Game browser?

Game browser?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

code_man

Game browser?

Post by code_man »

What i think spring really lacks is a game browser in the lobby(ies), new people essentially download the cat in the bag.
There is no decent way of promoting the alternatives that are not (often) played ether this way.

It would be great if spring(web)lobby had a way to view what games are what, even if only in the form of opening a webpage on springfiles, the games page on the wiki or maybe best a website specified by the game itself.
Ofcourse this should have automatic download integration so people dont have to do manual installs in those cases.

The games page i mentioned on the wiki is also from my understanding highly outdated, atleast the s44 one and games like jaruia and mf arent even mentioned.
Maybe it would be best if each game even had its own special page or would be linked to an outside website, its really bad advertising for the whole community.

As a small sidenote i think gamedevs should advertise their games more to the outside on their own.
With game advertising schemes like these (none) its no wonder we have so few players.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Re: Game browser?

Post by raaar »

I've been told the games page is a wiki page that can be edited by everyone who can wiki the wiki.

I'll add MF in the next few days.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

There, MF is on the games list.
code_man

Post by code_man »

@raaar
Cool, hope it gives you some attention you deserve.

Seems i had completely forgotten to mention that the best thing would if there was a lobby window where all games are displayed in a small summary where you can pick them out of to download.

Another idea i came up with perhaps some way of being able to specify and official autohost would be neat so people can join right on in the official room without having to be overwhelmed by all the rooms.

Last i checked games had a URL specification in their modinfo.lua, maybe in the least that one should be openable with the lobby, the same way it calls the browser with other urls.

I dont want to give the devs even more to do than what they have, but i think a thing like this would go a long way in terms of usability and showing spring more as a platform for games rather than this strange black box it is now, at least for new players.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Thanks!

Springlobby allowing links to game rooms would be a nice feature. ZK lobby apparently has that. With that you could easily link to official game room, and use it when using the "promote" feature on autohosts.

the "newbies" channel is the most populated one on the official server, when you join it there's a link to more information, and within that, there's the link to the games page.

Code: Select all

[18:32:12] HELLO EVERYONE, welcome to #newbies!
[18:32:12] Ask any questions about installing/configuring Spring and playing games here!
[18:32:12]  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[18:32:12]  http://springrts.com/wiki/Read_Me_First
[18:32:12]  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[18:32:12]  to contact spring engine devs, /join #sy
[18:32:12]  trouble downloading games? check the read me first
[18:32:12] ** Set by [Fx]Bluestone
gajop

Post by gajop »

Springlobby allowing links to game rooms would be a nice feature.
Agreed, but definitely the wrong place to discuss this!
game(and chat?) room URLs should be specified on a server basis
should be fairly trivial though as both can be specified by id/name

Return to “General Discussion”