DirectX 10 :-) ? Because I'm not planning to put Windows in the near future.

Thanks for the replies, now I'm thinking more seriously to buy a GeForce 6200
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

malric wrote:And will Linux support DirectX 10 :-) ? Because I'm not planning to put Windows in the near future.
AHA no.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

The FX5500 is probably the preferable card in the lunix market... Which is kind of funny because the FX series is probably the worst card series in all of gaming history, mostly because they have terrible directX support.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

The GeForce FX go5300 64mb in my laptop can handle all the fancy graphics with the latest Nvidia drivers, modded to work with my card.

I get around:
60 fps at minimum setting.
40 fps if I look at reflective water.
15 fps with shadows and high res clouds enabled.
2 fps if I actually try to play a game with shadows and dynamic clouds.
malric

Post by malric »

So maybe I should try the GeForce 6200 as 2 fps doesn't sound good...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Geforce FX 5200 Ultra on my machine gives 60fps on everything unless I set of 500+ nuke mines onscreen, or if I turn on shadows, at which point the framerate starts to average at somewhere between 18-22 fps, dipping lower when ltos of units are being used and weaponsfire. That and as I said it's an 8x card on a 4x motherboard.

and it was £30 from ebuyer.co.uk with a free copy of morrowind in mid-2004
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

For a supercheap but not so pretty option, my nvidia geforce mx400 64mb runs spring nicely enough on the minimum settings <_<

Some slowdowns with smoke, but that's about it. Oh, and it doesn't support some really fancy bits, so a few games will refuse to work (lego star wars is the only one I've ever had the problem with..CoD2 runs pretty nicely on medium-high settings, Rome:TW runs great on lowish settings, but I can handle most of the high end ones for screenshots and whatnot)

But by now this card should be about $10 USD. If it costs more than that, you're wasting your money. But hey, if you need a spare gpu and don't want to spend much, this one works well enough.

As for DirectX 10..damn, and I was thinking of building a comp in the very near future. Guess I'll hold off on that one.
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

If you plan on doing water maps, using shiny unit packs, or anything else that uses shaders, get a Geforce 6 series card (or 7). They are much much more efficient than the FX's at doing shaders. I found a 6600GT for $100 USD and am very happy with it. If you're on a budget, go for a 6600, it still is much faster than a 6200.

And at least for the US, the best prices on graphics cards are online or in stores with rebate deals. Normally physical stores rip you off.

Return to “General Discussion”